Sony reaffirms that they do NOT plan to create a Vita successor

consoles-psvita-model-2000-black-640px-en.png

With the Nintendo Switch taking the gaming market by storm, it seems like there's a perfect climate for Sony to step in and create a handheld to compete with Nintendo's hybrid, much like they've done in the past, with the PSP and PS Vita. However, Sony Interactive Entertainment's CEO, Andrew House, disagrees, and is quoted as saying the following during an interview with Bloomberg JP.

The Nintendo Switch is a hybrid device, thus it has a completely different strategy from the PlayStation. We are focusing our attention on products that can specifically be played from the living room. We do not see potential in the handheld market.

It seems PlayStation has been adamant about there not being a new PlayStation handheld, as House has been quoted as saying such multiple times. What do you think? Is the handheld market too saturated thanks to the rise of smartphones, or that after the DS and 3DS dominating the PSP and Vita, it's high time that Sony relent and focus on their flagship PS4? Or that Sony is missing out on a huge opportunity?

:arrow: Source

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I bought a vita just for that oled screen. I wanted to see what the technology looked like as before that time I never seen an oled.
It did have this weird black splotch problem on dark and black scenes. Sony really cheaped out on their vita oleds, Im guessing to save costs as it is a handheld. Its still much better than the new 3ds lcd ips panel.

All OLED Vitas suffer from it.
Mine as well.

Yeh, they did cheap out and reproducing those OLED panels or replacing them is incredibly costly or just not possible ;/

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
All OLED Vitas suffer from it.
Mine as well.

Yeh, they did cheap out and reproducing those OLED panels or replacing them is incredibly costly or just not possible ;/
It had to be the best part of vitas that was cheaped out on. Since the defining feature of oleds are black levels and high contrast ratios.
It was a bit of a disappointment since I was expecting this truly excellent picture they were advertising.

If you want to see a truly excellent picture then Oled Tv's, Plasma Pioneer Kuro's, and Crts are the way to go.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It had to be the best part of vitas that was cheaped out on. Since the defining feature of oleds are black levels and high contrast ratios.
It was a bit of a disappointment since I was expecting this truly excellent picture they were advertising.

If you want to see a truly excellent picture then Oled Tv's, Plasma Pioneer Kuro's, and Crts are the way to go.

AMOLED phones.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't like this "war" term that I see so many players throwing around

It has been going on for decades, seems google groups lost its nice usenet search but in the meantime here is an article from CNN in 1999 using the term
http://money.cnn.com/1999/09/09/technology/dreamcast/
2002 the economist http://www.economist.com/node/1189352
1999 print gaming magazine https://i.imgur.com/1KbxtuZ.jpg
Unsure what year but as the PS1 was kicking off http://photobucket.com/gallery/http...sprite/media/Magazine Scans/UFG4Pg58.jpg.html
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-J_npv8ApY...vk/s1600/GamePro_Issue061_August_1994-032.jpg
1994 there.

I guess this has little bearing on whether you like it or not or find it productive. I don't, I see similar things in all sorts of fields though and as marketing people have a fair bit of money to ply their trade and it has been seen to work for years I doubt it will be going away any time soon.

Reactions: gnmmarechal

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PSP was a fun system. However it was so damn uncomfortable to hold. Couldn't ever get a proper grip on the system, so extended playtime would kill my wrists.
What kind of crazy hands do you have? If the PSP was anything it was a comfortable system to hold in-hand.

The Vita is even better with it's dual joysticks. It has the same layout as dualshock controllers, imo the best and most culturally beloved controller out there. There's a reason why the dualshock design has barely changed since the 90s.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
What kind of crazy hands do you have? If the PSP was anything it was a comfortable system to hold in-hand.

The Vita is even better with it's dual joysticks. It has the same layout as dualshock controllers, imo the best and most culturally beloved controller out there. There's a reason why the dualshock design has barely changed since the 90s.
Eh, I wouldn't say the PSP was "comfortable". It wasn't the worst, but ever since I started using my Vita and DualShock 4 for games such as the Project Diva series, I never went back to the PSP just because of how uncomfortable it was. Not that its competitors were any better at the time, but imo it was definitely not "comfortable". If anything, it was the least uncomfortable one out of the available options.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

The dualshock design is not the most culturally beloved design. There's actually a nice split between the likes of Xbox/Switch and what Sony did.

The PSP was and will always be the worst handheld I've played on for ergonomics. The little nub was in such an awkward spot that my hand would cramp after an hour of Socom. It's the only system to this day that's ever been a huge issue.

