くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
I hope you are not seriously comparing the U.S., the world's largest economy to Russia,Mexico, and Brazil...one of these countries has a massively corrupt government, the other is run by drug lords, and I have not done enough research about Brazil but I know enough that it is not comparable in GDP or quality of life. What about Japan, France, Germany, South Korea, U.K., or Spain....all of these countries have a form of gun control better than Americas..and surprise they have a lot less gun related crime, but because we have too many guns on our land we probably won't have the chance to be like them due to having a hugely paranoid population in the South who thinks Obama going to take their guns (he never will). But it would be nice to live in a country with no guns, hell Chicago wouldn't make as much national news..... and to be fair the crazy person wouldn't be able to kill as many people without the gun.
\
Giggity.

Also I took those 3 countries as an example of a black market created by drugs. I also explained what you said.
As I said, I'm not pro-gun or anti-gun, I just think this is a stupid argument.

Reactions: DinohScene

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your answer Hanafuda.
I didn't ask that because i think you're a pro-gun shill. As a matter of fact i like your posts and respect your opinion because it's reality-based and not theoretical.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your answer Hanafuda.
I didn't ask that because i think you're a pro-gun shill. As a matter of fact i like your posts and respect your opinion because it's reality-based and not theoretical.

Why, thank you. Thank you very much.

indiangold2-480x321.jpg

D

Deleted-236924

Invisible guns are far better anyway.
They should have something where you can trade in your real guns for invisible guns.
They can advertise them as "Magical and more powerful than real guns"

rwFm7.jpg

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd just like to post this article. This is one of the most educated and reasonable articles explaining why more gun control is not the answer. He also offers a few reasonable suggestions on what he thinks would be reasonable solutions.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A decreasing number of American gun owners own two-thirds of the nation's guns and as many as one-third of the guns on the planet -- even though they account for less than 1% of the world's population...

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Personally I think that it should be illegal to own guns, and if there IS a way to remove them all (or at least the majority) from the public, do it. Sure, it won't stop violent crime. Nothing barring some sort of enlightenment of the entire species will. But as was said very early on, it takes a whole lot more to knife someone than to pull a trigger. By being up close and personal for every action, the action is never divorced from the consequences. You KNOW what you've done when you can feel the resistance against the blade. When all you do is pull a trigger, it becomes impersonal, detached. It doesn't resonate with you the same way. So while knife crime might go up, violent crime as a whole would likely go down because not everyone with a gun would necessarily have the cajones to put the force needed behind a blade and feel it tear through flesh. Knives are also significantly easier to defend against. Stab proof vests are pretty easy to come by and pretty effective as there aren't all that many armour piercing variants of knives, are there? At least not until someone invents lightsabers.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... So now there are Newtown Truthers who believe Sandy Hook was staged by the government to take away guns...

*waits for dickfour...

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No. If no innocent people have guns how are they going to protect themselves from the bad guys with guns?
If the government goes bad (WORSE) how will you protect yourself from the military? That is why it was set up in the first place.
Remember Hitler, Stalin, others?
070113graph4.JPG

First the mass shooting at an oregon mall and now this? http://gbatemp.net/threads/connecticut-school-shooting.339189/ I'm usually not one to post my own opinions about news stories and stuff but this is serious, i want to hear everyones opinions on this. do you think there should be tougher gun laws? 2 mass shootings in one week...1 week!!! what the hell is going on in this world? and we cant forget about the kansas chiefs and jordan davis shooting either :( its sad.

What about 911? Look at all the people that died there! No guns were used, box cutters, knives, Planes. People die every day from violent crime, most of which is done by blunt instruments like baseball bats, hammers, knives, but hey guns are dangerous! If someone really wants to kill people they are going to do it no matter what. He could just as easily chained all the doors shut in the school and burned the building down with gasoline.

Personally I think that it should be illegal to own guns, and if there IS a way to remove them all (or at least the majority) from the public, do it. Sure, it won't stop violent crime. Nothing barring some sort of enlightenment of the entire species will. But as was said very early on, it takes a whole lot more to knife someone than to pull a trigger. By being up close and personal for every action, the action is never divorced from the consequences. You KNOW what you've done when you can feel the resistance against the blade. When all you do is pull a trigger, it becomes impersonal, detached. It doesn't resonate with you the same way. So while knife crime might go up, violent crime as a whole would likely go down because not everyone with a gun would necessarily have the cajones to put the force needed behind a blade and feel it tear through flesh. Knives are also significantly easier to defend against. Stab proof vests are pretty easy to come by and pretty effective as there aren't all that many armour piercing variants of knives, are there? At least not until someone invents lightsabers.

It Does not work banning guns just ask the Australians
Even Australia's Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research acknowledges that the gun ban had no significant impact on the amount of gun-involved crime:
  • In 2006, assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
  • Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
  • Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.

Transdude1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A similar line to what a Gamefaqs user had in his signature:

"Oh sure, making guns illegal is going to stop gun violence. What about murder? Isn't murder illegal? Oh and what about piracy, isn't piracy illegal? What about rape, isn't rape illegal? And what about drugs?"

What happened to countries that outlawed weapons? In Canada, the crime rate skyrocketed. In Poland, the most highly used murder weapon became the bat.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
  • In 2006, assault rose 49.2 percent and robbery 6.2 percent.
  • Sexual assault -- Australia's equivalent term for rape -- increased 29.9 percent.
  • Overall, Australia's violent crime rate rose 42.2 percent.

Bullshit. What is your source for this? Why are you looking at how crime rose in 2006 and not what happened after the gun laws were brought in a decade beforehand?

Is it because they show this?
http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/20...hooting_could_australia_s_laws_provide_a.html
Homicides by firearm plunged 59 percent between 1995 and 2006, with no corresponding increase in non-firearm-related homicides. The drop in suicides by gun was even steeper: 65 percent.
Studies found a close correlation between the sharp declines and the gun buybacks. Robberies involving a firearm also dropped significantly. Meanwhile, home invasions did not increase, contrary to fears that firearm ownership is needed to deter such crimes. But here’s the most stunning statistic. In the decade before the Port Arthur massacre, there had been 11 mass shootings in the country. There hasn’t been a single one in Australia since.

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country

Ah, from a right-wing think-tank. OK - any thoughts on why an increase in the assault rate from 2005-2006 is more relevant compared to the massive decrease in gun deaths from the time the gun laws were brought in? How come home invasions didn't increase? How come there was no increase in murders with other types of weapon when gun deaths went down? How come the UK has a murder rate at 25% that of the US, when you seem to think restricting civilian gun ownership will lead to criminals having the upper hand?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction