Team-Xecuter announces future-proof Switch exploit

Team-Xecuter revealed in a teaser a method to bypass all Switch security in a manner that they claim will never be patched by Nintendo and is compatible with every firmware available!

In the video, they show a custom boot image and have publicly posted the Stage2 Bootloader key (package 1.1) which has been confirmed to be legit as proof of their pwnage over the device.

This solution will work on ANY Nintendo Switch console regardless of the currently installed firmware, and will be completely future proof. This is *the* solution for opening up CFW (Custom FirmWare) on the Nintendo Switch. We want to move the community forward and provide a persistent, stable and fast method of running your own code and custom firmware patches on Nintendo's latest flagship product. And we think we've succeeded!

Below you can find a quick video showcasing a Nintendo Switch booting up, but there s something funny going on, can you spot it?

This is expected to be a DRM/paid "device", speculated to be a tx1 glitch style modchip that will enable CFW and full access to the system, which unfortunately(?) includes piracy.

A T-X forum admin expects release around Spring of 2018

:arrow:Source

rickwj324

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't purchased a Switch yet and will wait a while to see where the CFW scene goes. I honestly have held off buying one simply because of the lack of games. Mario Odyssey is the only game that makes me want to buy one at this time.

Reactions: loler55 and weatMod

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The study was linked a page or so back, I quoted the post below:
That study talks about movies, games, and music as a whole. Music and movies arent affected as much because most people subscribe to streaming services. Also with movies, people pay for the cinema experience. With games, the majority of the numbers I'd imagine would be made up of Xbox and Playstation gamers, where hacking their consoles would be far more difficult, especially when you consider the fact that people also want to game online.
The ones who get hit the most by piracy are basically Nintendo devices and handheld devices because they seem to get cracked sooner, and also because online isnt usually a major selling point on those platforms (making it a sacrifice the pirates are willing to make).
I'd be a liar if I said I didnt support the hacking of consoles, homebrew, etc. I own pretty much every retro console and have some sort of flash cart, homebrew or backup loader installed on each of them. But I also understand that if the Switch is going to be cracked wide open so soon after release, this could potentially discourage devs from wanting to invest time into making games on this platform in the future. Which is something I dont want to see.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when people come claiming future proof...... hmmm pinch of salt.

i find this claim to be rather large considering how young the switch is and how early this hack is.

im sure nintendo will find ways to block it

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
when people come claiming future proof...... hmmm pinch of salt.

i find this claim to be rather large considering how young the switch is and how early this hack is.

im sure nintendo will find ways to block it
It CAN'T be blocked. It's an exploit with the hardware itself, since Nintendo used the Nvidia Tegra X1, which has been documented for a WHILE now. They's have to make an entirely new hardware revision to block it, and even then, at least 4.8 million Switches are already hackable with this method.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In my experience "Future Proof" is PR speak for update-able as in whatever Modchip they release can be updated to potentially counter any blocks Nintendo put in place.

Reactions: PrincessLillie

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It CAN'T be blocked. It's an exploit with the hardware itself, since Nintendo used the Nvidia Tegra X1, which has been documented for a WHILE now. They's have to make an entirely new hardware revision to block it, and even then, at least 4.8 million Switches are already hackable with this method.
And more than 10 million worldwide already :P

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But I also understand that if the Switch is going to be cracked wide open so soon after release, this could potentially discourage devs from wanting to invest time into making games on this platform in the future. Which is something I dont want to see.
I don't think that will happen. The Switch is currently the fastest selling console of all time according to a front page article on here. Nintendo has sold what, like 10s of millions of these things already? If this thing is easy to install and use, it'll probably sell hundreds of thousands. If it's not, it will be significantly less than that. Either figure equates to a fraction of 1 percent of the entire Switch user base. It's like 1 glass of water taken out of the Atlantic Ocean.

spiderman1216

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That study talks about movies, games, and music as a whole. Music and movies arent affected as much because most people subscribe to streaming services. Also with movies, people pay for the cinema experience. With games, the majority of the numbers I'd imagine would be made up of Xbox and Playstation gamers, where hacking their consoles would be far more difficult, especially when you consider the fact that people also want to game online.
The ones who get hit the most by piracy are basically Nintendo devices and handheld devices because they seem to get cracked sooner, and also because online isnt usually a major selling point on those platforms (making it a sacrifice the pirates are willing to make).
I'd be a liar if I said I didnt support the hacking of consoles, homebrew, etc. I own pretty much every retro console and have some sort of flash cart, homebrew or backup loader installed on each of them. But I also understand that if the Switch is going to be cracked wide open so soon after release, this could potentially discourage devs from wanting to invest time into making games on this platform in the future. Which is something I dont want to see.

I really doubt this hack will do much to discourage developers from investing in the Switch platform I think it's safe to say that piracy on console is so minuscule it's not worth worry about.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
I really doubt this hack will do much to discourage developers from investing in the Switch platform I think it's safe to say that piracy on console is so minuscule it's not worth worry about.
I agree here. I personally don't condone piracy, and the only reason I mod consoles is for the game mods and online revival services like Wiimmfi and RiiConnect24. Piracy is just meh, I'd rather support the developers.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I agree here. I personally don't condone piracy, and the only reason I mod consoles is for the game mods and online revival services like Wiimmfi and RiiConnect24. Piracy is just meh, I'd rather support the developers.
I just want the ability to play my latest bought games AND be able to use Homebrew at the same time.. If this "method" allows this and Softmods dont, it's going to be hard to not consider it tbh.

Last edited by ploggy,

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine

LOL you didn't ready the study, did you? The result of that study was, that movies and music are indeed affected by piracy since it has direct negative impact on sales. Games on the contrary have a positive impact because of the piracy, since people who pirated a game tend to buy it one way or another. They are not talking about consones where you can't pirate games, they are SPECIFICALLY talking about games that were pirated and then afterwards bought by the same individuals. Another aspect is the positive effect of hype which is a result of a certain game being pirated so often, that the popularity of that game increases on some media channels like internet boards, youtube etc., which leads to a higher demand for that game saleswise. You are not smarter than people for whom surveys are their bread and butter.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Games on the contrary have a positive impact because of the piracy, since people who pirated a game tend to buy it one way or another.

Tend to? Really? That sounds like a lie.

The argument is normally the other way that piracy isn't a lost sale because they wouldn't have bought it anyway.

Reactions: chartube12

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Tend to? Really? That sounds like a lie.

The argument is normally the other way that piracy isn't a lost sale because they wouldn't have bought it anyway.

That's a bullshit argument used by fat kids online. Read the study for full enclosure.

D

Deleted User

I really hope somebody will find a way to implement it in software for free. I like free stuff and open source- then others will also improve the code

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

In my experience "Future Proof" is PR speak for update-able as in whatever Modchip they release can be updated to potentially counter any blocks Nintendo put in place.
Actually, some future proof stuff was announced on 34c3, so it could be legit. Theres some weird bug that depends on hardware...

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
LOL you didn't ready the study, did you? The result of that study was, that movies and music are indeed affected by piracy since it has direct negative impact on sales. Games on the contrary have a positive impact because of the piracy, since people who pirated a game tend to buy it one way or another. They are not talking about consones where you can't pirate games, they are SPECIFICALLY talking about games that were pirated and then afterwards bought by the same individuals. Another aspect is the positive effect of hype which is a result of a certain game being pirated so often, that the popularity of that game increases on some media channels like internet boards, youtube etc., which leads to a higher demand for that game saleswise. You are not smarter than people for whom surveys are their bread and butter.
No, I didn't read that study. But I've read plenty of studies and articles about this subject in general. Every time they talk about video game piracy, they're talking about PC games. The numbers and figures they use talk about things like PC cracks, Steam sales or the impact of Denuvo, etc. Members of the PC master race usually tend to have gaming rigs that cost them an arm and a leg, so they'd be willing to throw a little more money to legitimately purchase games.
Then there's the home video game consoles. You can't hack your PS4 or Xbox One to pirate games (AFAIK). Pretty much any kind of exploit on previous gen consoles, usually restricted you from online play, which is most cases is the major selling point for any game. So both of these groups won't be affected by piracy so much, and that shows in the surveys.

But the issue in this thread isnt about those people. Its about Nintendo and handhelds. No one ever goes around surveying how many people have Luma installed on their 3DS or Henkaku on their Vita's. These are far more "underground" and rarely acknowledged in any kind of study that I've personally seen. These are the guys who do most of the pirating. Not PC users, not console users.
Notice how its these formats that also have things such as "NPS Browser" or "Wii U USB Helper". Software thats basically a sort of free itunes that lets you download and pirate ANY game with ease. Its people who use these that pirate on a large scale, and no one is counting these people. But I'm sure you ask Sony about their Vita sales or Nintendo about their Wii U sales, and you probably wont get a positive response.

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even though the Switch is a success Nintendo have got some way to go before they can stop caring about potential piracy, and at least with this thing likely being a modchip it'll stay a small scale issue.

Personally speaking, there isn't enough of interest on the platform (only Mario Odessey really) or on the horizon for me to consider picking a Switch up.. but if a homebrew scene can begin to flourish - with the potential for highly optimised emulators and awesome system tools - that'll be something pretty damn nice. After all, I'd gotten bored of the 3DS until ironhax came around and made it relevant to me again.

Not sure if the Switch's curtailed access to its SD card (compared to on the 3ds) might be an issue for those eagerly awaiting having their PS1, Dreamcast and GC collections on hand for their daily commute so it'll be interesting to see how this will all play out.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though the Switch is a success Nintendo have got some way to go before they can stop caring about potential piracy, and at least with this thing likely being a modchip it'll stay a small scale issue.

Personally speaking, there isn't enough of interest on the platform (only Mario Odessey really) or on the horizon for me to consider picking a Switch up.. but if a homebrew scene can begin to flourish - with the potential for highly optimised emulators and awesome system tools - that'll be something pretty damn nice. After all, I'd gotten bored of the 3DS until ironhax came around and made it relevant to me again.

Not sure if the Switch's curtailed access to its SD card (compared to on the 3ds) might be an issue for those eagerly awaiting having their PS1, Dreamcast and GC collections on hand for their daily commute so it'll be interesting to see how this will all play out.

But there's a flaw, see, when homebrew flourishes, most viable/exploitable systems will be gone off the shelves, and the new shipments of Switch consoles will be on newer firmware. Homebrew will be limited to a severely narrow band of exploitable firmware. Unless people can get homebrew on all firmware, people won't be buying Switch consoles for homebrew.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm here.