The Vita didn't exactly improve on the awkward layout, that's for sure. I had to buy a grip due to how awkwardly small everything is. Even playing with just the dpad and four face buttons never was comfortable.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
The dualshock design is not the most culturally beloved design. There's actually a nice split between the likes of Xbox/Switch and what Sony did.

The PSP was and will always be the worst handheld I've played on for ergonomics. The little nub was in such an awkward spot that my hand would cramp after an hour of Socom. It's the only system to this day that's ever been a huge issue.

The Vita didn't exactly improve on the awkward layout, that's for sure. I had to buy a grip due to how awkwardly small everything is. Even playing with just the dpad and four face buttons never was comfortable.
Yeah, using the analog stick was a bit of a pain, forgot about that. I mostly played games that didn't use it, so that didn't bother me too much. It definitely wasn't comfortable even so, though.

MeowMeowMeow

S̈͊ͣ̎̍͋͟eͩ͊ͨ̂ͫ̐ͬ͟n̆ͨp͒ͪ̿̔aͤͬ̄ͩͨ͗̔iͧ̽ͤ
Trophies
D̀͌̀e̵ͧk̷u̾̂ͨ͗̾͊̚ ͥ̈ͤ̎̒̓T͊ͬ͜rͨ̌̔͂́e͂̌ͩͦ̃͜eͬͪ̄͝
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think smartphones / tablet and Nintendo take so much parts in handheld gaming that there not a lot of rooms left for Sony to start something new right now
Smartphone/phones game are pure shit. Most of them is pay to win and micro transactions

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It would've been retarded. They would've been limited by current technology and would've got a device which is basically as powerful as the Switch (at most), but without the Nintendo exclusives.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Smartphone/phones game are pure shit. Most of them is pay to win and micro transactions
Seen the ratio of shovelware to goodness on the DS (otherwise known as Nintendo's last unarguable success)? Equally you can have 20000 pieces of shovelware all you like if there is still a good library to be had out of it.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sounds like the problem is that your hands are too big.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Its crazy how the Vita pretty much defined at the time a console experience in your hands, yet Nintendo have ran with the idea and now making $$$$$$. We all know the Vita was hardware wise phenomenal, software wise + marketting wise very meh.

They should have released a Vita + PS3 bundle, I think that would have saved it. The issue I had with the Vita was the slack of L2/R2 and clickable analogues, maybe if they'd spent less money on the touch portion of the device and incorporated those two elements, along with cheaper memory cards, it would have held more longevity as at least a solid remote play device.

I'm playing Cold Steel 2 on it now and its really really nice. Some of my best gaming has been on the Vita. It makes me VERY excited for my eventual purchase of the Switch. Portable gaming is just so phenomenal and its sad that Sony missed this trick.

Overall I think its wise Sony just leaves Nintendo to dominate the handheld market now. Nintendo have so many phenomenal IPs from a portable standpoint and Sony sadly left all of theirs in the dirt. I hope MS or Sony do release a Switch competitor. Playing Dark souls 3 or Kingdom Hearts3 on the go is a dream I want fulfilled but I don't see anyone stepping up. I think the chase for 4k will end either parties' interest in fighting with the Switch.

FYI PSP ergonomics were awful. I HATED playing Kingdom Hearts on it. The nubs were just very very awful. But again, such a great fun console with a phenomenal lineup of titles.

Last edited by aofelix,

Pokepicker

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Is this bussiness lingo for "Might happen. Nintendo seems to be printing Switch consoles."?
Sorta like how iPods didn't need to play videos, iPhones would never grow passed 3,5" and styluses where a sign of failure?

Or kinda like how the DS was not a replacement for the GB line? And how the 3DS will continue on and on, longside the Switch?

I don't know. It doesn't make much of a difference to me. As I would have no inclination of purchasing a new "psp/vita".
But saying "no", doesn't always really mean no.

BetaXenon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Ah, Vita support outside of Asia has been quite bad, especially for Europe. To many people forced to create Asian accounts to just have ability to download dlc for JRPG and receive new patches for imported games (which is, considering how Vita don't have software/hardware region lock is quite strange policy), notwithstanding how they turned to force "whitelisting" on all internet providers or you can't even login to PSN.
And I prefer games with worse texture quality every day to game with insanely small texture loading distance and lags, but they keep marketing games as "they have same graphics as PS3 version" and when people complain they answering "whatever, probably it is bad market, people prefer playing mobile games instead of handheald consoles, it's not our fault, it's their why we don't see reason to make vita successor". Good grief.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: Good morning everyone