Team Xecuter reveal info on upcoming Switch modchip

SwitchTX.jpg

Just over a week ago, team Xecuter announced that they are working on a soon-to-be-revealed modchip for the Nintendo Switch. This was big news because modchip devices are usually used to circumvent anti-piracy measures on many digital platforms, but mainly gaming systems, and to see one already in the works for a machine that is only 10 months old is very rare.

Since then the team have been quiet, no one knows what the device will look like, how it will work, or when they can get their hands on one - but GBAtemp can exclusively reveal today that there will be BOTH a solder AND solderless option of team Xecuter's Nintendo Switch modchip.

Here is a direct quote from team Xecuter:

For now, I can tell you there is a solder and solderless version. We have quite a lot in the works, you will have more info soon.

The difference in pricing should be interesting in the two versions of the device, but at least you can now rest safely, knowing that the team will be providing options for whatever the Xecuter Switch modchip turns out to be.

Stay tuned to GBAtemp for more info in the upcoming weeks.

Attachments

• nintendo-switch.jpg
    nintendo-switch.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 172

Sephirosu

Trophies
XP
Country
People claiming that it's a hacked dock are probably right on the money. It's probably a bridge chip connected to the board that translates USB-C to HDMI/USB-3.0. Sort of how the old Wii chip functioned.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why on earth would you solder a card reader to your switch it would look shocking?

So? Free games right?

and the dock will not be what they have done. It will simply be a chip that clips / solders onto the motherboard.

You can't know that. If it's like the psjailbreak where a usb device could cause a buffer overrun, then a dock could very much be how it works.

It could also be how fail0verflow's exploit works.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
T...so I'm looking forward towards cheating in 2, Skyrim, even though Skyrim is already easy with its glitches, I wanna make Skyrim more like the PC, not mods but something else.

Zelda is gonna be real fun with cheats, a Master Sword with endless energy.
Hell yeah, I could have played Skyrim in the PC, but I also played the original for hundred of hours in my RGH360 and off course I hex edited some things in the save :).

Just Cause 2 on the X360 was also pretty funny I tested a huge amount of hex values on the guns and found probably all the gun codes, there were some crazy infinite cannons which made everything way more fun :).

Those type of games I usually prefer to play on consoles than on PC, even though I can totally mod Skyrim on PC I kinda get bored fast, on the X360 I probably made around 500 hours and still had lot more to go since I barely seen the whole map, I usually do sidequests near the first location and around it and only quite a few hours after I start going to quests further away, so I never finished it :(.

ps: a modded switch would probably make me go back to skyrim and mode it when backups+modding get possible ;)...
People claiming that it's a hacked dock are probably right on the money. It's probably a bridge chip connected to the board that translates USB-C to HDMI/USB-3.0. Sort of how the old Wii chip functioned.
Hell, I hope it's nothing like that, unless its just used once to install a CFW\emunand or whatever and then we can go portable, else I won't even care, since what I like in the switch is the portability and not how it is as a home console since even my PS4 Pro disappoints me :).

Last edited by guily6669,

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to sound like an ass but.

n5ggssqhouodg.jpg

The console has zero notable games, what's there to crack jack?

Hey dude sorry but f%$k you, the switch has some cool games, sure no COD shite but Hey who the f@&k needs that shit on yet another console.

Sephirosu

Trophies
XP
Country
Hell, I hope it's nothing like that, unless its just used once to install a CFW\emunand or whatever and then we can go portable, else I won't even care, since what I like in the switch is the portability and not how it is as a home console since even my PS4 Pro disappoints me :).

It's all just speculations from my part. I just see it as the most reliable way for it to be solderless and future proof unless Nintendo can patch out the way the switch communicates with the adaptor.

D

Deleted-368796

Highly doubt it would be via the USB-C port. I may be mistaken, but I don't think the Switch will recognize any USB devices on firmware 1.0. Since TX claims it works on all FW, I have my doubts about this possibility.

But to add to the theory of it actually being possible....
TeamX seemingly intentionally did not show the bottom of the Switch in their video
and fail0verflow also did not show if anything was connected to the USB-C (cable/wires could have been hidden)

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It seems to me that the only reason the whole dock speculation started was because of a stock photo of the Switch. If TX had chosen a different photo of just the console alone then I bet no one would be talking about hacking the dock.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It seems to me that the only reason the whole dock speculation started was because of a stock photo of the Switch. If TX had chosen a different photo of just the console alone then I bet no one would be talking about hacking the dock.
The dock speculation actually started before that pic

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who knows! Like i said, i will keep lurking and maybe even jump in later.
Not a single console hyped me that much at launch day... I always wait a few years until a good amount of awesome games and promotions come out...

And Switch will surely go way further away than PS Vita crap that has no performance, no games and not even support by Sony it self...

Switch just for having things like the latest Wolfenstein and awesome visuals shows that they have really got something special in terms of a portable console and what it's capable...

Ps: and since Nintendo + Nvidia have a contract for a few years, if Nintendo later decide to launch a new Nintendo with the new upcoming tegra Volta based, we would have the craziest thing possible for quite some time. Thought technology is changing so fast, intel shown a small supercomputer with 100x more efficiency than current CPUs and a small board with 4 CPUs and each with more than a hundred cores...

alexg1989

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gonna get the solderless version sine I've never soldered anything and I don't want to fuck up my brand new switch, considering I'll be buyying a brand spanking new Switch just for this. I don't want to risk getting my current Switch banned.

Anyway, for those ofyou here withe xperience, when homebrew comes along, how well do you think this system, when you consider it's specs, will run things like Nintendo 64, PS2, Gamecube...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you @Xdqwerty