Sony reaffirms that they do NOT plan to create a Vita successor

consoles-psvita-model-2000-black-640px-en.png

With the Nintendo Switch taking the gaming market by storm, it seems like there's a perfect climate for Sony to step in and create a handheld to compete with Nintendo's hybrid, much like they've done in the past, with the PSP and PS Vita. However, Sony Interactive Entertainment's CEO, Andrew House, disagrees, and is quoted as saying the following during an interview with Bloomberg JP.

The Nintendo Switch is a hybrid device, thus it has a completely different strategy from the PlayStation. We are focusing our attention on products that can specifically be played from the living room. We do not see potential in the handheld market.

It seems PlayStation has been adamant about there not being a new PlayStation handheld, as House has been quoted as saying such multiple times. What do you think? Is the handheld market too saturated thanks to the rise of smartphones, or that after the DS and 3DS dominating the PSP and Vita, it's high time that Sony relent and focus on their flagship PS4? Or that Sony is missing out on a huge opportunity?

:arrow: Source

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. Except from BoTW every Wii U port on the Switch had extra content so far. Also Switch works like Vita + PSTV in a single device.
Extra content or not, it is still the same games with crippled features to run on a mobile device, be it switch or vita.

The only difference i see here is that one side is Sony and the other is Nintendo. We all know which one gets the free pass to screw up.

Reactions: Codemastershock

Nekomaru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Extra content or not, it is still the same games with crippled features to run on a mobile device, be it switch or vita.

The only difference i see here is that one side is Sony and the other is Nintendo. We all know which one gets the free pass to screw up.

Crippled features? Switch outpowers Wii U slightly. 720p was max on Wii U, at least for a something demanding like Bayonetta 2.

If you read my past posts, you'll see that I am highly critical of the Switch but I always emphasise that it found a niche for its own - whereas Vita failed to do so. At the time of release Vita was technologically ahead of the competitors but the functionality was not innovative enough and the market positioning failed. Switch is outdated on the inside but has great IPs and offers unique playing experience tailored to casual gaming on the go. Both Sony and Nintendo are evil empires - the first one launched a "pro 4K console" where they failed to put enough RAM for native 4K so the high resolutions have to be upscaled with image processing. The latter sells you a device not much more powerful than a Raspberry Pie with 21 roms and two pads for EUR100. :-)

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crippled features? Switch outpowers Wii U slightly. 720p was max on Wii U, at least for a something demanding like Bayonetta 2.

If you read my past posts, you'll see that I am highly critical of the Switch but I always emphasise that it found a niche for its own - whereas Vita failed to do so. At the time of release Vita was technologically ahead of the competitors but the functionality was not innovative enough and the market positioning failed. Switch is outdated on the inside but has great IPs and offers unique playing experience tailored to casual gaming on the go. Both Sony and Nintendo are evil empires - the first one launched a "pro 4K console" where they failed to put enough RAM for native 4K so the high resolutions have to be upscaled with image processing. The latter sells you a device not much more powerful than a Raspberry Pie with 21 roms and two pads for EUR100. :-)
Yes, crippled features when compared to the wii u, worse battery power, also lol@next gen NX that "outpowers Wii U slightly".

Industry is again giving it to Nintendo, along with fanboys.

P

pasc

I like Sony handhelds.
They fare much better with bigger titles then Nintendo does.
To bad most of the games are weeb waifu sims ;/

What big titles anyways ?

The only games that spring to mind for me are Square Enix or Rockstar Games related.

Most games on PSP seemed boring at best...

Maybe it's just me

fengjunzi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

With the Nintendo Switch taking the gaming market by storm, it seems like there's a perfect climate for Sony to step in and create a handheld to compete with Nintendo's hybrid, much like they've done in the past, with the PSP and PS Vita. However, Sony Interactive Entertainment's CEO, Andrew House, disagrees, and is quoted as saying the following during an interview with Bloomberg JP.

It seems PlayStation has been adamant about there not being a new PlayStation handheld, as House has been quoted as saying such multiple times. What do you think? Is the handheld market too saturated thanks to the rise of smartphones, or that after the DS and 3DS dominating the PSP and Vita, it's high time that Sony relent and focus on their flagship PS4? Or that Sony is missing out on a huge opportunity?

:arrow: Source
RIP

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yes, crippled features when compared to the wii u, worse battery power, also lol@next gen NX that "outpowers Wii U slightly".

Industry is again giving it to Nintendo, along with fanboys.

Nintendo is doing something right. If power is really your goal, then consoles aren't what you should look at. It's interesting how loose the term "fanboy" is becoming. More sad, but interesting.

Pachee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is doing it right by killing their main console earlier after miserable support (also lying about it) and rehashing it as a mobile device along with rehashing games? And the answers are "get a pc"?

Kinda sad to read this on the same thread where a page back the Vita was being burned on a stake for having ps3 rehashes and sony again reiterating they gave up on handhelds, unlike a certain other company who was pretending to support their home console until last minute.

And now we are back to step one.

Last edited by Pachee,

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most games on PSP seemed boring at best...
I guess you haven't played Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker then. :creep:
Naw just kidding... sort of. The PSP actually had some awesome games for it like Monster Hunters 1-2 with all of its HORRIBLE HIT BOX glory and Star Wars Battlefront 2.
But i will admit, the one thing that kept me going back to the PSP was the homebrew. Beautiful

Reactions: JohnSkyrim

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Naw just kidding... sort of. The PSP actually had some awesome games for it like Monster Hunters 1-2 with all of its HORRIBLE HIT BOX glory and Star Wars Battlefront 2.
But i will admit, the one thing that kept me going back to the PSP was the homebrew. Beautiful
PSP was BY FAR the best system for homebrews, it had everything! From simple stuff like enhanced browsers to streaming gameplay without any hit in performance whatsoever and even windows XP, emulators galore, was a joke to play ISOs/CSOs as there was no need to install them (just have them in memory card and that's all), supported PS1 and all it's great games (Digimon World trilogy for example) and so on! That was perfection! Then the Vita came and did nothing more for the most part and almost everything it did was because it included everything PSP had!:P Also, yeah, PSP had AWESOME games, GTA, Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts, Dissidia Duodecim FF12, Crisis Core 10th Anniversary Final Fantasy VII, Driver '76, 7th Dragon 2020 and 2020-II, Gran Turismo, Eragon (unlike the lame PC version you control the DRAGON in this), Harvest Moon/Innocent Life, Hatsune Miku Project Diva (1, 2 and Extend), all the good old Need For Speed games, Test Drive Unlimited (that also had real online with randoms), Silent Hill Origins (and Shattered Memories but who cares about that?), Summon Night 3-5, every Ys game except for the recent one and Ys Origins, Disgaea I and II, Prinny I and II (lol) and many, many, MANY more awesome games! On my hard drives alone, despite only keeping the games I thought of as good, I still have well over 1000 games! It had 13000 games and even though 7000 of those are Visual Novels (some of which are great), that's a LOT of games and let's not forget that the Indies and small games didn't suck at all (eg; Hoard)!

Yeah, when you put out a console in the market after making the perfect portable gaming device for that time and you hardly have any good games, it's doomed to fail miserably!

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSP was BY FAR the best system for homebrews, it had everything! From simple stuff like enhanced browsers to streaming gameplay without any hit in performance whatsoever and even windows XP, emulators galore, was a joke to play ISOs/CSOs as there was no need to install them (just have them in memory card and that's all), supported PS1 and all it's great games (Digimon World trilogy for example) and so on! That was perfection! Then the Vita came and did nothing more for the most part and almost everything it did was because it included everything PSP had!:P Also, yeah, PSP had AWESOME games, GTA, Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts, Dissidia Duodecim FF12, Crisis Core 10th Anniversary Final Fantasy VII, Driver '76, 7th Dragon 2020 and 2020-II, Gran Turismo, Eragon (unlike the lame PC version you control the DRAGON in this), Harvest Moon/Innocent Life, Hatsune Miku Project Diva (1, 2 and Extend), all the good old Need For Speed games, Test Drive Unlimited (that also had real online with randoms), Silent Hill Origins (and Shattered Memories but who cares about that?), Summon Night 3-5, every Ys game except for the recent one and Ys Origins, Disgaea I and II, Prinny I and II (lol) and many, many, MANY more awesome games! On my hard drives alone, despite only keeping the games I thought of as good, I still have well over 1000 games! It had 13000 games and even though 7000 of those are Visual Novels (some of which are great), that's a LOT of games and let's not forget that the Indies and small games didn't suck at all (eg; Hoard)!

Yeah, when you put out a console in the market after making the perfect portable gaming device for that time and you hardly have any good games, it's doomed to fail miserably!
:wtf: Wow... that's a lot you can name off the top of your head. Although correction, the PSP had 869 games released for it according to Wikipedia.:toot:
Although how the heck were you even able to play all those games that you listed? Playing all of them seems like it would take forever!
It's a shame the Vita didn't have any good games. As of today, I have purchased a total of 3 games (One of which is Shantae, which i can't play cuz 3.61+) and have been given 2, totaling 5 games. There just were not any games i wanted to play. But what the Vita does have is Adrenaline! My PSP has been through Vietnam and barely works anymore. Thanks to the Vita and PSTV, I can play my PSP games again. :hrth:

Reactions: ThoD

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
:wtf: Wow... that's a lot you can name off the top of your head. Although correction, the PSP had 869 games released for it according to Wikipedia.:toot:
Although how the heck were you even able to play all those games that you listed? Playing all of them seems like it would take forever!
It's a shame the Vita didn't have any good games. As of today, I have purchased a total of 3 games (One of which is Shantae, which i can't play cuz 3.61+) and have been given 2, totaling 5 games. There just were not any games i wanted to play. But what the Vita does have is Adrenaline! My PSP has been through Vietnam and barely works anymore. Thanks to the Vita and PSTV, I can play my PSP games again. :hrth:
I had the PSP from early 2011 all the way until 2016 (games were STILL coming out on it), so I had a LOT of time to play at least a bit of every single game on the system!:P As for the 896, that's not accurate, AT ALL! That may just be how many big studio releases were localized, since from the day it was released up until games stopped coming out (summer 2016), there were about 7-12 game releases for it PER WEEK (neoseeker had the list for every week on the PSP threads)! About 90% of it's library never left Japan and that's why people don't know about them. The usual site I used for the ISOs/CSOs alone, that is however missing a LOT of the games (they got DMCAed), has 12 pages of 150 games each and that's PSP games, not including PS1 and stuff! Anyway, my PSP have been through Nam too and even Hiroshima, so it's basically dead (can fix it easily but too lazy). Screen has downward black bars all over the display and analog is broken beyond repair (I'm using an app to nullify it's input in games so it's not that bad in games that don't use it). For PSVita games, only one I ever liked was Gravity Rush and that got old very fast! If only it allowed playing PS2 games with something like PSP's PS1 popsloader support it would have been great!

wafflestick

(insert title here)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the vita was a failure so they might not have much luck with a new handheld anyway not to mention the annoying proprietary storage trend they have had

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
the vita was a failure so they might not have much luck with a new handheld anyway not to mention the annoying proprietary storage trend they have had
Now that I think about it, what was up with that? A memory card that cost 60-100€ when a same capacity one was at 15? Seriously, how did they think that was a good idea?

Reactions: Blue_Rouge

wafflestick

(insert title here)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that I think about it, what was up with that? A memory card that cost 60-100€ when a same capacity one was at 15? Seriously, how did they think that was a good idea?

Just a stupid way to make more money That's why I love my 3DS cause I can store all my uh legally dumped games in a cheap SD Card

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Just a stupid way to make more money That's why I love my 3DS cause I can store all my uh legally dumped games in a cheap SD Card
Nintendo has done similar bs things too though with the 3DS, like selling the system without a charger so you would have to buy one separately:P Not as bad as Sony, but still annoying practices.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Elite Squadron though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol