Hardware The 360 Slim Faceplate Annoyance

Boomerams

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I have owned several 360 Slim's and all have sooner or later had the touch sensors go retarded on me. The systems would turn on or off by themselves and you would hear a random beep from the Xbox every now and then. I have tried everything to fix this and as some methods would work for a while it would inevitably start up again after a while.

I guess my real question is...is there a way or would an old non touch (physical) faceplate from an older 360 work? I don't have one but wanted to know if anyone thinks it is possible. I was thinking that the board the faceplate connects to looks the same all around so by replacing the faceplate and circuit board my it would work.

Thoughts anyone?

RESPECT!

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I have owned several 360 Slim's and all have sooner or later had the touch sensors go retarded on me. The systems would turn on or off by themselves and you would hear a random beep from the Xbox every now and then. I have tried everything to fix this and as some methods would work for a while it would inevitably start up again after a while.

I guess my real question is...is there a way or would an old non touch (physical) faceplate from an older 360 work? I don't have one but wanted to know if anyone thinks it is possible. I was thinking that the board the faceplate connects to looks the same all around so by replacing the faceplate and circuit board my it would work.

Thoughts anyone?

RESPECT!
I wish, i have this issue also, I'll be playing a game and, bing, the disc drive opens, it pisses me off, but the old 360 uses actual buttons, not this touch sensor with shitty ribbon cable.

Boomerams

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish, i have this issue also, I'll be playing a game and, bing, the disc drive opens, it pisses me off, but the old 360 uses actual buttons, not this touch sensor with shitty ribbon cable.

Yeah I know the old 360 uses physical buttons. But the little board behind the faceplate is what I was referring to. From what I remember, the connector on that board, which connects to the motherboard, looks to be the same.

Was wondering if it was possible to switch that board out with the old 360 one and be able to use the physical buttons from the old faceplate.

RESPECT!

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I know the old 360 uses physical buttons. But the little board behind the faceplate is what I was referring to. From what I remember, the connector on that board, which connects to the motherboard, looks to be the same.

Was wondering if it was possible to switch that board out with the old 360 one and be able to use the physical buttons from the old faceplate.

RESPECT!
I might have to look into this, if its possible, I wouldn't get your hopes up, but I have fat and slim 360's so when i get some free time i can check

Boomerams

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might have to look into this, if its possible, I wouldn't get your hopes up, but I have fat and slim 360's so when i get some free time i can check

WICKed awesome. I think one of my dogs is starting to hate it as well. Every time it beeps he growls. I think it woke him up then he woke me up to pull the plug on it. Was just looking into buying a new faceplate so I appreciate all the help.

RESPECT!

Reactions: wicksand420

Boomerams

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not possible unless you do a lot of hardware modding.

Try cleaning the touch buttons and reseating the ribbon cable.

I have tried that but always acts up again after a while. It's just something that bugs the crap out of me. Depending on what whicksand420 says, I might buy a few things and take up the hassle of figuring something out. I have a couple ideas in the works.

RESPECT!

D

Deleted User

Thoughts anyone?

RESPECT!
The issue is caused by humidity. Get yourself a dehumidifier or something

As for using an old faceplate you can do some with some minor modification and a few buttons. If you remove the faceplate from the slim model and investigate the rf board there are pin outs for power and inject. Simply wire up two buttons to them and route the button out somewhere. The easiest way would be to just remove the ribbon cable from the original faceplate as it is just held on with glue and to drill out two holes for the new buttons.
4ilMh

Boomerams

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue is caused by humidity. Get yourself a dehumidifier or something

As for using an old faceplate you can do some with some minor modification and a few buttons. If you remove the faceplate from the slim model and investigate the rf board there are pin outs for power and inject. Simply wire up two buttons to them and route the button out somewhere. The easiest way would be to just remove the ribbon cable from the original faceplate as it is just held on with glue and to drill out two holes for the new buttons.
4ilMh
Thanks for all the info. I am still waiting on a few extra parts to come in and then I will rig something up. I have been looking at the rf board already but your photos help. Will update when something happens with this.

RESPECT!

Reactions: Deleted User

Boomerams

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the info. I am still waiting on a few extra parts to come in and then I will rig something up. I have been looking at the rf board already but your photos help. Will update when something happens with this.

RESPECT!
So...I have been away for awhile and never had the chance to update this thread. I did solve my problem with my slim constantly beeping at by simply soldering in a physical switch that basically gets me around the touch sensors. I will try to take some pics and add a little info on what I did but I will warn you the design is really primitive and doesn't look good at all. When I get more time I will try to find a more internal/integrated approach to the design if people are actually interested in this.

RESPECT

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    ?tuw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yltcaxE