Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GundamXXX said:
Hey

At the moment Im deciding wether or not to get a tattoo, the one im getting is gonna be very expansive so itll be a while before I actually get it

its gunna be a combination of these pics

salvador_dali_gallery_the_rose.jpg

Dark%20Tower_1_wallpaper_1370.jpg

the tower im going to redesign and its going to be coming out of the rose sorta speak

Who else has a tattoo and loves it or regretts it? And anyone know a good tattoo artist in Belgium/Holland?
Generally, if you have to ask then you shouldn't get one. That being said, how long has this series (it is that Stephen King series, right?) interested you? If this is something you just started reading recently then definitely hold off. If you read these a long time ago and still consider them to be that excellent then go for it.

Basically, if you are doing this because you think it will be "cool" then carefully consider if you will think it is cool for the rest of your life.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Blood Fetish said:
GundamXXX said:
Hey

At the moment Im deciding wether or not to get a tattoo, the one im getting is gonna be very expansive so itll be a while before I actually get it

its gunna be a combination of these pics

salvador_dali_gallery_the_rose.jpg

Dark%20Tower_1_wallpaper_1370.jpg

the tower im going to redesign and its going to be coming out of the rose sorta speak

Who else has a tattoo and loves it or regretts it? And anyone know a good tattoo artist in Belgium/Holland?
Generally, if you have to ask then you shouldn't get one. That being said, how long has this series (it is that Stephen King series, right?) interested you? If this is something you just started reading recently then definitely hold off. If you read these a long time ago and still consider them to be that excellent then go for it.

Basically, if you are doing this because you think it will be "cool" then carefully consider if you will think it is cool for the rest of your life.

Started reading the series about 13 years ago and Ive reread it several times now and love it ;p

And I wasnt really asking wether I should do it but just personal experiences so I know what to keep an eye on when I get my tattoo set because Ive seen some dodgy tattoo's and I dont want that

Anne Noise

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Some tips, from someone with tats and a history with the bodmod community:

- Find an artist who's style you like, and have them draft a tattoo. Then shop that tattoo to tattoo parlors in your area. Don't go in blind, have a plan, and have HQ copies of what you want. You should find an artist who works with the visual style you want; you wouldn't go to a traditional Japanese artist to do something in a 50's American style.
- Make sure to give the artist time to draw your tattoo, don't just go in and get it done all in one day.
- Don't settle! A good tattoo artist will understand if you dislike parts of the design - that shit is permanent! Be sure to find someone who will work with your design, which includes not taking it personally / poorly if you change something.
- Don't take one tattoo artist's work to another. Having a non-tattoo artist's work is usually fine, but having one tattoo artist design your work, then taking it elsewhere is considered very, very rude.
- Tip your artist! If it's a big, multiple-day piece, try to subtly find out what they enjoy - food, hobbies, etc. - and bring in something relevant. It'll be a good, friendly, way to give thanks. Money works too, but be creative.

I'm in the process of shopping a gaming tattoo, and I can't find anyone in my area with knowledge of games who has experience with "pixel-y" tats. No MMX one-up tattoo for me, yet. /sad.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love that second image. It's one of Michael Whelan's best.

This one will probably also interest you. (if you've not already seen it)

Capturing the quality of his artwork on a canvas of skin is going to be quite difficult. I know of only one artist who might be capable of it, but he's in the states.
If you're actually able to have it done, the work will be VERY expensive.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am thinking about getting an aniversary tat for an even number wedding aniversary of my choosing for a future wife. Not only will this show the commitment I made, but also the pain if I lose it. The tatoo itself is going to be a wedding band, and as the years go on, I'll add to it. I haven't really thought about any other case where I'd even consider getting a tatoo.

Anne Noise

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Vulpes Abnocto said:
I love that second image. It's one of Michael Whelan's best.

This one will probably also interest you. (if you've not already seen it)

Didn't recognize the name and didn't look under the cut, but yes, is awesome. His style works so well with the macabre, and his interpretation of King's Dark Tower series is awesome. I wish he was prolific enough to do the art for the comics, but his works seems way, way more time consuming than a series would normally go for.

QUOTE(Sterl500 @ Nov 13 2010, 08:59 AM) I am thinking about getting an aniversary tat for an even number wedding aniversary of my choosing for a future wife. Not only will this show the commitment I made, but also the pain if I lose it. The tatoo itself is going to be a wedding band, and as the years go on, I'll add to it. I haven't really thought about any other case where I'd even consider getting a tatoo.

Not to sound like a hater - just playing devil's advocate - but what if you get a divorce? From all my life experience, if a friend asked - which one has - I would advise against getting a tattoo that's tied to anyone else, save for family members. Coverups are a pain in the ass, and covering up a wedding band would be harder - you have to cover the ink AND convince yourself it's for you now, not for him/her.

On the flipside, my parents were married til death, and I know tons of other amazing couples who could pull it off. I play devil's advocate because I've never had someone I would get a tattoo for. (Other than gaming, my lover, haha.)

Anne Noise

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The tattoo thread inspired me.

My earlobes are 3/4" with black silicon Kaos tunnels.

