Should we say RIP windows 7 now?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That wouldn't help, if there are no motherboard drivers for it to work with the hardware.:!:

Okay that just freaking blows, to which I want to say to the manufacturer: what's wrong nVidia, afraid to make proper drivers? :rolleyes: Windows 10 sure seems all it's cracked up to be, amirite?

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
haven't had a problem in 8 years, realistically i think you're much more likely to get hit with new malware than old something that makes it past everything else is probably not going to be stopped by a windows update.
you're probably either just paranoid or the type of guy to get viruses.
You don't seem to understand how sophisticated malware works. Those that know what they're doing can bypass any AV detection. Even if it's not apparent, you're probably already part of a botnet. People like you are even more wide open because people like you think they know what they're doing when they don't. You're an idiot. It's the cold, hard truth. Even if you think you're being safe by preventing big, bad telemetrics from Microsoft by preventing updates, you're just opening yourself to any 14 year old with a Beta Bot setup. I honestly can't pity you, either. You are willingly allowing anyone into your computer because you ignorantly believe that Microsoft is out to get you more than actual malicious entities. Like I said, welcome to the ZeuS net. You are part of the conglomerate due to sheer stupidity.

That wouldn't help, if there are no motherboard drivers for it to work with the hardware.:!:
Stop using a 12 year old PC. It's pretty easy.

Last edited by Joom,
Reactions: hobbledehoy899

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From a security standpoint, that's not a very smart thing to do.
Well shit, I guess I'm dumb then. Running day one Server 2012 OS install for nearly 5 or 6 years without a breach or problem.

haven't had a problem in 8 years, realistically i think you're much more likely to get hit with new malware than old something that makes it past everything else is probably not going to be stopped by a windows update.
I'm in a same boat as you it seems.

You don't seem to understand how sophisticated malware works. Those that know what they're doing can bypass any AV detection. Even if it's not apparent, you're probably already part of a botnet. People like you are even more wide open because people like you think they know what they're doing when they don't. You're an idiot. It's the cold, hard truth. Even if you think you're being safe by preventing big, bad telemetrics from Microsoft by preventing updates, you're just opening yourself to any 14 year old with a Beta Bot setup. I honestly can't pity you, either. You are willingly allowing anyone into your computer because you ignorantly believe that Microsoft is out to get you more than actual malicious entities. Like I said, welcome to the ZeuS net. You are part of the conglomerate due to sheer stupidity.
I know this quote isn't for me, but it does pertain to me, the beauty of my setup is that everything is lost the moment the computer reboots or powered down, so no virus or malware is going to survive. The entire fully functional version OS is being ran from RAM drive.
Also could you use resource monitor to see if the botnet is taking up connection resource?

Reactions: Nightwish

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it isn't that easy. Especially when i didn't have the money to even try to build or buy anything newer for a literal decade.

Also, that system, at least on 7, lets me still use it with modern browsers, and i could still use a capture card, so i could actually start recording gameplay from my consoles for twitch and start speedrunning. I couldn't even begin to move my main pc and desk to try to do that stuff with it.

Your statement comes off as insensitive, and insulting.
Okay that just freaking blows, to which I want to say to the manufacturer: what's wrong nVidia, afraid to make proper drivers? :rolleyes: Windows 10 sure seems all it's cracked up to be, amirite?
Can't really blame nvidia, when AMD bought ati on that side of things, and intel either refused to renew platform access permissions or flat out sued any and every maker of chipsets for their CPU's not that long after my board was made.

It's part of what makes current boards feel so samey, and boring. At least back when there was actual options to buy different chipsets, there were more interesting offerings. Neither intel nor AMD would have even bothered back then to make a chipset that could offer both a PCI express, and an agp slot in the transitional period, but ULI did, in the form of the 939Dual-SATA2 board. Intel didn't even want to support sli at all on their chipsets, until they basically scared off everyone else from being able to make chipsets compatible with intel processors so they could have an effective platform monopoly again. AMD buying their direct competitor with acquiring ati more or less killed any reason to continue making chip sets for AMD platforms as well.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're implying Windows 10 isn't the final windows. I dunno, I just think 10 is going to be the definitive windows, Microsoft will just keep adding onto it. It's certainly not going to get replaced in 2025.
They might, but I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with Windows 11 or something else as one of their free and automatic updates.

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah, sure.
W10 is lightweight, it's fast and it's modern.
I mean, I advise against using Windows entirely, but if you have to, then go with the latest one.
I think 8.1 is fine too for now, but anything before that is a big no-no.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I know this quote isn't for me, but it does pertain to me, the beauty of my setup is that everything is lost the moment the computer reboots or powered down, so no virus or malware is going to survive. The entire fully functional version OS is being ran from RAM drive.
Also could you use resource monitor to see if the botnet is taking up connection resource?
It only takes one time to get anything useful from you. Even if you have a Deep Freeze host (or something similar) a keylogger or something like the Pony stealer would mine enough off of you. My point was about how @jefffisher might think he's being safe, when in reality that kind of mindset makes one totally open to someone that knows what they're doing. Just because your AV doesn't go off doesn't mean you're not infected. Runtime and scantime detections are easily bypassed since AVs heavily rely on heuristics. This is why I strongly advise against using services like VirusTotal because they're incredibly unreliable. And yes, you could use Resource Monitor, or any verbose firewall (I really like NOD32's) to check outgoing connections. If you want to do analysis locally, PE Explorer and Sandboxie are also helpful. If you ever suspect that you might be infected check for processes running from AppData. Malware tends to drop here because it can execute without triggering the UAC prompt.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Gee, we're so very sorry people like us don't have the money and resources to get a new and high-end PC every year like you. Give him a break. :rolleyes: Who pissed in your cereal this morning?

Can't really blame nvidia, when AMD bought ati on that side of things, and intel either refused to renew platform access permissions or flat out sued any and every maker of chipsets for their CPU's not that long after my board was made.

It's part of what makes current boards feel so samey, and boring. At least back when there was actual options to buy different chipsets, there were more interesting offerings. Neither intel nor AMD would have even bothered back then to make a chipset that could offer both a PCI express, and an agp slot in the transitional period, but ULI did, in the form of the 939Dual-SATA2 board. Intel didn't even want to support sli at all on their chipsets, until they basically scared off everyone else from being able to make chipsets compatible with intel processors so they could have an effective platform monopoly again. AMD buying their direct competitor with acquiring ati more or less killed any reason to continue making chip sets for AMD platforms as well.

One more reason why I haven't used AMD products in well over a decade, to be perfectly blunt.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Gee, we're so very sorry people like us don't have the money and resources to get a new and high-end PC every year like you. Give him a break. :rolleyes:

One more reason why I haven't used AMD products in well over a decade, to be perfectly blunt.
Now that's a tad pretentious.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that's a tad pretentious.

*Shrug* Okay? I don't like their products for a variety of reasons, like their shoddy driver support as he stated above, esp. for chipset drivers Not to mention that Joom was being condescending as hell to him, so he kinda deserved me being smarmy about it. "Stop using a 12 year old PC" wow, how low can one get? He assumed that codezero0 can afford top notch hardware every year and was inferior for it.

I don't like AMD, I don't think I need to explain or excuse my bias to anyone, really, other than I've had bad experiences with them and never had one with Nvidia, so...

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
*Shrug* I don't like their products for reasons I'd rather not explain on here. And hey, Joom was being condescending as hell, so he kinda deserved me being smarmy about it. "Stop using a 12 year old PC" wow, how rude can one get? He assumed that codezero0 can afford top notch hardware every year or something.

I don't like AMD, I don't think I need to explain or excuse my bias to anyone, really, other than I've had bad experiences with them and never had one with Nvidia, so...
That's true. None of his business what hardware someone is using.

Reactions: the_randomizer

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gee, we're so very sorry people like us don't have the money and resources to get a new and high-end PC every year like you. Give him a break. :rolleyes: Who pissed in your cereal this morning?

Not really a knock against AMD. Back in that day, I was very much an AMD (CPU) fanboy... the reason I went with the 680i was because CPU-wise, intel's Core 2 was indeed better, but intel's own chipsets were so same-y and limited, and for lack of better wording, boring. nForce chipsets were undisputably king for AMD CPU's because they were indeed faster and all the OC records at the time were done on them (DFI boards most frequently). But then, as if hearing the cries of those having to contemplate a platform switch, NVIDIA just came out of nowhere and brought us a chipset for those Core 2 CPU's that just blew the doors off what intel itself was offering at the time.

It wasn't until the first-gen i7 that intel even bothered to offer SLI support for their chipsets; and fewer boards made that actually had the lanes and slots to support it. So it was annoying, but not surprising, when intel just started suing or refusing to renew licences for the likes of SiS, ULi, et al to make supporting chipsets for intel CPU's. All I could surmise on the AMD side, is that when AMD (the CPU company) bought ATI (the GPU guys), several people saw the writing on the wall, feared the same behavior, and NVIDIA (among others) just didn't bother. :(

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really a knock against AMD. Back in that day, I was very much an AMD (CPU) fanboy... the reason I went with the 680i was because CPU-wise, intel's Core 2 was indeed better, but intel's own chipsets were so same-y and limited, and for lack of better wording, boring. nForce chipsets were undisputably king for AMD CPU's because they were indeed faster and all the OC records at the time were done on them (DFI boards most frequently). But then, as if hearing the cries of those having to contemplate a platform switch, NVIDIA just came out of nowhere and brought us a chipset for those Core 2 CPU's that just blew the doors off what intel itself was offering at the time.

It wasn't until the first-gen i7 that intel even bothered to offer SLI support for their chipsets; and fewer boards made that actually had the lanes and slots to support it. So it was annoying, but not surprising, when intel just started suing or refusing to renew licences for the likes of SiS, ULi, et al to make supporting chipsets for intel CPU's. All I could surmise on the AMD side, is that when AMD (the CPU company) bought ATI (the GPU guys), several people saw the writing on the wall, feared the same behavior, and NVIDIA (among others) just didn't bother. :(

Damn man, I wish I had an extra motherboard or something to get, something that would actually work properly on newer OSes *sigh* :( That still sucks.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

nothing goes through my network from my computer that isn't standard http through firefox, i don't have skype, steam or anything else that requires internet access i would notice even the smallest amount of traffic that didn't happen right when right when i'm loading a webpage the absolute only attack i'm vulnerable to is someone taking over my computer through a webpage i visit which as far as i know hasn't happened to anyone in a few years and even then mozilla will patch it before microsoft does. if that did happen i would notice long before the average user unless they somehow hacked my router too but that is up to date and isn't windows. my phone is probably at much more of a risk but hey if you want to look at my collection in pokemon go and a bunch of pictures of my dick just ask.
how can you even go on about how sophisticated malware is and then go on to think windows update is going to save you the bad stuff is going to slip right past windows update.
you sound young and uneducated maybe you should wait until you're out of college before the next time you try your hand at arguing.
i like windows 7 and i like it exactly the way it is right now, and has been for the past 8 years and i'm going to keep it as is for as long as i can or until something i like more comes along; and you can go eat a bag of baby dicks.

Reactions: Nightwish

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nothing goes through my network from my computer that isn't standard http through firefox, i don't have skype, steam or anything else that requires internet access i would notice even the smallest amount of traffic that didn't happen right when right when i'm loading a webpage the absolute only attack i'm vulnerable to is someone taking over my computer through a webpage i visit which as far as i know hasn't happened to anyone in a few years and even then mozilla will patch it before microsoft does. if that did happen i would notice long before the average user unless they somehow hacked my router too but that is up to date and isn't windows. my phone is probably at much more of a risk but hey if you want to look at my collection in pokemon go and a bunch of pictures of my dick just ask.
how can you even go on about how sophisticated malware is and then go on to think windows update is going to save you the bad stuff is going to slip right past windows update.
you sound young and uneducated maybe you should wait until you're out of college before the next time you try your hand at arguing.
i like windows 7 and i like it exactly the way it is right now, and has been for the past 8 years and i'm going to keep it as is for as long as i can or until something i like more comes along; and you can go eat a bag of baby dicks.
I would think you're the one that's way more paranoid is you, given that you think updates are evil and don't fix exploits when they actually do. you're just trying to justify having a bad position, that is all ("we get malware anyway, so i'll just leave myself exposed to all the malware instead of updating to block most of it!")

if you really think Microsoft would do something like that, why even use Windows if you don't trust it?

oh well, keep on the conspiracy I guess.

Last edited by ihaveahax,
Reactions: Joom and Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Classy. It's not a secret that you're wrong. You're spouting off nonsense that's objectively wrong and trying to shove it off as fact. You're running an outdated system (literally) and think anyone and everyone else is wrong or paranoid for updating. It's nothing short of an ego trip. You want to talk about arguing? You're like my 4 year old. Arguing without the slightest idea. Then you turn to insults. Cute.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?