Sonic 3D Blast to get unofficial patch from original programmer, 21 years later

Sonic fans, or those who grew up with the Sega Genesis might remember one game out of the copious amount of early Sonic spinoffs; Sonic 3D Blast, or, for those across the pond, Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island. The game released more than 20 years ago, back in 1996, for the Sega Saturn, PC, and Genesis. Now, the lead programmer from the game, and founder Traveller's Tales--the company behind Sonic 3D--Jon Burton, has announced that he will be creating an unofficial patch for the game, to add features that were never implemented in the old game. Burton plans to add things like a level editor, the ability to go Super Sonic, slight gameplay improvements, and more. There's no planned release frame for this "director's cut" of Sonic 3D, but regardless of what happens, this is quite a random and interesting reveal.

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
He is not chargin it or youre not stealing from him for christs sake. He is RELEASING that pach for public, and if you feel like it and have money you can put money on his bank account. Its not wrong thing eather
Well, before you said something completely different. "Why should I pay money if its free"

LuigiXHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or he can compress the graphics horizontally (Sonic only, in this screenshot):
View attachment 103139

or add black borders, and let the TV zoom in, cropping them out:
View attachment 103140

Black Borders is technically possible but the squishing isn't but even then what's the point? All you are doing is making the image or viewing area worse.

Reactions: Deleted User

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait for this! I really wish he would release a patch for the Saturn version though. That's my all time favorite, but I'll take a genesis version too :P. He's doing this for free and its freaking amazing <3.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Well, before you said something completely different. "Why should I pay money if its free"
What i MEANT is that if he is giving it for free it means he wants to give it for free, and since he is, you might as well take it for free, now if you are really want to give him money no one is stopping you, but that doesn't mean it "should" be payed...a lot of people cant really give money and this is great way to have something interesting for free...but as i said, no one is stopping you to put some $$$ onto his account...its your money, and thats werry noble to credit creators, but dont say its mandatory or spread idea..if someone wants to give money to something FREE that is ok, but it shouldn't be payed, since he doesnt want that (or at least thats how i understood)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I hope this turnsl out well
I never played 3D blast, so this is the time to do so :)

Last edited by Metoroid0,
P

pasc

Holy ... !

Wow..... CraZy determination. I love that. I wish more devs were like this.
(Or would at least open source their projects/games)

Last edited by ,
Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse