Hardware Switch fans run full speed?

JPnintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I live in a place where the temperature is about 32-36 •C (~ 89 •F) The fan of the console never goes full speed in portable mode. (But games like Yooka Laylee or Rocket League bump the fan to a “midle” state max.
In docked mode it gets full speed with Rocket League - Yooka Laylee and Mario O.

Last edited by JPnintendo,

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
I usually only hear my fans if I grab it out of the dock when a game is running, then it chills itself. Judging from the video, your issue is definitely fucky and I'd send it in ASAP just to be done with it.
Of course, like with any tech, when you send it for repair, they're gonna break something else, so you'll have to send it in again, and then get a new one.

Reactions: SomeGamer

Lumince

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I usually only hear my fans if I grab it out of the dock when a game is running, then it chills itself. Judging from the video, your issue is definitely fucky and I'd send it in ASAP just to be done with it.
Of course, like with any tech, when you send it for repair, they're gonna break something else, so you'll have to send it in again, and then get a new one.
I called Nintendo back and set up a repair request. It just sucks that I cant just have them send me a replacement and then I can just send mine back.... that way I could just transfer my stuff over.... all well

Reactions: Shadowfied

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
I called Nintendo back and set up a repair request. It just sucks that I cant just have them send me a replacement and then I can just send mine back.... that way I could just transfer my stuff over.... all well
Yeah. RMAs, replacements and repairs and shit is always a huge shit process that no one wants to go through.
My left joycon has that fucking connection bullshit but I cba sending it in as that would leave me without controllers..

Lumince

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I usually put the switch in sleep mode undocked, wait for the fan to stop, then turn it back on.
Well I sent it to Nintendo and it says that they "fixed it". They said that it isn't a normal thing. Mine would do it in sleep mode as well and it would continue.

It was supposed to be here yesterday but the weather was just awful. So Monday it is. I really want to see if they fixed it or if they just gave me a new console...

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I sent it to Nintendo and it says that they "fixed it". They said that it isn't a normal thing. Mine would do it in sleep mode as well and it would continue.

It was supposed to be here yesterday but the weather was just awful. So Monday it is. I really want to see if they fixed it or if they just gave me a new console...
Hopefully the latter. Hardware repairs always end up fucking something else up.

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

Lumince

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update!!!!
So I got "my" switch back! They had to replace the console because they couldn't figure out the issue. They transferred all of my games, accounts, and saves without any issues. To my surprise though, my sd card from my old switch works in my new switch. All of my games and DLC work just fine as if it's not a different console. I'm just glad that I got it back and that I finally have a functioning console!

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Update!!!!
So I got "my" switch back! They had to replace the console because they couldn't figure out the issue. They transferred all of my games, accounts, and saves without any issues. To my surprise though, my sd card from my old switch works in my new switch. All of my games and DLC work just fine as if it's not a different console. I'm just glad that I got it back and that I finally have a functioning console!
Awesome! Great that they didn't even try to repair it, cause they WOULD fuck something else up if they did.

Reactions: Lumince

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Mine does the same thing. Then it gets pretty hot while gaming.

I thought it was just something they added to clear the dust out before using it, and perhaps to test if the intake holes are obstructed (if the temperature doesn't drop while its spinning).

I would send it into warranty, but then they will either give it back on 4.x or replace it with a 3.0.2+ one.

PS: I'm sure it's probably just a 2.x software issue and that they want it back just so they can update it. Savages.

Last edited by DSpider,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Never heard my fan going so loud.
Actually, it is hard to hear it at all, but sure it is running (probably in a very low setting), it moves air around, you can feel it.

Lumince

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine does the same thing. Then it gets pretty hot while gaming.

I thought it was just something they added to clear the dust out before using it, and perhaps to test if the intake holes are obstructed (if the temperature doesn't drop while its spinning).

I would send it into warranty, but then they will either give it back on 4.x or replace it with a 3.0.2+ one.

PS: I'm sure it's probably just a 2.x software issue and that they want it back just so they can update it. Savages.
Oh its not a 2.x software issue. Mine is and was on 4.1.0 when it started happening. The letter they sent me said it was a hardware failure and that they needed to replace my console. They will update it though. The new one I got came on 4.1.0. Tbh Id rather have a functioning console that can play games rather than a console that the fan stops working 2+ years down the road from excessive use.... Its not normal :/ Did you get your switch around August-ish? or a little before/after? Because that seems to be the issued consoles lol

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Never heard my fan going so loud.
Actually, it is hard to hear it at all, but sure it is running (probably in a very low setting), it moves air around, you can feel it.
And this would happen every reboot and would continue in sleep mode xD It was awful.... The console was freezing cold because my room was cold. No need to be cooling at that rate.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Nice it works for you but I could take a wild guess and the paste and heatsink is probably the issues.

Lumince

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice it works for you but I could take a wild guess and the paste and heatsink is probably the issues.
Why'd they need to replace then entire console then?? You'd think they would just replace that unless they are very very lazy.... Which I hope they aren't and that isn't the case.....

D

Deleted User

This is affected by older hardware revisions of the switch. Newer ones resolve the issue. One way to help it is to constantly put it in sleep and turn it back on again. Its normal.

Lumince

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is affected by older hardware revisions of the switch. Newer ones resolve the issue. One way to help it is to constantly put it in sleep and turn it back on again. Its normal.
This is an old post xD They ended up replacing the console entirely at that time and I haven't had any issues with this since.

EzratheRift

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does your new one still do this? My room also gets very cold and does this, the exact same as yours did. I got mine off amazon so I'm not sure if I could send it for repairs lol. Did you ever find out what happened?

EzratheRift

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does your new one still do this? My room also gets very cold and does this, the exact same as yours did. I got mine off amazon so I'm not sure if I could send it for repairs lol. Did you ever find out what happened?

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

they will ask for the serial number. did u buy new or used? if new 1yrs warrenty

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol