Hacking The Definitive vWii Hacking Guide!

racertj5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone link me an older version of USB Loader GX that works for them. This is the 3rd external drive I've tried and it still fails to initialize upon the first load. after so my external drives the problem has to be the loader since nintendont has no problem initializing or reading from any of the HDD's I've tried.
Let me know if you find anything. I'm having the exact same problem with 1263

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Can someone link me an older version of USB Loader GX
ah, I know the answer of that one!
USBLoaderGX main thread, first post, there's a link with all released revisions.

that works for them
that one is more tricky.
1263 works for me, and many users. The revision is not the problem.

Did you try setting IOS to 58 ?
I don't remember how many time I said in in the last 3 pages of this thread
Why nobody read other people's problem and solution instead of asking the same question? that's a public forum, not a private messaging system. answers are already everywhere.

edit:
Ok, sorry. I see I already suggested that to you 3 page back.
it "semi helped". but I find the result not normal. if you don't have the init issue, it's either because it's not the right port or it's working fine.

edit 2:
I don't remember if I asked : Is your drive using GPT or MBR ?
I vaguely remember USBLoaderGX having issue with GPT drives.
there was an issue with partition detection, something like registering twice the amount (2 partition, USBGX tried to mount 4 etc.)

to me, it's always a wonder why people are having issues, and have to mess with settings.
it's so simple to setup everything on first try. get d2x base57, plug a MBR FAT32, launch the loader, done ! at worse, you need y-cable and/or IOS58 in loader settings, but that's all.

Last edited by Cyan,

skullpatch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah, I know the answer of that one!
USBLoaderGX main thread, first post, there's a link with all released revisions.

that one is more tricky.
1263 works for me, and many users. The revision is not the problem.

Did you try setting IOS to 58 ?
I don't remember how many time I said in in the last 3 pages of this thread
Why nobody read other people's problem and solution instead of asking the same question? that's a public forum, not a private messaging system. answers are already everywhere.

edit:
Ok, sorry. I see I already suggested that to you 3 page back.
it "semi helped". but I find the result not normal. if you don't have the init issue, it's either because it's not the right port or it's working fine.

edit 2:
I don't remember if I asked : Is your drive using GPT or MBR ?
I vaguely remember USBLoaderGX having issue with GPT drives.
there was an issue with partition detection, something like registering twice the amount (2 partition, USBGX tried to mount 4 etc.)

to me, it's always a wonder why people are having issues, and have to mess with settings.
it's so simple to setup everything on first try. get d2x base57, plug a MBR FAT32, launch the loader, done ! at worse, you need y-cable and/or IOS58 in loader settings, but that's all.

Believe me it brings me great consternation to know that I can't get something to work properly when its an easy install for everyone else. But at this point im not too hung up about the issue. I can play all of the games when using IOS249 and the workaround for the "initializing USB device" hang up is easy enough so I'm just going to stick with that. I just really wanted to figure out why initializing the USB device caused it to freeze

To answer your questions I did try switching the Loader IOS to IOS 58 again but that came with its own set of issues

My drive is indeed formatted to MBR

Last edited by skullpatch,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
damn, I hoped your issue was due to GPT !
another dead end...

that's hard to tell what's wrong when I can't see it, or try with a debugger :(
like you said, for now you will have to init the drive first using another method (launch nintendont, or wiiflow, or HBC listing apps on USB), but that mean forwarder will not work.

Last edited by Cyan,

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on 5.5.2 on my Wii u. Do I have no alternative to getting homebrew on the vwii aside from buying one of the compatible retail games?

I was about to follow the vwii installation guide on wiiu.guide but now don't know if I will mess anything up being on 5.5.2. it makes no mention of it over on that site. Am I ok or not to proceed?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on 5.5.2 on my Wii u. Do I have no alternative to getting homebrew on the vwii aside from buying one of the compatible retail games?

I was about to follow the vwii installation guide on wiiu.guide but now don't know if I will mess anything up being on 5.5.2. it makes no mention of it over on that site. Am I ok or not to proceed?
You can install using wuphax and the 5.5.2 browser exploit.

ER_Mac3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi guys, I'm a bit of a hacking noob here so I have a few questions. I just set up my Wii U with Haxchi CFW for itself, without CBHC and any other further software so far, and currently using 5.5.2 update. I wanted to know which of the methods would be recommended for vWii hacking. I'm aware the post says 5.5.2 should use the old disc method, but that would require a new SDCard wouldn't it? Is the new method supported now for 5.5.2 users? Can I use the same SDCard from WiiU hacking for the vWii one?

Thanks in advance!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, I'm a bit of a hacking noob here so I have a few questions. I just set up my Wii U with Haxchi CFW for itself, without CBHC and any other further software so far, and currently using 5.5.2 update. I wanted to know which of the methods would be recommended for vWii hacking. I'm aware the post says 5.5.2 should use the old disc method, but that would require a new SDCard wouldn't it? Is the new method supported now for 5.5.2 users? Can I use the same SDCard from WiiU hacking for the vWii one?

Thanks in advance!

u can use the same sd card.

ER_Mac3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks for the reply! Btw, prefered method would be the first or second? And while we're at it, another thing I kinda stumbled upon, the problem with USB storage device (Error 160-0105) is due to power source of the external drive? Would a Y cable solve the issue?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't know since I hacked my virtual wii on 5.5.1. a y cable is a must if the drive is unpowered. I use one myself along with three extension cables, and the drive has never err'd.

Reactions: ER_Mac3

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
about the neek method, do u need to use fs toolbox or can u use a NAND dump from usb loader gx?
the FSDumper is probably better as neek is based on this dump format. (FSDumper from Crediar)
USBGX dump should work too, unless you have files with specific incompatible characters on FAT32, like the ":" in Harry potter savegame filename.

I think cIOS, FSToolbox and FSDumper are converting these characters differently, neek probably use the naming convention from FSDumper.
just try USBGX dump first.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the FSDumper is probably better as neek is based on this dump format. (FSDumper from Crediar)
USBGX dump should work too, unless you have files with specific incompatible characters on FAT32, like the ":" in Harry potter savegame filename.

I think cIOS, FSToolbox and FSDumper are converting these characters differently, neek probably use the naming convention from FSDumper.
just try USBGX dump first.

I am using the dump via normal cios in usb loader gx, but I'm wanting to have the best compatibility possible. will this also work through ustealth?

I managed to find the appropriate file to rename, 0000000e.app, and it was the correct size as well, so I assume it could work. just how do u enable neek in usbloader gx? do I just stick the usb_kernel.bin on the usb drive and rename is kernel.bin?

edit: the handling of files reminds me of ulaunch elf on the ps2. if a game save has incompatible files when copying and pasting it to a usb flash drive, the system will rename the file and create (I believe) a text file with the information about it having to be renamed along with it.

Last edited by godreborn,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, just rename the kernel and put it on usb:/sneek/ folder
Ustealth is not working with neek

To enable neek mode in the loader, go to either global or individual game settings (Individual is recommended, only use it for problematic games) and set the "EmuNAND channel" mode to neek instead of Full.

If you want Ustealth with emuNAND, cIOS is the solution but not all games will work.
You'll need a modded version of d2x v10 r52 which has Ustealth support.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, just rename the kernel and put it on usb:/sneek/ folder
Ustealth is not working with neek

If you want Ustealth with emuNAND, cIOS is the solution but not all games will work.
You'll need a modded version of d2x v10 r52 which has Ustealth support.

alright. I'll just use the cios method instead. yeah, u helped me with getting the right d2x 10 r52 version a while back. it works great!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
no, I don't think I helped you get the right one for EmuNAND Ustealth.
I probably just suggested the correct one for Wii games (d2x v10 r52 base57)

If you want emuNAND Ustealth, then you will have to reinstall r52 with that specific version.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/ciosx-rev21d2x-yet-another-hot-fix.277659/page-163#post-5092147
if you kept my d2x installer pack, just replace the FAT library in the r52 folder with the one provided by Airline38 and reinstall the cIOS.

Last edited by Cyan,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, replacing the fat library is what I did. u did point me in that direction since I thought it was a bug with ustealth at first.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ok, good.

just a question, your "kernel_usb" file, where did you found it?
in your other (duplicate, that I will delete) thread, you said you didn't compile neek yourself.
if you didn't follow the guide, then you don't have the correct files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Thank you based Dinoh.