Homebrew So what happened to DS GAME MAKER?

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Works fine for me, it has OS compatibility issues but there is a way to make all those errors stop on Windows 10. I had to do a lot of crap just to get it to run, tons of replacing and what not. Someone just needs to get a hold of the source and update everything on it, hasn't been touched since 2013 (we barely had the ability to make decent stuff at the time) so it is safe to say it needs a good upgrade.

GitHub:
https://github.com/jadaradix/dsgamemaker

jadaradix

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Old thread - sorry.

I made this software 10 years ago when I was a kid. It's very surreal to read about it in 2018. It's like I'm the last survivor of Titanic. (?)

I could theoretically get this software up and running in a Windows VM. There's a chance it could even work on Mac/Linux with a rewrite of the filesystem layer (it writes to C:/devkitPro probably). Actually people e-mail me about DSGM every 3 months or so!

I still have my DS Lite (silver) from when I made this software. Wow.

If I made this work it would likely be over Christmas this year, but I promised this for the past 10 Christmases so don't hold out.

Peace.
- J

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. Old thread - sorry.

I made this software 10 years ago when I was a kid. It's very surreal to read about it in 2018. It's like I'm the last survivor of Titanic. (?)

I could theoretically get this software up and running in a Windows VM. There's a chance it could even work on Mac/Linux with a rewrite of the filesystem layer (it writes to C:/devkitPro probably). Actually people e-mail me about DSGM every 3 months or so!

If I made this work it would likely be over Christmas this year, but I promised this for the past 10 Christmases so don't hold out.

Peace.
- J
Hey dude, I’ve been using the software for quite a while now, I must say this isn’t half bad at all (it’s not bad really but it does have kinks and what not is what I’m saying). DS Game Maker itself is really nice for beginners, I will admit though it feels really incomplete in terms of features and what not. Today we have tools to take ROM images apart, we also have tools to edit the content of the file system of such ROMs. Obviously DS Game Maker wasn't meant to edit ROMs, however just knowing how the ROM structure is for the DS, you will come to realize that the way the games are built with DS Game Maker is different than the average ROM. Instead of using .sdat for the sounds and music in general, we have the option to import .mp3 files (works well to some extent on emulators, the quality on real hardware though is a bit rough). I am actually trying to make a full fledged game with this software, not in a generic way either, I mean a literal fully fledged game built from the ground up. However I ran into some issues doing so, here is a list of issues I encountered or I feel is an issue due to some limiting factors this software gives in certain areas:

1. This software doesn't run good at all on Windows 10 without having to replace some content and what not. I had to mess around with the devkitpro contents just to make it work right (at least from what I can tell it works fine now).
2. No keyboard combinations, this is very problematic for obvious reasons. I would like to use Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, etc. and get stuff done more efficiently than having to use my mouse for just about everything. I do a lot of projects on my PC that I tend to use key combinations with.
3. Unable to move anything around on the left panel with the main content. Example, say I wanted to drag and drop "Sprite 1" to sit above "Sprite 2", I am unable to do so, dragging and dropping just doesn't seem to exist at least for me with this software.
4. Unable to use/import custom ROM icon images. I am not entirely sure if maybe I am missing this in the software but even so, I end up having to use a ROM editing tool just to import a ROM icon image (ROM icon images are 32x32 by the way).
5. Sprites and Objects are limited in size. This probably sounds confusing (sorry) but basically I am unable to use sprites or objects that are bigger than what the software currently offers or allows us to import. Example, say I want to import Ridley (the sprites and frames) from a Metroid game into DS Game Maker, I am unable to because apparently I am only able to import things smaller than 64x64. Last I checked Ridley is bigger than that lol.
6. Importing sounds and music via .mp3 files. Now I will admit this is a fantastic concept, it's pretty easy to use mp3's, however the quality on real hardware sounds a bit terrible. In a way that is to be expected based on what is imported in general, since the DS can only handle so much in terms of sound, obviously certain pitches and what not would sound glitchy or just down right broken. However even if you build up your own custom theme that fits well within the DS's limitations, it still sounds a rough around the edges. That is probably why ROMs use .sdat instead of the mp3 imports and what not.
7. Unable to use the latest version of devkitpro. Not much else to explain with this, it's pretty evident that this is problematic to an extent lol.
8. Lacks quite a few features that normal Game Maker today has that could potentially be useful for DS Game Maker. Nothing much else to say on this, it's evident on it's own.

There are some other issues I would like to address, however I don't want to dish out a plate of a mountain here, overall the software in general works really well for what it does currently. For a kid at the time making something like this, you did fantastic, you are pretty smart dude :D. I am not expecting fixes for these issues either, I merely wanted to list the issues I feel could be improved, changed/rewritten, etc. Thank you for the work you put into this, I hope one day this software will see the day of light again in a modern age like today now that we have much better knowledge of the consoles, how they work, etc. Maybe one day a more modern version of DS Game Maker will rise and bring new hope for the DS scene, one can only hope right lol.

Reactions: DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

The GBATemp Hacker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. Old thread - sorry.

Peace.
- J
Well It's nice to know you that you still care about it after 10 years lol! Also a qick question did you do this in C++

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Hi. Old thread - sorry.

Peace.
- J
Is this you? @DSGameMaker
Shame you would lose something as valuable as a GBAtemp password :P

Heh, anyway, nice seeing you around again. Hopefully you can give this old tire another kick, if just for nostalgia reasons even.

Beware though, your old pal Wintermute still lurks these forums :ninja:
Well It's nice to know you that you still care about it after 10 years lol! Also a qick question did you do this in C++
Probably the same reason Nintendo uses it: lightweight, fast, tons of mature libraries, extremely popular in game dev. DevkitARM.
There really isn't any other choice for a weak, embedded platform like DS.

Last edited by zoogie,
Reactions: DRAGONBALLVINTAGE
D

Deleted User

STAY TUNED! IT WILL BE BACK... atleast for windows 7 users.. a windows 10 version "may" be released at some point.. trying to convince James.. but for now he will get 4.9 and 5.12 working again. i'm glad i have more than 1 pc and 1 has windows 7.. :D

i am in the middle of making the OFFICIAL fan site - (with James) and it will be up soon with a forum..

Last edited by ,

clearquare

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah, I have a say too! I also do want this you speak of to happen, be sure to notify us immediately when you open the forum, so can go there and create my acc. I also await him to post here again, maybe fundraiser donations to make a budget and pay for this. thanks!

edit: I went to sleep like 12 hours ago, woke up and no one has posted in this topic.no after me. interest in doing this might be way too slim and low after all.

I was asking my self if Cturt/dsgmLib means anything around here in this conversation?

I just tried renaming an action and I do not understand how. Implementing yet a new programming language would seem like a good idea to do.

if anybody finds how to rename an action please let me now.

Last edited by clearquare,
D

Deleted User

as far as this topic goes, it's an old topic.. so don't expect many to be posting in this specific topic...

i'm not the coder of DS Game Maker.. all i am saying is there is gonna be a new fan site for it that i am putting together and a new forum for it with the help of James the creator of DS Game Maker..

ALL DS Game Maker questions should wait until the site and forum is up and running.. As it will be the OFFICIAL fan site for it. because honestly i don't think you'll find or get any answers on here.

anyways, my next and last post on here will be the date and url of the site which will also connect to the forum once we get it all up and running.

clearquare

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I can help, I'd like to join 'this' development. Could you send me a PM with the link to the forum you speak of please, then I will delete my account here and move there. I promise to promote a good impression of me.

https://programminghub.io/

https://getmimo.com/

SoloLearn: Learn to Code for Free!

https://www.codeavengers.com/

www.android-ide.com

https://www.raspberrypi.org/

https://quizizz.com

https://www.w3docs.com/

https://www.w3schools.com/

EDIT: ima eat a burger and then continue with my certificate reaching goal. now to get some sleep..
ttmorow..

edit2: n3ds support would be nice.. I have been surfing here and 3DS mode would be nice to have.

Last edited by clearquare,
D

Deleted User

this will be my last post on here... here is your updated info that was requested. please keep all inquires of DSGM to the following where the help is best informational and up to date.

Forum: http://dsgamemakerfan.unaux.com/index.php

both are still being worked on, so don't expect perfection at this time.. i am working on them.

we will NOT nor ever will support anything other than DSGM software which is specifically for the DS! the fan site and website are specifically for DSGM only!

Last edited by ,
Reactions: I pwned U!
D

Deleted User

i sent you a reminder to your email... check your spam and trash folders as well.. if you still don't get it, let me know

SKGbop

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hello, I am making the (DS EDITOR) I thought I could use some help from the creator of A ds editor
Hi. Old thread - sorry.

Peace.
- J

Russian-Router

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
It needs an older devkitPro version, though.
This installs an older version, required for DSGM to compile games.
Can u MediaFire that please?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hey dude, I’ve been using the software for quite a while now, I must say this isn’t half bad at all (it’s not bad really but it does have kinks and what not is what I’m saying). DS Game Maker itself is really nice for beginners, I will admit though it feels really incomplete in terms of features and what not. Today we have tools to take ROM images apart, we also have tools to edit the content of the file system of such ROMs. Obviously DS Game Maker wasn't meant to edit ROMs, however just knowing how the ROM structure is for the DS, you will come to realize that the way the games are built with DS Game Maker is different than the average ROM. Instead of using .sdat for the sounds and music in general, we have the option to import .mp3 files (works well to some extent on emulators, the quality on real hardware though is a bit rough). I am actually trying to make a full fledged game with this software, not in a generic way either, I mean a literal fully fledged game built from the ground up. However I ran into some issues doing so, here is a list of issues I encountered or I feel is an issue due to some limiting factors this software gives in certain areas:

1. This software doesn't run good at all on Windows 10 without having to replace some content and what not. I had to mess around with the devkitpro contents just to make it work right (at least from what I can tell it works fine now).
2. No keyboard combinations, this is very problematic for obvious reasons. I would like to use Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, etc. and get stuff done more efficiently than having to use my mouse for just about everything. I do a lot of projects on my PC that I tend to use key combinations with.
3. Unable to move anything around on the left panel with the main content. Example, say I wanted to drag and drop "Sprite 1" to sit above "Sprite 2", I am unable to do so, dragging and dropping just doesn't seem to exist at least for me with this software.
4. Unable to use/import custom ROM icon images. I am not entirely sure if maybe I am missing this in the software but even so, I end up having to use a ROM editing tool just to import a ROM icon image (ROM icon images are 32x32 by the way).
5. Sprites and Objects are limited in size. This probably sounds confusing (sorry) but basically I am unable to use sprites or objects that are bigger than what the software currently offers or allows us to import. Example, say I want to import Ridley (the sprites and frames) from a Metroid game into DS Game Maker, I am unable to because apparently I am only able to import things smaller than 64x64. Last I checked Ridley is bigger than that lol.
6. Importing sounds and music via .mp3 files. Now I will admit this is a fantastic concept, it's pretty easy to use mp3's, however the quality on real hardware sounds a bit terrible. In a way that is to be expected based on what is imported in general, since the DS can only handle so much in terms of sound, obviously certain pitches and what not would sound glitchy or just down right broken. However even if you build up your own custom theme that fits well within the DS's limitations, it still sounds a rough around the edges. That is probably why ROMs use .sdat instead of the mp3 imports and what not.
7. Unable to use the latest version of devkitpro. Not much else to explain with this, it's pretty evident that this is problematic to an extent lol.
8. Lacks quite a few features that normal Game Maker today has that could potentially be useful for DS Game Maker. Nothing much else to say on this, it's evident on it's own.

There are some other issues I would like to address, however I don't want to dish out a plate of a mountain here, overall the software in general works really well for what it does currently. For a kid at the time making something like this, you did fantastic, you are pretty smart dude :D. I am not expecting fixes for these issues either, I merely wanted to list the issues I feel could be improved, changed/rewritten, etc. Thank you for the work you put into this, I hope one day this software will see the day of light again in a modern age like today now that we have much better knowledge of the consoles, how they work, etc. Maybe one day a more modern version of DS Game Maker will rise and bring new hope for the DS scene, one can only hope right lol.
Can you get me a link? I use XP for my projects. I use Linux after 10 came out. I need to use 7 though? I can do that. I'm NOT interested in the C coding. Can I modify in this though? Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: gn