Homebrew Sighax for dummies: An FAQ for the rest of us.

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 75,709
  • Replies 166
  • Likes 27

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the fifth issue, we can just install Boot9Strap without installing arm9loaderhax before while being in <11.3 I think.
Yes, if you have homebrew. It took me a few minutes to do it on my sister's 2DS....
That is absolutely true, but from my experience, it's been easier to go through a9lh then to boot9strap, than to go through a hardmod or dsiwarehax. Unless, of course, you already have dsiwarehax or a hardmod working beforhand.
11.3 doesn't need a hardmod, it uses SafeHax.

D

Deleted User

OP
11.3 doesn't need a hardmod, it uses SafeHax.

Using a hardmod is an actual option for 11.3, as it is with every firmware.

I'm legitimately surprised this is not pinned

Yeah me too. By now it probably should be.

It's A9LH. Arm9LoaderHax not Arm9HaxLoader.

Is that really a necessary thing to be correcting people on? I mean, I've seen it both ways, and it doesn't really matter as long as you know what it is.

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
That is absolutely true, but from my experience, it's been easier to go through a9lh then to boot9strap, than to go through a hardmod or dsiwarehax. Unless, of course, you already have dsiwarehax or a hardmod working beforhand.
We can just install it directly, I also think.

EDIT: Someone already said it. Sorry.

Reactions: Dionicio3

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4. So what can we do with it?
It can do pretty much anything a9lh can do (including the "true firmwares" everybody's on about), but can be installed with dsiware hax or a hardmod, which is easier than having to downgrade to 2.1.0 in order to grab the console-unique keys from the OTP, as well as being fix-proof by any system updates. Additionally, if you're of the developing type, the execution environment will be cleaner for you too.

Your link to OTP describes something very different. OTP in the case of the 3DS stands for "One True Pairing".

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your link to OTP describes something very different. OTP in the case of the 3DS stands for "One True Pairing".
That's a joke, right? OTP on 3DS is referring to "One-Time Programmable" ROM, since it's programmed at the factory and cannot be wiped.

From https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Factory_Setup#Overview (emphasis added):
Most, but apparently not all, units ship with tickets for all factory titles in ticket.db, signed with retail keys. All factory titles for retail units use the retail NCCH secure crypto; the NCCH access desc uses the retail keys for signatures, too. This suggests that at the point the factory firmware is booted for the first time, the one-time programmable (OTP) region has already been programmed or that the bootroms set the keys for retail by default.

Reactions: OrGoN3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w49byd81I_Y