Should There Be Tougher Gun Laws?

Deleted member 318366

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First the mass shooting at an oregon mall and now this? http://gbatemp.net/threads/connecticut-school-shooting.339189/ I'm usually not one to post my own opinions about news stories and stuff but this is serious, i want to hear everyones opinions on this. do you think there should be tougher gun laws? 2 mass shootings in one week...1 week!!! what the hell is going on in this world? and we cant forget about the kansas chiefs and jordan davis shooting either :( its sad.

Reactions: yuyuyup

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
I just posted in the other thread but that'll probably soon be deleted for somehow being off-topic. So I'll post it here anyway.

You guys are missing the point about gun control. I believe that the main factor with this is the fact that guns are SO easily accessible in the US and that anyone can quite easily just decide to shoot someone and make it happen within such a short space of time.

I mean, if I wanted to, I can gradually stockpile explosive material and detonate a large bomb in a city centre, but that requires time, planning and forward thinking. The same thing here in the UK (due to our strict gun laws), I cannot easily obtain a gun from my house or a friend.

Now anyone can have a few moments of madness, depression or a bad day, (as the majority of these 'killers' are NOT hell-bent criminals) and when guns are so easily to hand as they are in the US it is VERY easy to forget all sense of right and wrong, think "screw the consequences, what do I have to lose?" and simply go out and murder people, often taking your own life afterwards. If the gun laws are tightened these situations would undoubtedly drastically drop in numbers, the only few that remain would be from truly disturbed people or terrorists that plan weeks, months (or even years) in advance for some political or similar gain.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Guns just make it totally effortless and easy to disassociate from the action. Y'all can keep your guns. Just stop giving them to psycho/sociopaths...

And just to point out, the vast majority of guns deaths involve weapons that were obtained legally

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I only partially agree with Wizerzak. Gun control should be enhanced, but in the sense of annual psychological tests for gun owners as well as a more selective gun license distribution. I find it ridiculous that guns in the U.S can be simply picked up at K-Mart - the constitutional right for owning guns applies, but only when the future owner is responsible, mentally stable and is able to make sure that neither children nor burglars will have access to it. It's also a matter of what kind of guns are put on the market - let's face it, you don't need fully-automatic assault rifles for self-defense and you don't need a SPAS-12 for hunting - combat firearms like those should not be available for purchase by civilians without sufficient licenses (for example when said civilians run a shooting range or when they're required for some sort of sport events).

With the degree of firearm saturation we're seeing in the U.S, even in the event of totally banning the sale of firearms, people would still get their hands on some relatively easily - prohibition is never a good idea. What needs to be implemented is education concerning guns, their use and appropriate behaviour when facing attackers wielding them. Constitution aside, the U.S is no longer "Wild West" and the country cannot go on following the same laws that were put in place when its citizens were under an actual threat, be it in form of indians or other parties.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's sad yes, but I don't think that would stop it, it's every humans natural right to bear arms
Guns aren't really a natural right to own, it's a privileged. We are allowed to own guns, but that also means that we can lose that right at any time.

We need to regulate the amount of guns we have flowing this country. They have been become far to readily available to just anyone anywhere. We've gone way beyond protection and hunting into plain obsession at this point.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's sad yes, but I don't think that would stop it, it's every humans natural right to bear arms
Guns are not natural, therefore, owning them cannot be a natural right. You have a natural right for freedom (political, religious etc.), life (breathing, eating, sleeping etc.) and self-defense, and self-defense on its own does not entail bearing firearms.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You don't need guns to kill people. I.E some guy in China slashed 22 kids with a knife.
This isn't a problem with laws or restrictions, this is a problem with human nature. We can't fix it with regulations.
In a lot of ways I agree, focus should be put on educating the next generation, however some restrictions should be put on current gun owners as well to minimize risks until the nation is "grown up" enough to bear arms normally.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Like I have said before. Whether or not you want to admit it, war and killing is in human nature, as far back as we can detect.
Like it or not, as much as you want to think otherwise, we are animals. Smart animals, mostly civilized animals, but animals all the same.

You can take away guns. Hell, you can find a way to get rid of every gun and bullet in this country. People will still find a way to kill other people. There will always be a method. There will always be a reason. If someone wants another human being dead, they certainly don't need a gun to do it. That just happens to be the easiest way to take someone out of this world.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Like I have said before. Whether or not you want to admit it, war and killing is in human nature, as far back as we can detect.
Like it or not, as much as you want to think otherwise, we are animals. Smart animals, mostly civilized animals, but animals all the same.

You can take away guns. Hell, you can find a way to get rid of every gun and bullet in this country. People will still find a way to kill other people. There will always be a method. There will always be a reason. If someone wants another human being dead, they certainly don't need a gun to do it. That just happens to be the easiest way to take someone out of this world.
That's entirely correct. The only problem with guns is that they make the process simply "too easy", plus they do not require direct confrontation. There's a psychological difference between shooting someone and stabbing someone in the gut, as minute as it may be. "Unauthorized" people should not have access to guns, that said, circulation of guns should not be impeded at the same time, as they're a weapon as any other. It's a difficult reform to implement, especially in a country with such rich gun bearing tradition. Any new gun ownership legislature introduced with the intention to limit access will be met with a wave of criticism and protests and it requires several generations to re-shape what the nation thinks about guns and how they're percieved. Let's face it - the "need" for high-caliber or automatic weapons has vanished - the U.S is no longer under constant threat of internal conflicts of military nature. Outside of sports guns, hunting guns and small-caliber semi-automatic self-defense handguns, not a whole lot of firearms are necessary for the average Joe.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
You don't need guns to kill people. I.E some guy in China slashed 22 kids with a knife.
This isn't a problem with laws or restrictions, this is a problem with human nature. We can't fix it with regulations.
It takes a lot more mentally to slice someone with a knife than it takes to pull a trigger and as already mentioned, high accessibility to firearms shortens the process of planning and actually committing a murder. In the heat of things when the mind enters a brief state of insanity anything can happen, building or illegally getting hold of a firearm will take time and bring up thoughts of reconsideration, so is it really a coincidence that the US, a country with a high crime rate also has a high firearms per citizen ratio?

I must say that I still can't answer that one with 100% confidence myself.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yes, the laws should be a lot tougher. to the point where pretty much only policemen and similar jobs should be able to carry them at all. end of story.

OR

at the very least, there should be a plethora of tests and requirements to own a gun in the first place. gun-law tests, psychological evaluations, morale evaluation, the need to retake those every 4 years. something like that.

Reactions: yuyuyup

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gun control is already too much the good people cant get gun only the criminals can if someone would have a gun in the school they could have kill that maniac

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Gun control is already too much the good people cant get gun only the criminals can if someone would have a gun in the school they could have kill that maniac
Fighting fire with fire only works on paper - if the school was better secured, the attacker wouldn't even enter it with a firearm to begin with. Moreover, the attacker has the upper-hand - it's a suprise attack after all.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fighting fire with fire only works on paper - if the school was better secured, the attacker wouldn't even enter it with a firearm to begin with. Moreover, the attacker has the upper-hand - it's a suprise attack after all.

i saw a video of 2 people that went to assault a jewelry store and wan of the costumers takes a gun out and the two thief are stop right there

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's never going to be a law that's going to bam criminals from getting gun the only people who are going effected are the people who would never break laws in the first place. All more gun laws will do is create a bigger black market and put more guns in criminal hands. The best thing in this situation would have been if someone who worked at the school had a carry permit then this whole massacre could have been stopped

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended