Hacking Question So did anybody update their Switch?

Will you update your Switch?

• Yes

Votes: 43 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • I'll wait and see!

Votes: 35 35.7%

• Total voters

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mines been updated. Im not really interested in piracy. I like to collect as well as play. I would like to pirate some digital releases tho.... If i was worried about the exploits id just buy a second switch. Every firmware will be exploitable.

Reactions: Xzi
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not interested in piracy. I bought my Switch to play games, and if I can't play games, what's the point? I'm always updating. If the chip can give me homebrew on the latest firmwares while still letting me buy games from the eShop and play online, then that's great, I'll take it. If not, not much lost.

Loving my Switch. No homebrew in the world's worth missing out on using the gosh darn thing for all the games I want to play.

rac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not updating probably ever, i doubt any exploit will be futureproof either. at least not this early in the console's life cycle.

plus there's a chance it's just some joke to get people to update off of 3.0.0.

Reactions: DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the homebrew scene doesn't offer anything I can't do on my other devices then I won't hesitate to update modchip or not. Having redundant homebrew doesn't make up for only being able to play a small handful of games. I would probably sell it off to someone that wanted homebrew and buy a new one.

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a fan of mod chips, besides I been updating all the time, since Sonic Manic was released. Nintendo has to make some very bad decisions in 2018 to make me want homebrew, like having Virtual console emulation outdated, and not supporting mostly demanded games like Chrono Trigger, or what not. In that case I just want emulators out of homebrew, I could care less for piracy at the condition these games are. You'll be buying a ton of SD cards for those file sizes of those cart games that can't even fit on to a 16GB cart they are using and won't be upgrading anytime soon. With no HDD support is gonna be expensive for all those SD cards you need those games to fit on, is not even worth it in comparison.

I hate to break it to you, but running ROMS in emulators is piracy.

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate to break it to you, but running ROMS in emulators is piracy.
That's a bit of an untrue blanket statement.
Not everyone lives in a country that is goverened by the same laws, but even if we assume we're talking about the USA, you do know some people dump their own roms, right?
There's also public domain and freely distributed homebrew roms to consider.

To clarify, it's not illegal to run a rom in an emulator, nor is it piracy. It is usually considered piracy to distribute and download copywritten content.

Last edited by jaksy,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly think it would be so stupid to do so if you're waiting on homebrew, CFW, etc. This could be a complete hardware solution, and "soft vulnerabilities", may not even be around on later firmwares.

A little late to be saying that now, no? Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A little late to be saying that now, no? Damned if we do, damned if we don't.
Not really too late. I think it's good to say either way for those who hadn't updated yet, and good for the idiots who saw this new hardware mod thing and thought, "Sure, updating is okay now!" so they can learn.

So... yeah... not really.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to mention the switch is missing a lot of features that will be coming soon and require updates. With being on 3.0.0 I guess the only think people need is usb controller support on dock mode and nothing else. Hoping for more features soon. Kinda disappointed that the video recording only works for 30 seconds and have 30FPS limit, not even 1080P resolution.

Soluble

Trophies
XP
Country
Free solution or paid solution, Devs deserve to get paid for their work. I'm betting those whinging about a paid solution have never donated to a Dev anyway.

Last edited by Soluble,

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a bit of an untrue blanket statement.
Not everyone lives in a country that is goverened by the same laws, but even if we assume we're talking about the USA, you do know some people dump their own roms, right?
There's also public domain and freely distributed homebrew roms to consider.

To clarify, it's not illegal to run a rom in an emulator, nor is it piracy. It is usually considered piracy to distribute and download copywritten content.

Yeah, it was kinda a broad statement. However downloading rom images of games you do not own (or do own in the USA) is piracy. Heck, making backups of games you own is also piracy (in the USA). Emulators, for the most part, are just used facilitate piracy. You can hide behind the grey-ish legal matters all you want, but everyone knows what these things are used for.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really too late. I think it's good to say either way for those who hadn't updated yet, and good for the idiots who saw this new hardware mod thing and thought, "Sure, updating is okay now!" so they can learn.

So... yeah... not really.

Hardware modding isn't for everyone, i.e. not everyone has the skills, and it's riskier than softmod, 4.x.x clearly isn't going to have any kind of exploits, so hard mod is the only option.

Yeah, it was kinda a broad statement. However downloading rom images of games you do not own (or do own in the USA) is piracy. Heck, making backups of games you own is also piracy (in the USA). Emulators, for the most part, are just used facilitate piracy. You can hide behind the grey-ish legal matters all you want, but everyone knows what these things are used for.

Look up Bleem! v. Sony, Connectix v. Sony, Accolade v. Nintendo, in all cases, the Supreme Court deemed emulators as legal, because they don't violate copyrights, and hardware under US law, can't be copyrighted.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: they be like which lite firefox exe pls