Hardware The heck is going on with GPU sales?

gman666

Cubicle Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this is mostly caused by altcoins and Ether.. It doesn't make sense for anyone to mine bitcoin with consumer grade GPUs. Apparently, Ethereum will switch from a POW system to POS within this year. That means that GPU prices will go down as mining Ether will become non existent.

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not really understanding this. Wouldn't it make less sense to mine now that the price is lower? If 1 BTC is $10,000, (and for the sake of argument, I'll use imaginary numbers) and it costs $100 on your electric bill to mine .01 Bitcoin, that means that you spend $100 to make $100. If Bitcoin were worth $20,000, spending the same money on electric would get you $200, or a 2x return on your money.
They are not mining for new bitcoins. They are mining for transaction fees, which is currently a lot thanks to everyone panicking.

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I used to hate the Lighning network idea because it sounded like fraud, but if it's put into place it will repair Bitcoin's liquidity and deincentivize mining by eliminating transaction fees. Seems to be coming out soon, finally.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
D

Deleted User

The thing is this didnt just affect all the mid range cards like the 1060 and the rx 480 or 580,but it also killed the high range cards like the 1070 and the 1080 aswell as the budget 1050ti's,which used to cost 140$ now costs as much as what a 1060 should cost.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You gotta look for those used deals. The 1060 6GB costs between 500 and 800 now, but I scored a used one for 365. A little over priced, but worth it for the new rig I'm building. You can also find some rx 580s on ebay for $300-$400 if you're lucky.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I picked up a 4k tv and wanted to upgrade my gpu to get some better gaming results. I got lucky and picked up a gtx 1060 6gb at best buy for $300, but was pretty unimpressed with the performance gains compared to my r9 270x 4gb. I swapped the 1060 out for a similarly priced RX 480 8gb and that thing performed worse than the 1060. