Homebrew So why exactly wouldn't SSSpwn work with "backups"?

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i believe the exact quote from smealum is that SSSPwn by itself does not enable piracy.

this does enable homebrew.
more people looking at coding for the 3ds = more chances of piracy (even if its still a small chance, its still a chance).

point is, STFU and wait and see what happens. the public doesn't really know what SSSPwn even does yet.
This was my understanding as well. It was always said that smealum's released stuff will be catered only to homebrew, not that it cannot do anything else. He left it open-ended as to whether someone else could use it to figure out loading ROMs and other such things.

I'm looking forward to the release, where more people can examine it and see what comes of it.

ChrisRX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maybe that's possible for some games, I don't know. But some games require more access privileges than others. There are many different things they can use, like cameras, microphone, infrared, internet access and ability to install and uninstall DLC.

These aren't "privileges" like you get on an android app. This is security privileges right at the lowest level of the silicon in the CPU. When running the exploit, only userland privileges are available and nothing higher which is needed to launch backups ie. as the kernel/system menu does.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
These aren't "privileges" like you get on an android app. This is security privileges right at the lowest level of the silicon in the CPU. When running the exploit, only userland privileges are available and nothing higher which is needed to launch backups ie. as the kernel/system menu does.
yeah they're more like hardware access restrictions

NCDyson

Hello Boys...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HA! That is wrong on so many levels. Not you NCDyson, but the idea of that...

3ds to cia is like taking a rom and changing it to the dlc version of the rom (amirite? i dont have gateway), like taking an apple and making apple slices.

.3dsx to .3ds is like developing the game from scratch using an entirely new library to develop said title. taking an apple and turning it into an orange.
Well, .3ds to .cia conversion is just re-packaging the .3ds file so it can be installed as if it were a e-shop downloaded title, so yeah, basically.

I think it's more like Granny Smith Apples to Gala Apples.
we don't know what the exploit does exactly, and if it's got stuff in it to only allow ctrulib compiled homebrew, so for now all we can do is speculate.
I'd say it would probably be technically possible, however, that you'd have to mod the game to load the romFS from the SD card since I don't think there's room for a romFS in a .3dsx file

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In an effort to bring some non-regurgitated knowledge into this thread, I do want to point out one thing that smealum mentioned a loooong while back. This being a certain tweet that smealum made in regards to region unlocking a while back:

smealum any way to change a us 3ds to a uk one with anything your working on?
@mrviolentj not permanently, but playing games from other region should almost definitely be possible.

Now, this poses an interesting point. Yes, it's from July, but I do recall him having this exploit running way before that (and it was just about ready for release before the N3DS came out). To region unlock a 3DS, you would either have to A. Modify the firmware or B. Have the ability to launch titles, AKA a cartridge with no regard to region. And to do that, privilege escalation would be required. Likewise, it should be remembered that even a simple ARM11 title can actually install titles to the SD card (eshop, DevMenu for .cia's), so if this actually was a thing then installing extra titles is definitely possible, provided a form of game privilege escalation is found. So before you all start barfing up "It's ARM11 mode, therefore impossible", let's keep in mind that anything could happen. Heck, the exploit Gateway and other mods use actually uses ARM11 mode to gain access to ARM9 mode (aka a chain of 2 exploits), so if another exploit were found which allowed ARM9 access, then it's fully possible to go deeper into the firmware and allow piracy and whatnot.

NCDyson

Hello Boys...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the point is, this has been discussed so many times since he announced ssspwn/ninjhax that at this point, it's a dead horse until the exploit is released and people can actually look into how it works/what it does.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, he isn't.

Jesus, do you even read?

Don't provoke SSG Vegeta, just pat him on the head and give him a pudding cup.

SSG Vegeta:

bgritgr si ffats eritng ght llit tiaw t'nac boirgq syllud bnats t'nac I

"I can't stand bullys[SIC] period [SIC] can't wait till[SIC] the entire staff is retired"

That's not particularly clever or going to win you any friends here.

Sorry, buddy, but this community and the staff seems to do nothing but upset you. Do you like to rage? If not, maybe you should take some time off for a bit and come back when this is fun for you again. Really, all joking aside, you don't seem to be very happy w/ this board lately.