And my septum is done at 10g with a staple, for flipping up.

I've also had, in the past, a rook, a tragus, a nipple and a prince albert. Exciting!

Followup question: anyone into more hardcore bodmod? Scarrification, suspension, anything? Just curious.

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Nothing against it but I have no piercings and probably won't be getting any. If I got any they'd be ears only and nothing else. I personally think girls can get away with them more than guys.

Stephapanda

Clover's Wife
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only piercings I have are normal ear piercings (one in each ear) and a monroe.

I want to get my tongue pierced sometime soon, though. :]

Anne Noise

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Stephapanda said:
The only piercings I have are normal ear piercings (one in each ear) and a monroe.

I want to get my tongue pierced sometime soon, though. :]

Monroe's are hot. If it wasn't for work, I would get a monroe or a vertical labret.

Tongue piercings are more intense, for less time, haha. The oral cavity is great at healing, but it's so in the way - and swollen! - that you can mess it up during healing, but they heal quick and stay healed fairly easily, with the right jewelry.

(I hate the word "jewelry." My ear tunnels don't feel like "jewelry" to me, haha.)

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just two double ears with fairly weak gauge semi-permanent stainless rings closed with moonstones on the main and clear beads on the secondary. i have a couple tats also but didn't know/care that there was a thread about it before, unless i did actually post and forget completely because it was months ago.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, this tattoo thread.

I've had two tattoos, one for about 6 1/2 years and the other for about 5 1/2.
The older one is something I'm so proud of and was so extremely happy with that I tipped the artist like a 20 and all of my tips from a week of waitressing lunch hours (which was less than $20 in ones but it was a small cafe and i split tips, i wasnt the most horrible waitress..)
It is a custom, shaded, black and white memorial tat that I got in honor of my best friend who died almost a year before I got the tattoo. I had been planning for about 4 years to get a tattoo but the nature of what I got my first time changed for a couple reasons. One was, I lost contact with the gentleman I was planning to go to, who worked at an out-of-town shop that shut down and that was my only way of getting ahold of him. That was pretty disappointing because he knew a lot of the ideas I had. The other thing was the tragedy of losing my best friend. It changed the entire reason for wanting to get art done and all of my prior ideas went into the crapper even though they would've been beautiful; what I have now, is even more beautiful even though it's a B&W.

About a year later I went to the same local artist and got a piece of crap done on my left arm above the bicep because I was going crazy, and the tattoo was actually something that I got to force me to remember some things about myself no matter how I felt about having a tattoo that's otherwise difficult to explain the meaning of (and in a far more visible place than my first tat).

As far as worrying about the permanence or regret, worry more about investing as much as you can in getting the best possible ink and the best possible work done for what you know you want, if it's your first and perhaps only tat (and you're getting it in a place that can be covered easily with clothing then don't sweat all the advice you get from people without art themselves).
If you plan to get it in a place that will be exposed, that's when you should consider the concerns of people without any art though-- especially employers. But the other thing is, if you really intend to get a full color piece in an exposed place, always use sunblock on it even in winter time, even if it's partly cloudy, especially for the first couple years of having it. But you should make absolute sure they're going to use the best ink in a color tattoo if you expect it to have some permanence and uniformity.
Since I have no plans to get any more tattoos or even finish the one on my arm (I never got it shaded, but it still looks pretty cool) I haven't done any research in recent years on inks or tats, but the shop I got mine done through was run by a man I was told was also an inventor and researcher of inks specifically. Since he has more than one shop in Tucson I was pretty sure it wasn't just a line because the results I was shown then and what I have in my skin now proves what I was told -- that he'd developed a more organic formula for true black ink, that's less likely to degrade in the skin itself, at least in the first 5-7 years. Ink quality is so crucial in highly detailed work, I would say as crucial as the talent behind the needle.
tattoo2.jpg

before shading

tattoo3.jpg

after shading
I don't have any decent resolution images of my shoulder tat but I will take one later during daylight.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
We already have tattoo and Piercing designated thread..it's a bit neglected, but I'll merge threads because we really don't need more then one thread for these stuff
tongue.gif

EDIT: Merged three threads.

matt1freek

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wasnt sure whether or not to get involved.. F it..

Neck

right leg

right forearm

upper back

left arm

left leg

left wrist

eyebrow and lip piercing...

concepts for a full leg piece...

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sterl500 said:
I am thinking about getting an aniversary tat for an even number wedding aniversary of my choosing for a future wife. Not only will this show the commitment I made, but also the pain if I lose it. The tatoo itself is going to be a wedding band, and as the years go on, I'll add to it. I haven't really thought about any other case where I'd even consider getting a tatoo.

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Every single person I've known with a wedding tattoo, or a person's name on their body to show their "commitment" has split up with that person.
It's a curse, I tell ya.

Let's test the theory:
matt11freek: Who is Michelle?

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know about that curse. The commitment part wouldn't be the only reason to do it though. If anything, the tat would remind me of my mistakes in that former marriage. It would drive me to better myself for the next person I fall in love with. Ya' dig me?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, JonTron's back yet again until he disappears into the void for another 6 or...