Hacking The different WiiU game's formats, and how to convert them

okeribok

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi, I am trying to find my way into this enchanted forest of wii u hacking. It seems to me that using something like utik DL helper to DL and then convert to loadiine GX2 ready format would make things a whole lot easier. For one: you can use DLC without rednand, for two: no risk at all of NNID ban from going online in any way (anybody else scared by recent DS banning?), for three: run games from other regions on your console (taiko FTW!). (please do correct me if I'm wrong)

But I get lost in the woods. There is WUD decryption, but not tik DL decryption, it seems. Does anybody have suggestions?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
thanks to CreeperMario for the chart.
I wanted to do this in a "current hacking situation" guide, but I post it here for the moment.

357460-wiiu_format01_small-jpg.233540
Legend:
  • Blue boxes represent external storage locations, such as read-only discs and the console's storage.
  • Red boxes represent files that exist in your computer/SD card
  • Green boxes represent tools.

There are 3 origin (disc, eshop, or console)
and there are 3 format (wud, encrypted or decrypted)

Each format can be converted to another (except wud, it can't be generated back from encrypted content).

What you want for loadiine is the decrypted content, the files and folders format.
If you already have the Encrypted content, you can use a program to decrypt them.
I recommend Cdecrypt (command line windows) or JNUStool (Java), you will have to provide the encrypted title key to decrypt your encrypted content and the common key too (to decrypt the encrypted title key).

pick one of the tool you want here :

Disc dumper :
- Private device (WiikeyU?)
wudump
Disc2app dumps Disc and extract to encrypted content file format directly to SD or USB!​

WUD compressors :

Wud decrypters / Disc extractors : (Requires disc key + common key)

WUD decrypter+Content decrypter (Requires disc key [+ common key])

Content decrypters (Requires title key [+ common key])
Cdecrypt (I didn't find the official v0.1 release url, website is offline, so I linked to v0.2)
JNUSTool
WiiU USB Helper (get NUS data and can forge fake ticket if none provided). Discontinued. a modded version can be found on reddit.​

content encrypters (Requires common key)

NUS downloaders (Requires game's titleID [+ game's ticket])
NUSGrabber (no ticket used or generated), and a GUI
JNUSTool (no ticket used or generated)
UWizard (no ticket used or generated)
uTikDownloadHelper (use provided ticket to get NUS data). has a GUI.
FunkiiU (get NUS data and can forge fake ticket if none provided). has a GUI.

WiiU USB Helper (get NUS data and can forge fake ticket if none provided). Discontinued. a modded version can be found on reddit.
I probably forgot few of them here...​

NUS downloader+Content decrypter (Requires game's titleID + titleKey + common key)

Package installers:
WUP Installer (original from Crediar, not HBL compatible)
WUP Installer (HBL Version, from dimok), y mod, benoit934 mod, etc. (look on github for all the mods)
WUP Installer GX2​

File dumpers
1) - For loadiine only:
dumpiine (Launched game rpx and rpl only)
Loadiine xml dumper (launched game incomplete cos.xml and app.xml, for loadiine only)
ddd (Launched Game virtual link to Code, content and meta folder)

These tools can only dump incomplete code folder (.rpx .rpl app.xml cos.xml) from the RAM which can result in some issues.
Additionally, ddd is dumping an incomplete virtual folder provided by the console which is a merged of both game+updates together, producing a bad dump of a game which can't be repacked to encrypted format.
In most cases the dumped files are fine for e.g. loadiine or Cemu, but when you try to repack them into encrypted NUS Files, they won't work on console.
The .xml's are incomplete (for example the complete permission section in the cos.xml is missing) and unloaded rpl's are NOT dumped at all (the preload.txt isn't dumped either). A NUS downloader can be used instead to get and decrypt the complete and original files which can be repacked.
2) - individual file dumpers:
Saviine Backup/restore the launched game's savegame only. requires a computer's server running at the same time.
SaveMii Backup/restore multiple savegames slots directly from the console (no server side required). Requires Mocha CFW. Savemii mod may works with CBHC.​
3) - Full NAND Access:
WUP Server/Client
FSDumper
FT2SD
ftpiiU_everywhere

File writers:
WUP Server/Client
ftpiiU_everywhere

Last edited by Cyan,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would like some nice little logo, like a wiiU, a disc, computer icons, nintendo servers, etc.
maybe the last 2 lines are not needed and makes the chart too hard to read? I like the 3 first lines only, I added the 2 lines later to explain what we could do with each format.
well, if you make an image, I could edit it later if I make a proper guide.

I think graphics for sysNAND and redNAND could help users too (understanding where the files are installed, ticket, etc.) based on where the games are installed with WUP installer. but maybe it's not needed, I'll think about it later.

Reactions: air2004

Maschell

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nice overview @Cyan ! Just one small addition
Homebrew file dumpers
dumpiine (Launched game rpx and rpl only)
Loadiine xml dumper (launched game incomplete cos.xml and app.xml, for loadiine only)
ddd (Launched Game Code, content and meta folder )

This tool can only dump the code folder (.rpx .rpl app.xml cos.xml) from the RAM which can result in some issues.
In most cases the dumped files are fine for e.g. loadiine or Cemu, but when you try to repack them encrypted NUS Files, they won't on console.
The .xml's are incomplete (for example the complete permission section in the cos.xml is missing) and unloaded rpl's are NOT dumped at all (the preload.txt isn't dumped either).

Not we have the iosuexploit and dump them easily (and correct) with e.g. the new ftpii version or wupclient. (or download them from NUS as we can dump the tickets now)

Last edited by Maschell,

okeribok

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Here is a clickable PDF for (most of) this.
I googled each unlinked item and preferred GBAtemp links. Could not find a link to emulators or a WUP server.

HTH

Attachments

• wiiuhackinglandscape.pdf
    19.1 KB · Views: 2,441
Reactions: Deleted User

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usually wrong dumped cos files are 2kb (if your cos.xml file is 2kb it is 100% sure the game was dumped using ddd), correct size should be 4 or 5 kb

EDIT: WUD images are not obtained via ddd.

Last edited by asper,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
thanks for the graphic but that's not what I expected. it's exactly the same I did, just on a pdf, there's no pictures.
I hoped something like that :
022_HCI1110_ufig1.jpg

or even simple 2D icons like that

I edited the chart on my post anyway, so your pdf is now outdated :P
Adding the program's names on your chart will make it quickly outdated too, on each new released tool.
having generic names (like my new chart) is better, then we can list each existing program separately without re-creating the graphic.
but you can do it if you want.

also, the parentheses are not really useful in the chart, it's taking space and make it hard to read.
(.app/h3/ticket/cert)
(files and folder)
I might remove them.

okeribok

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It might take some tries to get this right. I think it would be nice to link to comprehensive tutorials too. A lot of this info on linked pages is *almost* what I need, but not quite.
Would it be possible to suggest a preferred tool/method for each step? I find it hard to choose between options and do not have the patience to try all :P
Then I will find the fanciest icons I can.

okeribok

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Back on topic: can someone tell me how to use jnustool, cdecrypt (or other if appropriate) to convert a set of NUS files (game, update and dlc) for loadiine?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
All the usage are provided in each official thread's first post, or when running the program in a command line and reading the expected command line format.

Cdecrypt is a Windows command line tool.
Download your game's encrypted data (the .app, .h3, title.tmd, ticket and cert)
extract Cdecrypt content in that same folder
run a command line window and type this :
Cdecrypt.exe title.tmd title.tik WiiUcommonkey.bin

the common key binary needs to be in binary hex format, not as a text string format. you need to find ir/create the file first before running that command line.
(note: v2.0b does not need the binary common key file argument)

JNustool is a a java program, and can be used to do the same thing, thought it's usually doing it directly from the download part.
if you already gave the downloaded encrypted files, you'll have to rename the folder where your app files are located.
tmp_<TITLEID>

for example :
tmp_0005001B10051000

Copy that folder into your JNUStool installed folder.
Then run a command line window and type :
java -jar JNUStool.jar <TITLEID> <TITLEKEY>

Example :
java -jar JNUStool.jar 0005001B10051000 0155454145RANDOMKEYFORTHEEXAMPLE015253401

As you can't share title keys or tickets here, you'll have to find them yourself.
the title key is located in the ticket (title.tik), you can find it in an hexeditor at 0x1BF

okeribok

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thank you so much for replying, but I need a little more specific info. For example: three folders come out of JNUStool (this sounds like a joke), one is the game, two is the update and three is DLC. I get how to make the game loadiine ready, but not how to make the update and dlc loadiine ready. If I just copy all files into the same directory, I get name conflicts. I must admit I have not tried to decrypt it with all files in one folder with overwriting, because I think that this does not work.

So to summarize: Thank you for explaining how to make a NUS game loadiine ready, but: how do I make updates and dlc from NUS loadiine ready?

Maschell

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You decrypt all files in the same folder. The result will be loadiine ready. You'll end with a code/content/meta folder (game), and updates folder (update), and aocXXXXX (dlc).

Example from the loadiine thread
6cc1964f84.png

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
for the updates, there are two methods:

- merged files method :
copy and replace all the 3 folders (code content meta) of the update into the 3 folders of the full game (code content meta).
The result is what the WiiU "send" to the CPU when playing a game officially (when you play from a disc, with update downloaded from eShop, it "show" only the most recent file from the two available path).
So, merging them is doing the same : providing the most recent file.

Inconvenient : The issue is that you can't revert it ! if one update is crashing with loadiine (for example Mario kart is crashing with updates), then you have to re-extract the full game without updates.
You can't merge an older update, you need to re-extract the full game and merge with the update you want. you can only merge with newer updates without deleting all your files.
You also can't select which update you want to play with on the fly.

- Update selection method :
Like the picture posted above, you can see that you can place updates in a subfolder.
code, content, meta AND updates
in the "updates" create a new folder with whatever name you want (but usually, it's best to keep the generated name from JNUStool if it's an update, because it's the update version : v64, v8, v32 etc.)
If you want another name, it could be "English patch" for example, and have the translated files in that folder. (no translation team released files in that format yet)

in this folder you created, you place the code/content/meta of the update.

When you launch Loadiine, if you have "game option at launch" enabled, you will have a menu to select which update folder to apply "on the fly" like the console would do with an original disc+update, except here loadiine let you choose which update to merge instead of the most recent one.

Inconvenient : Some games are not working with this mode, and will require the merged method. Look at the compatibility list to know if you can use "on the fly" updates or need to merge manually.

For the AOC, like said, copy the folder to the game's folder too.
Mario Kart 8 [AMKP01]/code, content, meta, updates, aocxxxxx

Reactions: Maschell

kobayashi90

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
ryuko.space
XP
Country
Iceland
I have so many Loadiine Games downloaded on Hard Drive, can i convert them to work with WUP Install Y Mod
So converting "Loadiine Game" to "Wii U Ticket Files"!

Ive found a tool called "Wii U Installer Packer V5" but i dont know if it works with Loadiine Games!

wii_u_packer.png

loadiine_games.png

ticket_files.png

If anyone can help me?
Please do!

Reactions: Yoni Arousement

Conn0r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have so many Loadiine Games downloaded on Hard Drive, can i convert them to work with WUP Install Y Mod
So converting "Loadiine Game" to "Wii U Ticket Files"!

Ive found a tool called "Wii U Installer Packer V5" but i dont know if it works with Loadiine Games!

wii_u_packer.png

loadiine_games.png

ticket_files.png

If anyone can help me?
Please do!
It will (probably work) but you WILL need sigpatches to install and run.

laz305

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I haven't tried yet but I take it it's wishful thinking that my Wii Portable HD that has all my Wii games and GC Games will work on the vWii HBC? If not any advice to transfer it?

D

Deleted User

Here, have some graphics with your brew. :lol:
Wii U Format Grid.001.png

• Blue boxes represent external storage locations, such as read-only discs and the console's storage.
  • Red boxes represent files that exist in your computer/SD card
  • Green boxes represent tools.

Reactions: WiiuGold and Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you for the graphics.
it's nice and clean.

Someone else made one too, I asked for little icons to represent each elements and made this one.
But I like yours with the simple colors and arrows.

I'm not native english speaker and was wondering if it's decrypters or decryptors ?
compresser/ssor, etc.?

So I haven't tried yet but I take it it's wishful thinking that my Wii Portable HD that has all my Wii games and GC Games will work on the vWii HBC? If not any advice to transfer it?
that's not the correct thread, here it's for WiiU file format, not Wii and vWii homebrew.
But to answer your question : yes, vWii works with Wii devices. vWii works like a wii, so of course it will work. Just do not run Wii system tools on vWii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.