Fun fact: Kid Ice can read almost any variation of |33t 5p34, sdrawkcab nettirw sgniht, runic text from the Ultima series as fast as he can read proper English text... And he drives at 23 MPH in school zones while the lights are flashing, 'cause he's kind of a dick.

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't provoke SSG Vegeta, just pat him on the head and give him a pudding cup.

SSG Vegeta:

bgritgr si ffats eritng ght llit tiaw t'nac boirgq syllud bnats t'nac I

"I can't stand bullys[SIC] period [SIC] can't wait till[SIC] the entire staff is retired"

That's not particularly clever or going to win you any friends here.

Sorry, buddy, but this community and the staff seems to do nothing but upset you. Do you like to rage? If not, maybe you should take some time off for a bit and come back when this is fun for you again. Really, all joking aside, you don't seem to be very happy w/ this board lately.

Fun fact: Kid Ice can read almost any variation of |33t 5p34, sdrawkcab nettirw sgniht, runic text from the Ultima series as fast as he can read proper English text... And he drives at 23 MPH in school zones while the lights are flashing, 'cause he's kind of a dick.

You really went as far to put my own message out uses kaioken × 80 on you to seriously beat th crud out of you
do you even know my reason for that message its because an administrator invited some staff members to a PRIVATE conversation & practically bullied me cause I tried to unban my friend Parasite X who was recently banned cause someone provoked him & pissed him off when I tried to defend him those admins bullied me & invaded MY privacy I don't care wether or not if they have the ability or not an invasion of privacy is an invasion of privacy if you don't have permission then its considered invasion of privacy as for my anger with some people its mostly because of the fact that there just that 1 person that treats me like i'm stupid when i'm not in any way

Reactions: Mathew_Wi

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no desire to to inflame you further. I was just hoping a little humor and friendly advice might give you some perspective. GBAtemp is supposed to be enjoyable. ;-)

Kamehameha right back at you. :-)

gypsynimrod

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
You really went as far to put my own message out uses kaioken × 80 on you to seriously beat th crud out of you
do you even know my reason for that message its because an administrator invited some staff members to a PRIVATE conversation & practically bullied me cause I tried to unban my friend Parasite X who was recently banned cause someone provoked him & pissed him off when I tried to defend him those admins bullied me & invaded MY privacy I don't care wether or not if they have the ability or not an invasion of privacy is an invasion of privacy if you don't have permission then its considered invasion of privacy as for my anger with some people its mostly because of the fact that there just that 1 person that treats me like i'm stupid when i'm not in any way

To be fair, from a completely neutral point-of-view as I don't care for keyboard warriors either way, the only way people can "judge" you is based off what you type and what you decide to present yourself as. If you type with no punctuation and clunky sentences, naturally, people will think you're dim. If you type properly, concisely and get to your point in a swift manner, people will either think you're smarter or, at the very least, not dumb. However, when you state things that are blatantly wrong and don't acknowledge it, but instead get upset, you'll also be viewed as idiotic.

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Someone made an interesting point here, with using ARM11 to get ARM9 access. I guess we just wait for the region unlocker, and then, more will be revealed.

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no desire to to inflame you further. I was just hoping a little humor and friendly advice might give you some perspective. GBAtemp is supposed to be enjoyable. ;-)

Kamehameha right back at you. :-)

Looks like we have a beam clash uses Galick Gun to deflect your Kamehameha.Thank you for the advice & your right

daicon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SSSpwn runs inside of a 3DS game. Since 3DS games only have userland access, a 3DS game doesn't have the privs to run another 3DS game.

That's a pretty simple way to look at it I think.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol
    19 inches it was glorious lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, If it doesn't fit, you should've gotten one smaller lol
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If a racoon can fit up to 8-inches then so be it
    +1
    Lol it it fits I sit? Lol
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Will it blend lol
    +1
    Blended families!!!
    The Dahmer diet, two healthy shakes and meat for dinner!!!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Dahmer diet, two healthy shakes and meat for dinner!!!