Shin Megami Tensei V announced for Nintendo Switch

It's time to get ready for Atlus' demon-filled RPG series once more, as Shin Megami Tensei V has been formally and officially announced for the Nintendo Switch. A Shin Megami Tensei game was previously teased last year, for release on Nintendo's new console, though only a few seconds of a teaser was shown, and it wasn't confirmed to be SMT V at the time. Atlus has uploaded a 1 minute long trailer which shows the city of Tokyo, as two teenagers, presumably important characters, walk into a train station. Fallen demons are shown strewn about the train station, as footage flickers to a post apocalyptic city, with the word "death" written over the screen. There's no release date for the game, or other information at this time.

Tzuba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love the fact that every SMT continuity gets released on a different console.

1 + 2 are considered under the same continuity, and both got released on Super Famicom.
3 got released on PS2, 4 and it's sequel on 3DS, and now 5 on the switch.

If this pattern will continue, we might see the 6th game on the PS5.

Eh 3 is the only outlier here. SMT has mostly stayed on Nintendo consoles, even the portable ones.

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hallelu! The most exciting Switch game announced so far.

Eh 3 is the only outlier here. SMT has mostly stayed on Nintendo consoles, even the portable ones.

I'm not entirely sure that was the original plan, though. SMT 1 was a multi-platform game, getting PC-Engine CD and Sega CD releases before being ported to the PS1. SMT 2 also had a PS1 port. I think the idea was to move the series over to Sony's machines, but since the Japanese starting buying more RPGs on handhelds, SMT IV ended up on the 3DS. The Switch just gives them the best of both worlds.

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is hoping that there is a official timeline to help those new and old fans piece together which game is first in the timeline

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YEE BOI

I agree, but smt 4 was a disappointment. I am only upset because they really had a low production value. I mean, after we got the glorious 3d battle in nocturne, the monsters in smt 4 only had 3-4 animation and the main character has no animation at all because of the first points view.
Erm did you actually play Shin Megami Tensei IV? The protagonist is literally the ONLY character with a 3D model and animations. In fact it didn't occur to me until I played Apocalypse when he joins your party and walks alongside Nanashi.

SMT4 is absolutely fucking on point. I enjoyed every second of it. In fact, my only complaint is the need to confirm actions like jumping and climbing cliffs, etc. Amazing demon selection and growth. The characters are all very likable! The music, however, is the star of the show. This game would be nothing without tracks like Lower Naraku and Ginza District. I want more games like SMT4 and less trash like SMT x FE.

Admittedly, Final, despite it's improvements on the original, irked me with the FRIENDSHIP bullshit. Yeah... that ruined it. Otherwise, 10/10 game.

Last edited by Pluupy,

Greymane

Lurking gbatemp pony
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I agree, but smt 4 was a disappointment. I am only upset because they really had a low production value. I mean, after we got the glorious 3d battle in nocturne, the monsters in smt 4 only had 3-4 animation and the main character has no animation at all because of the first points view.
I think that you are thinking of smt strange journey.

Enryx25

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Here is hoping that there is a official timeline to help those new and old fans piece together which game is first in the timeline
tlIxl6c.jpg

Reactions: death360 and Chizko

mario5555

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I've never seen this before, thanks.

I've only ever seen the video on youtube that talks about the origin of the series, the ...if spin off (which became Persona) then some of the offshoots and handheld versions, there's a ton of games in this series now.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank fuck I can play MegaTen on a TV again.
I'm surprised at a lack of PS4 version especially at how well Persona 5 did.

Persona 5 for PS4 was a port of the PS3 version that took them about 3 years (this was after the PS3 version was basically finished). So basically they haven't even developed a PS4 game yet. SMT5 has probably been in development for a while - dev kit may be easier to work with, etc.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Persona is a spinoff of Shin Megami Tensei which is a spinoff of the Megami Tensei series.
I took a look on gamefaqs.com, SMT 4 guess what was named? SMT 4 persona...
So... was the forth, a main plot of SMT or it's also a persona which is also a spinoff??

I'm so confused now...

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... was the forth, a main plot of SMT or it's also a persona which is also a spinoff??

I'm so confused now...
The small title "Shin Megami Tensei" on Persona games is just there to let people know the main series it is a spinoff of.

The plots are not connected to Shin Megami Tensei. In fact, most Shin Megami Tensei games these days aren't connected to each other either. Persona games take place in their own universe.

It's a lot like Final Fantasy Tactics being a spinoff series of Final Fantasy (eventually being called Ivalice Alliance and made relevant to the main universe).

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon being a spinoff series of Pokemon.

Paper Mario a spinoff series to Mario Bros.

Enryx25

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The small title "Shin Megami Tensei" on Persona games is just there to let people know the main series it is a spinoff of.

The plots are not connected to Shin Megami Tensei. In fact, most Shin Megami Tensei games these days aren't connected to each other either. Persona games take place in their own universe.

It's a lot like Final Fantasy Tactics being a spinoff series of Final Fantasy (eventually being called Ivalice Alliance and made relevant to the main universe).

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon being a spinoff series of Pokemon.

Paper Mario a spinoff series to Mario Bros.

Shin Megami Tensei is a spinoff of Megami Tensei :P

AT-LOWDeSu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm so confused now...

to put it simply, there was Megami Tensei, which led to Shin Megami Tensei and Shin Megami Tensei 2. Then they created Shin Megami Tensei If, which then splits into Shin Megami Tensei 3 and Persona 1. Persona continues and eventually becomes popular enough to be it's own series, and Shin Megami Tensei grows on it's own as a niche franchise. They still call the entire series Megami Tensei, as a lot of games end up being made that aren't Persona or Shin Megami Tensei, but get to be included in the expanded universe.

As for canon and story is concerned, there are really only so many games that directly connect. But it's believed that they all connect in a way, based on logic from Shin Megami Tensei 3, which talks about a large network called the amala network, which is essentially a vast collection of universes bound by the great will, to forever be destroyed and recreated. In other words, there are a fuck ton of universes that reset all the time, some have one main god, some have a variety of gods, but all are influenced by the great will/the axiom.

AT-LOWDeSu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thx guys, for explanation.
If you've enjoyed Persona in the past, I suggest starting with Devil Survivor or Digital Devil Saga. Both are Megaten, not Shin Megami Tensei, but they are good half way points between SMT and Persona.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended