Hardware Template for PS3 Slim fan mod

democracy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are rhere any? Viewed a youtube video in which a pro simply layed down a template on the top of his PS3 slim, traced with pencil and went to town with a dremmel. Got me thinking that perhaps these designs with measurements may be availble online?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Laying a template on your PS3 and sticking it with a dremel isn't "pro"

Why would you need a fan mod?
Slims barely overheat already.
And if they do, change out the thermal paste.

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did this (a fan mod on my case) and it has been useful to me, before this I always had to clean the dust when I opened the PS3, I noticed A LOT less dust in my PS3 and it was overhaul more clean. I don't really play a whole not, but when I do it's games that are console-heavy like Skyrim or Oblivion. Open-world games mainly and some CFW stuff. No software fan control I use the default webman fan option everyone else uses. I followed this guide, it has really helped me. I have two cases though as a backup one, if you think you'll mess it up though, DON'T DO IT. Just like @DinohScene said as long as you aren't playing on it VERY long it's not required, and like @Lemon_ said don't break your console. Anyways good luck with this hope you find some solution or maybe you just don't do it all. :)

Reactions: democracy

democracy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Laying a template on your PS3 and sticking it with a dremel isn't "pro"

Why would you need a fan mod?
Slims barely overheat already.
And if they do, change out the thermal paste.
i think a better route rather then changing thermal paste is a simole fan mod no? It's just, the glass house (cpu+heat sink) works, so why tamper with it. Besides, a fan mod would bring temps to 50C (thermal paste alone cannot achieve) Also, a fan mod on a slim is quite simple compared to thermal paste replacement no?

50C would secure my device operation for life without having to continually muck around with it.

Last edited by democracy,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
i think a better route rather then changing thermal paste is a simole fan mod no? It's just, the glass house (cpu+heat sink) works, so why tamper with it. Besides, a fan mod would bring temps to 50C (thermal paste alone cannot achieve) Also, a fan mod on a slim is quite simple compared to thermal paste replacement no?

50C would secure my device operation for life without having to continually muck around with it.

The CELL CPU is designed to operate at higher temperatures tho.
Be advised that the PS3 doesn't have a life expectancy equals to that of your own.
Capacitors could fail, continuous heat-cool cycles of the BGA underneath the CPU/RSX will eventually crack due to the lack of lead being used.

If you're really worried about temperatures, liquid cool it.
It's been done before.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Took along time to fit it in?