Team Xecuter reveal info on upcoming Switch modchip

SwitchTX.jpg

Just over a week ago, team Xecuter announced that they are working on a soon-to-be-revealed modchip for the Nintendo Switch. This was big news because modchip devices are usually used to circumvent anti-piracy measures on many digital platforms, but mainly gaming systems, and to see one already in the works for a machine that is only 10 months old is very rare.

Since then the team have been quiet, no one knows what the device will look like, how it will work, or when they can get their hands on one - but GBAtemp can exclusively reveal today that there will be BOTH a solder AND solderless option of team Xecuter's Nintendo Switch modchip.

Here is a direct quote from team Xecuter:

For now, I can tell you there is a solder and solderless version. We have quite a lot in the works, you will have more info soon.

The difference in pricing should be interesting in the two versions of the device, but at least you can now rest safely, knowing that the team will be providing options for whatever the Xecuter Switch modchip turns out to be.

Stay tuned to GBAtemp for more info in the upcoming weeks.

Attachments

• nintendo-switch.jpg
    nintendo-switch.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 172

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
if they had a software only solution they wouldn't bother making hardware, same would apply to people expecting some magic dongle are almost certainly going to be disappointed, why bother making something that would require stripping the console down if they could just design a nice usb stick

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
if they had a software only solution they wouldn't bother making hardware, same would apply to people expecting some magic dongle are almost certainly going to be disappointed, why bother making something that would require stripping the console down if they could just design a nice usb stick
Soldering would be a bit more permanent and the solder-less option could potentially be a semi-tethered kind if option. Just a guess.

DarkRioru

reach for the stars
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
what is a modchip even used for? it see it used mainly for hacking consoles that can't be hacked easily via exploits like xbox 360, ps3 etc. but, to see one for the switch? what is the advantage to having a modchip soderless or not over a software based hack like ninjahax, b9s, like the 3ds had?

Last edited by DarkRioru,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what is a modchip even used for? it see it used mainly for hacking consoles that can't be hacked easily via exploits like xbox 360, ps3 etc. but, to see one for the switch? what is the advantage to having a modchip soderless or not over a software based hack like ninjahax, b9s, like the 3ds had?
Permanence, I'd assume

DarkRioru

reach for the stars
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
holy shit, is that eminem in your sig or is that chester from linkin park? either way RIP :'(

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Permanence, I'd assume
I hope its a modchip that's a modified switch dock chip that you place into the existing official dock to instantly hack any switch hardware... that would be interesting to see...

Reactions: Deleted User

Shokan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anyone remember the Xapt3r adapter for the xecuter X3 modchip? Back in the days of the original Xbox.
IMO by solderless they just mean an additional adapter connected/cliped on a chip or something equivalent to the Xbox v1 Tsop:

38.jpg

I think that both solution will be internal but the soldered one will be like 15-20$ cheaper.

Last edited by Shokan,

_______

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
i know which is why i pointed out that the switch has not been out very long , they were not looking for that long
and others have apparently found it too ,see the latest tweet from F0F
they say it is non patchable w/o a hardware revision, does not need a mod chip ,
maybe it is a DRM chip? maybe it is a downgrader that uses the same exploit as F0F or maybe the exploit exists on all current FW's but nobody wanted to tip off N before TX announced

Chip solution might works better than software solutions, since it might not take any of the system resources. (But we'll have to wait and see.)

And sure they could have done it with the SW, but it's hard to make solid profit from that and mod chips would be harder to clone (compares to SW mod).

Either way, they are giving people options, better than nothing at this point of the game.

Tempest228

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, whatever it is, I hope it it easy to install and works going forward. Hope it's also compatible with homebrew software. Missed the software solution train.

Reactions: Hondyn
D

Deleted User

Interested to see what their solderless solution will be like.

Surely not a cartridge, but maybe they found a way to make sure of the usb port and use the "recovery mode".
ohhh maybe.... That would be interesting if it takes advantage of the recovery mode.

DarkRioru

reach for the stars
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps a solderless option is for the dock. Like... in dock mode. and solder option is for everywhere!
or maybe the soderless adds a software inject into the switch itself??? we aren't that ahead in the switch hacking are we? the system has not been only been out for a year....

D

Deleted User

or maybe the soderless adds a software inject into the switch itself??? we aren't that ahead in the switch hacking are we? the system has not been only been out for a year....
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if fail0verflow installed an exploit without a hardmod, then we can at least hijack the TX chip to do the same once released.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
D

Deleted-368796

Here is my theoretical assessment:
For any FW 2.0+, the modchip will likely be needed on every boot. Because we will not be able to overwrite TrustZone. So the soldered chip would be best and most reliable.
Unless TeamX has an undisclosed TZ exploit past 1.0 (which I think is highly unlikely), we would be reliant on the chip for boot.

Edit: Sorry, typo'd. Meant FW 3.0+, and if TeamX has a TZ exploit beyond the already documented one on 1.0
They would not have the TZ exploit that SciresM found on 2.x recently, unless they have their own.

Last edited by ,

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is my theoretical assessment:
For any FW 2.0+, the modchip will likely be needed on every boot. Because we will not be able to overwrite TrustZone. So the soldered chip would be best and most reliable.
Unless TeamX has an undisclosed TZ exploit past 1.0 (which I think is highly unlikely), we would be reliant on the chip for boot.
of course they have TZ past 1.0 WAAAyY past
sciresM already has it then they definitely have it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: In emulation overclocked FX chips makes a pretty big difference in frame rate