Hacking Tales of Destiny 2 English Patch - PSP JP Text Rip Required!

jenachu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hey there, everyone. I'll cut right to the chase.

A team of a few others and I are working on an English translation/localization patch for Tales of Destiny 2 (not Eternia), PSP version. We have a full team of translators and editors ready to work, however we need help with the programming/hacking portion of this. To start out, we at least need a rip of the game's Japanese text so that we can begin translating through it. The story/skits are top priority, but we'd ideally like all of the text so we can do a full patch of the game. We've done a bit of the story without the text, but it takes far too long doing it that way and isn't plausible. Therefore! We're hoping to find someone who can, at the very least, rip the text for us, though if they'd like to go all the way and work with us on the actual patching portion, we're all for it.

And for a little about us in case you're concerned with working with some random people: If you're familiar with the Nier: Automata fandom, I'm the person who translated the full 200 page concert script (which was then acted out by some of the official English VAs) as well as some of the side stories, another of us has practice in some unreleased translations, another is a writer who'd be helping with editing and character voices, and we have one more editor with professional experience in the field. Also, we're all longtime Tales fans, love both of the Destiny games, and so we know what we're doing with the series! We'd just love to see Destiny 2 get a proper translation and patch.

We're really hoping to get this off the ground, so if anyone's able to help us out, please let us know!

jenachu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yeah, we've seen that! I tried contacting the person who wrote it a couple weeks ago, but haven't gotten a reply. And the people in my team aren't savvy enough to do any of that stuff ourselves. I'm sure if someone can help, that post will be a big help to them! I hope someone can.

DeadlyAnGeL91792

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skybladecloud is pretty active...pretty sure he has his own blog too. Please make this happen guys. The usual big tales of translators are either busy on another game or not making any progress at all and discouraging others from translating the game because they think someone is already doing it.

jenachu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yeah, I saw he was active! I took him not responding to us as a sign maybe he wasn't interested in the project anymore, but maybe we'll try contacting him through other means later. For right now, we're managing to receive the Japanese story/skit text from someone who's transcribed all of it and we've started on translating it! We don't have all the extra NPC etc text but it's certainly a good start. We are definitely serious about getting this done!

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Oh man, a dream would come true if I can finally play Destiny 2 in english. I‘m useless so I can‘t help, but maybe it will help a tiny little bit to copy&paste this thread in the absolute zero forums. This group has released a couple of excellent Tales translations and currently has Tales of Destiny Director‘s Cut in the works, so maybe their hacker kingcom can help you out.

SkyBladeCloud

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, we've seen that! I tried contacting the person who wrote it a couple weeks ago, but haven't gotten a reply. And the people in my team aren't savvy enough to do any of that stuff ourselves. I'm sure if someone can help, that post will be a big help to them! I hope someone can.

Huh, I think I missed your message, sorry, even now I can't find it anywhere (:wtf:?)...

jenachu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Huh, I think I missed your message, sorry, even now I can't find it anywhere (:wtf:?)...

Ahh, really? I guess I messaged you in a sort of weird way. I wasn't sure how to make a comment to your profile or anything so I replied to one of your profile comments. It was probably easily missed, my bad, hahah. But since you're here, any chance you'd still be interested in this project?

Awesome. Any chance of doing the ps2 version as well?

That'd probably be up to whoever does the programming for us, since that'd probably be a lot of extra work for them (and I'm not sure of the version differences right now). Right now we're just shooting for the PSP version.

SkyBladeCloud

Trophies
XP
Country
Ahh, really? I guess I messaged you in a sort of weird way. I wasn't sure how to make a comment to your profile or anything so I replied to one of your profile comments. It was probably easily missed, my bad, hahah. But since you're here, any chance you'd still be interested in this project?

Even though I'm still interested, I just can't, I no longer have the time, the game, a PSP or even a computer I can comfortably use for romhacking. I can give you any advice you need, though :).

That'd probably be up to whoever does the programming for us, since that'd probably be a lot of extra work for them (and I'm not sure of the version differences right now). Right now we're just shooting for the PSP version.

That would be quite a shame, both versions are virtually the same, code-wise. The PSP uses one single, different compression algorithm (ZLib), instead of the two used on PS2 (LZSS and LZSS + RLE)... And that's about it. Any (well made) tool designed for the PSP version should work for the PS2 one as well...

jenachu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Even though I'm still interested, I just can't, I no longer have the time, the game, a PSP or even a computer I can comfortably use for romhacking. I can give you any advice you need, though :).

That would be quite a shame, both versions are virtually the same, code-wise. The PSP uses one single, different compression algorithm (ZLib), instead of the two used on PS2 (LZSS and LZSS + RLE)... And that's about it. Any (well made) tool designed for the PSP version should work for the PS2 one as well...

That's fine, I understand! And thanks so much for the offer of advice. I can tell from your post about it a while back that you'll be super helpful for any programmers to talk to, and if there's anything we as translators need to know, I'm all ears!

And if it's really that easy to make a patch for both versions, I have no problems with doing both! I just wasn't sure of how the programming end of that worked, haha.

SkyBladeCloud

Trophies
XP
Country
And if it's really that easy to make a patch for both versions

:unsure:... Well... This project is quite the challenge in both hacking and translation. What I meant is that the extra amount of work put into supporting a second version is negligible compared to the rest of the project, which is already a lot ^^"...

Last edited by SkyBladeCloud,

ExData7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please make this happen I've been waiting for this for a long time..and the Tales of Rebirth PSP translations as well... I'll be looking forward to your teams success

jenachu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
:unsure:... Well... This project is quite the challenge in both hacking and translation. What I meant is that the extra amount of work put into supporting a second version is negligible compared to the rest of the project, which is already a lot ^^"...

Ah yeah, I know the project is challenging from both sides! I just meant that I wasn't aware it'd be less work than I thought to do the PS2 version along with the PSP.

Z

zeropain

It would be so awesome if you finish this project (and you are even translating the PSP version).

I wish you luck and endurance, thats all i can do, sadly.

jenachu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Thank you guys! We're working with what we have right now (someone providing a script that they've transcribed themselves that includes skits and story text) until we can find someone to do the hacking and text ripping, but we're doing our best!

Ignis00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Took a jab at it past July, I know, that's quite a *while*, but I gave up since the font looks horrible, and by that I mean... really. Needs ASM hacks regarding; lowercase font implementation, some in-battle tutorial string limit, expand some menu boxes to fit text, romaji-Arte names being set to Full-Width in which case you need to set them to Variable-Width, and probably more.

The text scripts are really tricky and evil, for there's no text "size/length" defined on the file, but each line is delimited by "0x00" and some lines contain opcodes that contain that delimiter; like Kyle's name for example is 0x0701000000, followed by more text thereafter, can be resolved but can annoying and quite confusing.

Adding to this is the custom encoding map that typically follows the SJIS map; and took me about 3 days to figure out due to how primitive I work and understand things, yeah I'm to blame. And here's a POC of the intro, as seen on the video Kyle's name is an opcode and is fully implemented, I had already reached translating till the Town NPCs before I dropped it.

I hope the project succeeds and best of luck and skill to all of you to push through to the end.

And here's an off-screen shot at the menu, it looks "ok" in the photo but if you're looking at it face to face then you'll know how horrible it is:

~Ouisu!

Last edited by Ignis00,
Reactions: WiiUBricker

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning