Hardware Slim drive repair possible?

Alex4nder001

Part-time thug
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was recently given a pretty beaten-up xbox 360 slim. Somebody had probably dropped or thrown it, but I managed to get most of the case back together. Anyways, I do have a working slim, so I connected the power cable and a controller and it boots up.

Then I try to play my Call of Duty Modern Warfare on it. The disc drive opens and closes, and the disc spins for a bit, but the game won't start. Additionally, I can hear a scratching noise coming from inside. My disc is fine, it works on my other xbox, but how can I repair the drive?

Im reasonably experienced in computer repair, but not much else. Apparently the mainboard of the drive contains some sort if key/firmware, which I might need to extract and reflash to another drive, but I do have a few PC optical drives lying around, which I could borrow some parts from.

UPDATE: I tried a copy of fifa, and when I took it out again I noticed some circular scratch marks on the disc that werent there before. Im assuming that either the motor or the laser has been knocked out of place. I've opened up the drive and everything looks fine, but when I hear scratching noises coming from the spinning disc the laser shakes a bit. And now my eyes hurt from looking at it

ANOTHER UPDATE: I noticed that if I press X it brings up an error message saying "Unreadable disc". Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by Alex4nder001,

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
get a replacement drive, a soldering kit, and a proper set of screw drivers. you will need to desolder your disk drive board from the junk drive and then solder it to the new drive. it's actually quite easy to do after you watch a few videos on how to replace the xbox 360 disk drive.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Option 2. RGH it and instead load things from USB, the onboard drive, have region free, hacked games, DLC, XBLA....

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nah Im hoping to sell it
Assuming you are not planning to chuck it at game, cex or gamestation then it hardly makes it a less saleable item. Whatever a replacement drive or drive PCB goes for will likely be less than a RGH chip and you are already sinking the time into it.

Alex4nder001

Part-time thug
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Assuming you are not planning to chuck it at game, cex or gamestation then it hardly makes it a less saleable item. Whatever a replacement drive or drive PCB goes for will likely be less than a RGH chip and you are already sinking the time into it.
I was planning to sell on ebay for about the same price as a discounted console at CeX. Anyways some people might still want to watch dvds on it - I watch alot of dvds on my xbox

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning