Homebrew Smealum confirms 7.x exploit. 8.0 to be tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If he makes this public how likely is it a "backup" launcher or homebrew channel will come out of this? Is it just going to be another 4.5 exploit where nothing really happens except exclusively piracy? Or do we just not know enough yet?
Backup launcher: highly unlikely according to the man himself. Homebrew: Likely - as long as people can be bothered to create it.

D

Deleted User

If he makes this public how likely is it a "backup" launcher or homebrew channel will come out of this? Is it just going to be another 4.5 exploit where nothing really happens except exclusively piracy? Or do we just not know enough yet?

The backup launcher will never happen with this exploit of smealum as it requires kernel access. It will only allow homebrew, with access limited to whatever normal 3ds games/applications have.

Reactions: the_randomizer

gamer765

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When gateway came out what did everyone expect, dumping your own roms to play.......No. it was untill later when it became available to do so and that means almost every gateway owner on this forum has download a 3ds game through piracy, so did you hope that the gateway flash cart was never released because that's what most flash carts. do.

I do not own a gateway or any 3ds flashcart and am on the latest update, 8.0. I will not support the chinese mafia by buying their hardware which allows me to play commercial games that I downloaded for free.

some1ne

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I kinda hope they never release anything because although everyone claims "homebrew", they actually mean "piracy".

They crack the thing wide open and then they circlejerk their stuff because "oh no piracy is bad we will not release it because we are very good people" "but we will tell everyone we can do it anyway".

Reactions: Brian117

gamer765

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's their work, they can do whatever they please with it. We are not entitled to anything. If you want it really bad, go make your own exploits and backup launchers.

Reactions: groxack and ghjfdtg

Dyshonest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's their work, they can do whatever they please with it. We are not entitled to anything. If you want it really bad, go make your own exploits and backup launchers.
A lot of this, of course, assumes their "work" is even real and not just shopped pictures.

some1ne

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

I'm not interested in piracy, I can buy a 4.5 3DS with gateway if I wanted to.

I'm just saying that these people can crack the whole thing and then try to stop the inevitable by crippling their own work (exploits, etc) that could be used by other people to contribute to the homebrew scene and people who want to use the hardware they paid for the way they want to.

Reactions: Brian117

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A lot of this, of course, assumes their "work" is even real and not just shopped pictures.
Judging by the fact that smealum uploaded a github repo for a homebrew development library (Gateway even thanked him for this iirc) and showed things like the leaked event poke's early it would be almost impossible to be not real, lol.

gamer765

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*puts on tin foil hat* oh yeah of course. It's all photoshopped even though there's videos of all of this.

Reactions: ghjfdtg

gamer765

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not interested in piracy, I can buy a 4.5 3DS with gateway if I wanted to.

I'm just saying that these people can crack the whole thing and then try to stop the inevitable by crippling their own work (exploits, etc) that could be used by other people to contribute to the homebrew scene and people who want to use the hardware they paid for the way they want it.

Well they have to cover their own rear end. Should they release with everything unlocked, that could give Nintendo grounds for a lawsuit, much like Sony did to geohot with the PS3 jailbreak.

I like how most people here care only for themselves and feel entitled to everything. Again we mention homebrew, but come on, we know you dont really care for mostly half-assed homebrew and really want the "backup launchers homebrew"

Reactions: groxack and ghjfdtg

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What, WHAT??? Did I somehow miss this??

Well they have to cover their own rear end. Should they release with everything unlocked, that could give Nintendo grounds for a lawsuit, much like Sony did to geohot with the PS3 jailbreak.

Only because he had his name accessible.

Actually no one has the right to be pissed off since the 3DS did not come bundled or come with the promise of a third party exploit. Nintendo sold you the console and that's it. All these exploits are just extras that individuals came up with to do their own thing. No one has to release anything, they are not obligated to. I kinda hope they never release anything because although everyone claims "homebrew", they actually mean "piracy".

It's attitudes like that that kill hacking scenes. Smealum said that kernel-level access has to be gained in order to run ROMs. In other words, his exploit won't allow it.

Reactions: jastolze

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically this. Carefully releasing it anonymously could be an option, but now everybody and their moms know who smealum is.

Regardless, you have to have kernel-level access to run ROMs, which his hack doesn't allow. From the looks of it, he's prepping it for release irrespective of what all the AP whiners are bellowing. He's doing what Gateway refuses to do, releasing a working hack on newer firmware.

Reactions: Margen67

some1ne

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Regardless, you have to have kernel-level access to run ROMs, which his hack doesn't allow. From the looks of it, he's prepping it for release irrespective of what all the AP whiners are bellowing. He's doing what Gateway refuses to do, releasing a working hack on newer firmware.

If it can run homebrew and he actually releases it, I'm fine. He seems to be holding it back just because of the fear of piracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE