Homebrew So why exactly wouldn't SSSpwn work with "backups"?

flarn2006

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know smealum said SSSpwn doesn't work to run 3DS ROMs. I'm not doubting him; I'm just wondering how that's possible. It's not like it would require a higher privilege level than the exploit gives you, as Cubic Ninja wouldn't run with lower privileges than every other game. Isn't usermode access all that's needed? I don't see how running 3DS ROMs would be any more complicated than decrypting it and converting it to the proper format accepted by the homebrew loader.

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
User mode exploit, not kernel exploit. The files SSSpwn will run are supposedly just directly compiled code, not typical roms.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
The exploit allows access to userland arm11 code through a game exploit. The mset exploit (the ds profile thingy) was used to achieve this in Gateway. At this point, Gateway and SSSpwn differ. Gateway uses a FIRM (firmware) exploit to access arm9 code execution privileges. This level of priviliges is required for spoofing the firmware and running an emulated 3DS menu like Gateway does. SSSpwn just allows arm11 code execution, meaning it can do everything a regular 3DS game can.

Reactions: Margen67 and Zidapi

flarn2006

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The exploit allows access to userland arm11 code through a game exploit. The mset exploit (the ds profile thingy) was used to achieve this in Gateway. At this point, Gateway and SSSpwn differ. Gateway uses a FIRM (firmware) exploit to access arm9 code execution privileges. This level of priviliges is required for spoofing the firmware and running an emulated 3DS menu like Gateway does. SSSpwn just allows arm11 code execution, meaning it can do everything a regular 3DS game can.

Exactly, it can do everything a regular 3DS game can. What confuses me about that is that "everything a regular 3DS game can" necessarily includes everything any given "regular 3DS game" does. In other words, anything a commercial 3DS game can do SSSpwn can do as well. Such as behaving exactly like a copy of (insert "regular 3DS game" here). (I'm more interested in modding than piracy, so obviously it wouldn't be exactly, but you get the point.) So isn't it only a matter of time until someone develops a tool that converts a (decrypted) 3DS ROM into a "homebrew" game? It's not like you'd need to have the source code and recompile it, as it's still the same processor and operating system. It's just that some of the data would need to be moved around, from my understanding.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Exactly, it can do everything a regular 3DS game can. What confuses me about that is that "everything a regular 3DS game can" necessarily includes everything any given "regular 3DS game" does. In other words, anything a commercial 3DS game can do SSSpwn can do as well. Such as behaving exactly like a copy of (insert "regular 3DS game" here). (I'm more interested in modding than piracy, so obviously it wouldn't be exactly, but you get the point.) So isn't it only a matter of time until someone develops a tool that converts a (decrypted) 3DS ROM into a "homebrew" game? It's not like you'd need to have the source code and recompile it, as it's still the same processor and operating system. It's just that some of the data would need to be moved around, from my understanding.

Maybe that's possible for some games, I don't know. But some games require more access privileges than others. There are many different things they can use, like cameras, microphone, infrared, internet access and ability to install and uninstall DLC.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
no arm9 = no higher level security access, all the system security is still in place so running 3ds roms wouldn't be possible as they wouldn't pass any of the security checks,

who knows someone may develop a kernel exploit or something, but i doubt this will be the only thread from pre-pubic whinja's (coining the phrase :P) wanting a rom loader from ssspwn

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States

Would you like to re-write a hugely complex Nintendo game into C++?

Kakkoii

Old fart
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

A 3DS game does not have the privileges to launch a 3DS game. The system, which does, launches the game and then gives said game access to the hardware it needs, but without any permissions that can actually affect the system negatively.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i believe the exact quote from smealum is that SSSPwn by itself does not enable piracy.

this does enable homebrew.
more people looking at coding for the 3ds = more chances of piracy (even if its still a small chance, its still a chance).

point is, STFU and wait and see what happens. the public doesn't really know what SSSPwn even does yet.

maybe all you have to do is add:

function main();
add.haxx->3ds system (security.disabled)
endif;

and BAM it works. don't steal my codes.

NCDyson

Hello Boys...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he means conversion of a .3ds game to a .3dsx file, kinda like the .3ds to .cia conversion.

I suppose the conversion could be possible, however, surely Smea has thought far enough ahead on the subject that it probably wouldn't work. I don't have cubic ninja, so I can't really mess with the exploit (well, I could, but I'd have to download the rom on a really shitty internet connection). Why doesn't everyone just wait for the exploit release and wait for someone to attempt to convert a .3ds rom to a .3dsx file? This topic comes up ALL the time.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he means conversion of a .3ds game to a .3dsx file, kinda like the .3ds to .cia conversion.

I suppose the conversion could be possible, however, surely Smea has thought far enough ahead on the subject that it probably wouldn't work. I don't have pubic ninja, so I can't really mess with the exploit (well, I could, but I'd have to download the rom on a really shitty internet connection). Why doesn't everyone just wait for the exploit release and wait for someone to attempt to convert a .3ds rom to a .3dsx file? This topic comes up ALL the time.

HA! That is wrong on so many levels. Not you NCDyson, but the idea of that...

3ds to cia is like taking a rom and changing it to the dlc version of the rom (amirite? i dont have gateway), like taking an apple and making apple slices.

.3ds to .3dsx is like developing the game from scratch using an entirely new library to develop said title. taking an apple and turning it into an orange.

Edit: scratch that and reverse it...not 3dsx to 3ds but 3ds to 3dsx.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu