Hacking Super Meat Boy PC Soundtrack Mod (for Wii U w/ SDCafiine)

Which soundtrack do you like better?

• The new one by Ridiculon, Scattle, and Laura Shigihara

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread is defunct.

This means I am no longer maintaining it or updating. Sorry if you wanted this mod but my link was removed due to GBAtemp's rules and I have to rework the whole thread to be a script to generate the mod instead, which is just more trouble than it's worth I think.

If you have the switch version of Meat Boy, check that out instead!

Now, back to the original post.

So, I love Super Meat Boy, it's a great video game and I'm glad it's getting ported to everything.
However, they changed the soundtrack from the original one by Danny Baranowsky for some reason, and truthfully, I just have utter distaste for the new soundtrack.

I'm also against the idea by principle- I was OK with it when they changed the music from The Binding of Isaac when they made Rebirth because it was a remake of the original with much much improved content and features. It's a different game.

This is just a port of Super Meat Boy. Not a remake, or sequel. This is like if Nintendo released a port of Super Mario Bros. but changed the main theme to something "almost" the same, but not quite, and did that for every other track too.

Thus, I've went ahead and made a mod for the Wii U version of the game to restore the original soundtrack present in the original Xbox 360 and PC versions of the game. The audio files were sourced from the PC version of the game using smb_unpack by tayron. The extracted wav audio files were then reencoded to OGG format and renamed back to the wav file extension. Because that's how the Wii U version of the software does it's music. As the Wii U version has a couple of exclusive tracks, such tracks were replaced with a duplicate of the tracks that would've played in the original game. I also did my best to make sure various changed jingles and sound effects have been properly restored as well, let me know if I've missed anything or if you experience any crashes.

The mod has been tested and appears to work with SDCafiine v1.4 (Stable) with the USA version of Super Meat Boy, but should work on other region copies as well.

To install, simply open the sdcafiine folder on your Wii U SD card and create a folder of one of the following Title IDs depending on your region.
USA: 00050000101F3F00
EUR: 00050000101F4000
JPN: ??? (please tell me it if you know and I'll edit it in the post)

After that, drop the "PC_Soundtrack_Mod" folder from the download inside that TitleID folder and you should be all set.
Just run SDCafiine however you normally would and boot the game on your Wii U menu, and all should be working.

Last edited by CheatFreak47, , Reason: defunct

sieroi

Trophies
XP
Country
Fantastic mod. Surprised it hasn't been noticed by more people- it makes the game so much more enjoyable.

Just for anyone trying it down the line- the mod works fine, but if you're having lag issues when loading new tracks with SDcafiine, you can get around them (and make the experience significantly more convenient) by using ftpiiu everywhere to copy the files directly to the game's own content directory and overwrite its own versions.

Once installed that way, all audio lag issues disappear. I haven't noticed any bugs yet (EUR version)- hopefully, that's all that'll need doing.

Spooky777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I love Super Meat Boy, it's a great video game and I'm glad it's getting ported to everything.
However, they changed the soundtrack from the original one by Danny Baranowsky for some reason, and truthfully, I just have utter distaste for the new soundtrack.

I'm also against the idea by principle- I was OK with it when they changed the music from The Binding of Isaac when they made Rebirth because it was a remake of the original with much much improved content and features. It's a different game.

This is just a port of Super Meat Boy. Not a remake, or sequel. This is like if Nintendo released a port of Super Mario Bros. but changed the main theme to something "almost" the same, but not quite, and did that for every other track too.

Thus, I've went ahead and made a mod for the Wii U version of the game to restore the original soundtrack present in the original Xbox 360 and PC versions of the game. The audio files were sourced from the PC version of the game using smb_unpack by tayron. The extracted wav audio files were then reencoded to OGG format and renamed back to the wav file extension. Because that's how the Wii U version of the software does it's music. As the Wii U version has a couple of exclusive tracks, such tracks were replaced with a duplicate of the tracks that would've played in the original game. I also did my best to make sure various changed jingles and sound effects have been properly restored as well, let me know if I've missed anything or if you experience any crashes.

The mod has been tested and appears to work with SDCafiine v1.4 (Stable) with the USA version of Super Meat Boy, but should work on other region copies as well.

To install, simply open the sdcafiine folder on your Wii U SD card and create a folder of one of the following Title IDs depending on your region.
USA: 00050000101F3F00
EUR: 00050000101F4000
JPN: ??? (please tell me it if you know and I'll edit it in the post)

After that, drop the "PC_Soundtrack_Mod" folder from the download inside that TitleID folder and you should be all set.
Just run SDCafiine however you normally would and boot the game on your Wii U menu, and all should be working.

Download

Hope you all enjoy this mod as much as I do.
Does this work with a loadiine game player (the ones where you install the game pc and play on your wii u) installed version of SMB?

krueger96

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The link has been removed, does anyone still have this mod? I have the game on steam but don't know how to convert the pc audio files for the wii u version

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The link has been removed, does anyone still have this mod? I have the game on steam but don't know how to convert the pc audio files for the wii u version
I do, but I'm not going to be sharing the original link since it's apparently against to rules.
:glare: seems like a bit of a stretch to me but, hey, I don't make the rules

Instead, what I'll do later is post a script that can convert the PC version files to an SDcaffiine mod and post that instead. This way only people that own Super Meat Boy can get the mod legally.

So, uh, I guess look out for that sometime this weekend.

Last edited by CheatFreak47,

dtlux1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do, but I'm not going to be sharing the original link since it's apparently against to rules.

Instead, what I'll do later is post a script that can convert the PC version files to an SDcaffiine mod and post that instead. This way only people that own Super Meat Boy can get the mod legally.

Would that be because technically you're getting the OST for free even though you can already do that across all of YouTube? Yeah, sounds like a stretch, but oh well.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

In any case, I'll look forward to you're program if you decide to release it here.

krueger96

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Thanks!

marchrius

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Huge shoutout to @CheatFreak47 for this mod. I found it on your website (I believe, it's called banana something), downloaded and replaced the files through ftpiiu. Works like a charm. Thank you, it's a really great game and I can't stand that new soundtrack. It's not bad per se, just generic and unfitting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGAHfC5P-Y