Tutorial  Updated

Simple guide to install cIOS on vWii + backup NAND and keys

Simple guide to install d2x cIOS on vWii + backup NAND and keys
Last update: April 29th 2016
Still a valid hacking procedure as of September 2016.
(see Changelog at the bottom of the post)​

What does it do?:
This guide shows you how to install cIOS into vWii (aka the Wii-mode of Wii U) and backup vWiis keys and NAND.
cIOS is needed to use backuplaunchers like Wiiflow and USB-Loader GX.
This does not enable any hacks in Wii U-mode!

Note: You already need to have Homebrew Channel installed on vWii to use this guide (use one of these exploits)!
Lets go:
Download the following package:
www.mediafire.com/?n2zl8v5kn288j9d
(Mirror at the bottom of the post)
All files are up-to-date (as of april 29th 2016)!
Note: To avoid errors, only use the files provided in this archive!
Don´t mix with other d2x-installer versions, meta.xml files etc.
Don´t worry, everything is up-to-date and the latest and greatest version.

It contains:
- Dump Mii NAND v1.2
- d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii
- d2x-v10-beta52-vWii
- FIX94s d2x cIOS Installer 2.2 mod

First we make a backup of your vWii NAND and keys:

1.) Extract the contents of vWii_cIOS_apps_20131218.zip to the root folder of your SD card.
Note: Make sure that you don´t have any original Wii system files (like wads) on your SD Card!
d2x installer could accidentally use them for installation and brick your vWii!

Also make sure that you have at least 528MB of free space on the SD Card for the NAND dump.

3.) Launch Dump Mii NAND from the Homebrew Channel.

4.) The NAND and keys dumping will start automatically (the NAND dump will be stored in sd:/nand.bin, the keys in sd:/keys.bin).
Note: DON´t use this dump on an original Wii!

5.) When finished (depends on the speed of your SD Card), the Wii U will reboot.

5a.) (Optional, but recommended step.)
Dump your IOS one-by-one to wad files for possible semi-brick fix (for more info read this thread):
I.) Download YetAnotherBlueDumpMod from here.
II.) Copy the files to your SD card sd:/apps/YetAnotherBlueDumpMod and launch the app from the Homebrew Channel.
II.) Go to System Titles and dump each IOS individually to a wad.
When prompted to fakesign the ticket or TMD, say No to both.

It's a tedious process, but it could save you a lot of trouble in the future.

If you don't have CLEAN (non fakesigned) IOS, you won't be able to fix semi-bricked vWii.
You can't create non fakesigned wads from a NAND dump or from using ShowMiiWads. You NEED to use YetAnotherBlueDumpMod.

Now we install d2x cIOS:

6.) Launch d2x cIOS installer from the Homebrew Channel.

7.) Choose which d2x cIOS version you want to install, beta52 or beta53-alt.
If you don´t plan to use EmuNAND, i recommend beta53-alt.
Note: For info about the differences between beta52 & beta53-alt click here.

8.) Select cIOS : <d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii> (Alternative: beta52)
Select cIOS base : <56>
Select cIOS slot : <249>

9.) Press A to install and wait for installation to finish.

10.) Press A to continue.

11.) Select cIOS : <d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii> (Alternative: beta52)
Select cIOS base : <57>
Select cIOS slot : <250>

12.) Press A to install and wait for installation to finish.

13.) Press A to continue.

14.) Select cIOS : <d2x-v10-beta53-alt-vWii> (Alternative: beta52)
Select cIOS base : <58>
Select cIOS slot : <251>

15.) Press A to install and wait for installation to finish.

16.) Press B to Exit.

17.) Launch newest Wiiflow or USB-Loader GX or CFG USB Loader MOD from the Homebrew Channel.
Note: To copy game images from PC to your external HDD with the correct folder structure, use Wii Backup Manager.
To fix the 4:3 aspect ratio bug of the Homebrew Channel, see FAQ & Troubleshooting section.

18.) Read the FAQ & Troubleshooting section carefully!

19.) Happy gaming! :D

FAQ & Troubleshooting:
- there is currently no Bootmii for vWii, so we use Dump Mii NAND.
- there is no Hermes cIOS 222/223 for vWii (don´t install the Wii version!).
- connect your HDD to the upper back USB-Port.
- you need a Y-USB-Cable for some 2.5" HDDs to properly work (even when they worked on the original Wii), because the Wii U USB-ports have a lower power supply.
- if HDD gets detected but no games load or HDD "clicks" you need a Y-USB-Cable
- to prevent the HDD format message on bootup, use U-Stealth.
- some HDDs don´t work with cIOS 249(base 56), so change the cIOS to 250(base 57) or 251(base 58) in your USB-Loader.
- to fix the 4:3 aspect ratio bug of the Homebrew Channel use JoostinOnlines HBC Forwarder or tueidjs aspect ratio fixer (tueidjs fixer doesn't require installing a wad to the console, it's a homebrew to launch from Homebrew Channel before launching other homebrew).
- to (un)install wads i recommend YAWMM_EN 0.5e (english Version) or YAWMM DE 0.5e (german version).
- if you want to start installed wads like VC/Wiiware from SD card, you need to patch IOS80 (system menu), use this thread for guidance.
Note: This is dangerous! If you f*** up IOS80, you will get a brick!
Only use the patch if you know what you are doing!

- don´t install Priiloader, it will brick your vWii!
- don´t install original Wii Channel Forwarder, they will freeze on startup! Use the ones from this thread. (For WiiFlow you can use the official Channel Installer)

Many tools/installers/wads etc. that worked on the original Wii will brick vWii!
So be very cautious on what you install!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Changelog:
29. April 2016: Added download mirror as attachment.
22. December 2015: Some minor formating tweaks.
08. November 2015: Additional note under the downloadlink.
01. May 2015: Added note to the downloadlink.
19. February 2015: Added optional step 5a.) (thanks Cyan and JoostinOnline).
18. July 2014: Updated USB-Loader GX, Wiiflow and CFG-USB-Loader MOD links.
27. April 2014: Updated USB-Loader GX link to r1219 (thx Cyan)
21. January 2014: Updated Wiiflow link to 4.2.1.
18. December 2013: Merged d2x beta52 & beta53-alt into one installer (thx Cyan) and updated guide accordingly.
17. December 2013: Replaced xyzzy and FS-Toolbox with Dump Mii NAND v1.2 (thx Maxternal). Replaced d2x beta52 with beta53-alt. Added tools to fix 4:3 aspect ratio bug (thx Cyan).
02. October 2013: Updated USB-Loader GX link to r1218.
20. September 2013: Updated Wiiflow link to v4.2.
30. August 2013: Added link to IOS80 (system menu) patch thread.
23. August 2013: Updated USB-Loader GX link to r1217 and CFG USB-Loader MOD link to r65.
13. August 2013: Added link to HDD format message workaround (thx jayjay123)
04. August 2013: Updated USB-Loader links, added Wii Backup Manager link.
24. June 2013: Added CFG USB Loader MOD v70r61t2 link (thx Warlord698).
10. June 2013: Updated Wiiflow link to 4.1.3.
01. June 2013: Added YAWMM_EN (english version) to FAQ & Troubleshooting (thx JoostinOnline and Fix94).
28. April 2013: Updated Wiiflow link to 4.1.2 and USB-Loader GX link to r1213.
08. January 2013: Updated USB-Loader GX link to r1208.
04. January 2013: Fixed a typo, that could prevent the installer from detecting beta52 (thx yafaiz). Added link to WiiFlow Channel Installer v1.1.
02. January 2013: Added new version of FS-Toolbox (0.4d) and a link to YAWMM DE 0.5e (thx to Excelsiior for both).
01. January 2013: Wiiflow 4.1 link added.
31. December 2012: Removed d2x beta53-alt from the package, because ciosmaps.xml mixup causes errors. Added link to forwarder thread.
29. December 2012: Added new version of xyzzy (1.2.2 (unofficial), thx DarkMatterCore) and d2x beta53-alt to the package.
19. December 2012: Initial version.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• vWii_cIOS_apps_20131218.zip
    761.9 KB · Views: 2,445
Last edited by Cyan,

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks a bunch for this guide :]

I was just wondering, I'm using my vwii on a 1080p pc monitor and wii system menu and the games (using usb loader gx) aren't 100% fullscreen, whereas usb loader gx are (and Wii U stuff, obviously)
(I remember setting some Wii U overscan mode setting in the usb loader gx settings though)

any ideas ?
thanks for putting this guide together :)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The overscan setting in USBLoaderGX only affects the displayed area when in the loader.
The games use their own overscan values (if any set by the developers).

I think it's normal that it's not full screen.
try launching a Wii game from disc in vWii connected to a TV, it will be displayed like that too. it's the way it's rendered because Wii never had a real 16:9.
It was a fake one, 4:3 and 16:9 uses the exact same number of pixels width, but the game deform and compress the picture so it appear correctly when stretched by the TV's 16:9 display.

on WiiU the picture sent to the TV is a real widescreen format, so vWii is trying to fit the fake picture on it.

USBLoaderGX use a little more pixel horizontally than games, but still not full widescreen.

indiramedina11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, thanks for this outstanding guide @[Truth]

I have a simple question: i followed this guide perfectly, so i installed the base 56/249, 57/250 and 58/251 cIOS, but i have read that 56/249 is the only mandatory one and that the other ones are not really necessary.

The question is: how may i safely remove the unnecessary cIOS

For the people that recommends to only stick to 56/249, what could be the down side of installing the extra ones?

Thank you.

mamotte

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, this guide is awesome. A little question: Can I use any hard drive to run the Wii games? If there's no restriction, can you suggest me any brand or model to use? I know I'll have to buy a Y cable to power the disk.

meaty

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello. First of all I know how bothersome people who make new accounts just to ask a simple thing is annoying. So I'll try to be brief.

Is it possible for me to dump the nand into an usb stick? I searched for weeks to find a SD card to do batthax, since everything ever wherever I go is SDHC or microsd, and its 128mb, in short, not big enough to fit the nand.

Any work arround or I have to keep trying to find an decent sized sd card?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The question is: how may i safely remove the unnecessary cIOS
It's always recommended to not delete IOS. if it doesn't bother you, you can keep them.
If you really want to uninstall, you should use BlueDumpMod (link in the guide) to create a WAD file of the slot you want to uninstall, then use a WAD manager, pick the wad file and select uninstall instead of install. it will delete the content and the ticket.
But, like I said, you should just keep it. It doesn't bother you to have them.

For the people that recommends to only stick to 56/249, what could be the down side of installing the extra ones?
No downside to having them.
If you don't select the slot, they are not used. Only downside would be you lose less than 10 blocks on your NAND.

So, there's no downside to having them, but there is a downside to having only a base56.
base56 is usually recommended because it has the faster USB access. But NOT the best compatibility.
base57 has the best compatibility (it's required for few games, like Call of Duty) and it seems it's compatible with USB HUBs ! it's a little little slower to access USB than base56.
base58 seems to be needed only for some musical games (just dance, sing it, etc.). Base58 is the slowest IOS to access USB drive.

Installing only one cIOS slot is possible, but will depend on your needs.
If you don't need Call of duty or music games, base56 alone is a good choice.
A good choice for single cIOS is also installing base57 in slot249. You don't really need base56 as its only advantage over base57 is the slightly USB access speed it provides. You will really don't notice it a lot.

Hello, this guide is awesome. A little question: Can I use any hard drive to run the Wii games? If there's no restriction, can you suggest me any brand or model to use? I know I'll have to buy a Y cable to power the disk.
Most HDD should work, but unfortunately not all of them.
You can find a list of tested drives on our Wiki page.
Prefer using Hard drives instead of Flash drive. there are more issue with flash stick/key/drive etc.

Is backing up the nand supposed to take hours? LoL.
Edit: Nevermind. Slow SD card I guess.
yes
it depends on your device, but it can take hours :(

meaty :
if you need SD (not SDHC) for bathax then don't worry.
You can use SDHC after you installed the homebrew channel.
Just use any SD card size for dumpmiiNAND.

MicroSD is fine too for bathax (in fact there's no differences being micro or not).
Did you try bigger card or only read you needed an SD card without trying?
Just try and see if it works.

indiramedina11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Cyan !

Thank you very much for your answer, i followed the guide 100% perfectly but later i read your comments about having only 56/249 installed, that's why i asked that question, but now that i got your answer i'm not worried anymore.

Also i read your answer to meaty about SDHC, that's what i did, i did the Smash Stack with an old SD card then switched to a SDHC card and it works nicely.

I also want to let you know that i tried to load games from the SD card, but it didn't worked and looked around the net and got the next information:

BETA52 is much more compatible with SD Cards, and that what i did, i used the d2x installer and installed BETA52 at 56/249.

After that little change i was able to load games directly from the SDHC Card.

Why am i loading games from the SD card?

The answer is simple for me, i do not have a "Y" USB cable for an HDD to be connected to the Wii U, and i don't want my Wii U nagging me about formatting the HDD on each boot (although know there are workarounds).

The SD loading is much better for me, even esthetically is better.

Thanks for all your work and help !

Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm glad the guide helped you and you found more information in the thread.
It's always better to understand what you do instead of following guides without knowing why.

You are saying that you launch Wii game from SD, so I guess you are using Wiiflow or CFG (usbgx is not compatible with wii games on SD).
I didn't know beta53 had issues with SD card. Thank you for sharing this issue :)
that will help me helping other users.

salserpico

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello, this is my first post in this forum.
I have followed the guide to softmod the vWii (I used Lego SW) and everything seems ok... Except that the loaders I have installed (USBLoader GX and WiiFlow) do not go past the loading screen, and afterwards they send me back to the Wii Menu.
Shouldn't the loader run even without any connected device? I'd expect it to just say me "No game found" or similar.

Anyway, I tried to put a game in a wbfs/ folder on a USB pen drive, and it failed.
Then I tried with a powered hard drive and it failed again.
Eventually I put the game on the SD card... with no success.

What should I try or check now?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Returning to system menu is usually a symptom of missing cIOS or trying to launch a game but ISO is bad/not found.
be sure your cIOS are correctly installed. You can re-do the cIOS installation steps over the old one.

Be sure you are using most recent revision of the loaders.
for example, usbloaderGX has now compatibility for vWii and IOS58 that v3.0 didn't have.

salserpico

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi Cyan, thanks for your answer.
If I showed you my syscheck output, would it be enough to check if I am missing any cIOS?

SysCheck v2.3.2 HacksDen Edition par JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, et Nano
...tourne sous l'IOS58 (rev 6432).

Region: PAL
Menu Systeme 4.3E (v610)

Date de disque: 06.28.2011
Chaine Channel 1.1.2 utilise IOS58

Hollywood v0x21
Identifiant de la console: 605493887
Type de Console: vWii
Pays de la chaîne boutique: Belgium (67)
Boot2 v0
50 titres trouves.
35 IOS trouves sur cette console. 0 sont des stubs.

vIOS9 (rev 1290): Pas de patches
vIOS12 (rev 782): Pas de patches
vIOS13 (rev 1288): Pas de patches
vIOS14 (rev 1288): Pas de patches
vIOS15 (rev 1288): Pas de patches
vIOS17 (rev 1288): Pas de patches
vIOS21 (rev 1295): Pas de patches
vIOS22 (rev 1550): Pas de patches
vIOS28 (rev 2063): Pas de patches
vIOS31 (rev 3864): Pas de patches
vIOS33 (rev 3864): Pas de patches
vIOS34 (rev 3864): Pas de patches
vIOS35 (rev 3864): Pas de patches
vIOS36 (rev 3864): Pas de patches
vIOS37 (rev 5919): Pas de patches
vIOS38 (rev 4380): Pas de patches
vIOS41 (rev 3863): Pas de patches
vIOS43 (rev 3863): Pas de patches
vIOS45 (rev 3863): Pas de patches
vIOS46 (rev 3863): Pas de patches
vIOS48 (rev 4380): Pas de patches
vIOS53 (rev 5919): Pas de patches
vIOS55 (rev 5919): Pas de patches
vIOS56 (rev 5918): Pas de patches
vIOS57 (rev 6175): Pas de patches
vIOS58 (rev 6432): USB 2.0
vIOS59 (rev 9249): Pas de patches
vIOS62 (rev 6942): Pas de patches
vIOS80 (rev 7200): Pas de patches
vIOS236 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, Acces NAND
IOS249[56] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta53-alt-vWii): Trucha Bug, Acces NAND
IOS250[57] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta53-alt-vWii): Trucha Bug, Acces NAND
IOS251[58] (rev 21010, Info: d2x-v10beta53-alt-vWii): Trucha Bug, Acces NAND
vIOS512 (rev 7): Pas de patches
vIOS513 (rev 1): Pas de patches
Rapport genere le 2015/04/22.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it should be fine.
you can try to install v10 beta52 instead of beta53 if you don't need multiple USB ports for USBLoaders.

Try with latest revision of the loaders (usbgx latest revision is in my signature)

If it doesn't work then I don't know why.

salserpico

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Installing USBGX r1224 as an app works!
But I'm not sure I'm following: why a Loader installed as a channel doesn't work? Even putting v10 beta52 does not change anything.

Edit: Never mind. It was self-evident that there was no loader really installed, but only the channel...
Thank you for the help!

ken_cinder

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, there's something they are doing wrong : They think they can use their own links and tools instead of following tutorial's links. Users with issues are users who don't follow steps correctly.
They often think "the tutorial tells me to use version 2.2 mod, but version 3.1 is available !!! 3.1 is better because newer !!", and this is were they are wrong.
vWii softmod NEEDS d2x installer v2.2mod.

The Installer allows users to add new cIOS data to be installed manually in case of future cIOS release.
The installer itself was released when d2x v6 was released, so it contains v4, v5 and v6 only.
v7 and above need to be added manually to the installer's folder in order to list them in the homebrew and install them on the console.

If the users download the standalone installer from d2x googlecode, they will get only v6 as a choice.
They need to download d2x v10 separately and copy the d2x data into the installer folder.

Users who wanted to install a different version always had to re-create a different installer+data version.
for example, there were a "installer+v10" and a "installer+v10alt". Two different folders to generate in order to choose the cIOS to install.

To prevent this folder generation step, and because a LOT of users don't understand how to unpack a zip and copy a file to another folder location properly, and because the installer allows multiple version listed at the same time, I created a package with ALL the d2x version data already included in the installer.
The softmod guides in this thread contains the full package with all versions (well, on vWii only v10 can be installed, but on Wii I made a package with v6, v7, v8, v10).
The other softmod guide we have still tells the user to choose, download and extract the cIOS manually.

You should redirect your users to this thread or link to the already generated installer+data.

d2x installer v3.1 for WII : d2x v4, v5, v6, v7, v8, v10, v10-alt
d2x installer v2.2 mod for vWii : d2x v10, v10-alt
The Mod2.2 doesn't require IOS on root of SD Card or Online access! it extracts base IOS data from NAND.
Wii version is using 3.1 which required network or baseIOS on SD card because every users has a different version of NAND. we can't rely on their NAND to get base IOS.

You can use non-mod installer on vWii too, but it's more complicated and require additional steps : extracting IOS from NAND (should be done anyway, it's part of semi-brick prevention!), placing required base IOS on SD, using offline method in the installer.
2.2mod is recommended for vWii.

I'm using the tools in the tutorial link and I can't select anything but d2x v3-v6, v10 doesn't show up at all. The v10 folder is there, but they're not showing up.

Edit: I was running the installer from my USB drive, once I ran it from SD it worked.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I didn't know running the installer from USB had issues.
You had usb and sd connected at the same time? or you just tried with USB first, then SD because USB didn't work?

Having other devices connected when doing a hack could be bad.
maybe we should note that in the guide.

If you had old temporary files on your SD card used to hack your Wii, and decided to use USB to not delete your old SD files, it could have been bad.
the program, thinking the found files were correct temporary files from vWii, could have installed Wii files instead of extracting the correct one for vWii.

Good thing that it worked fine for you.

ken_cinder

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tried with USB first, then SD and it worked. Had nothing else on the SD card, and nothing present on the USB drive that could have caused problems. I still had the USB drive hooked up when using SD.

Replacing my Wii with the Wii U...getting cluttered. Hating the lack of Cube ports though, gonna have to get an adapter.

JohnnyZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need help please. I installed the beta 52 version but i want to install the beta 53 now. But the Custom Cios Installer does not detect the beta 53 version, only the 52. Thanks a lot.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: DBZ 90% filler lol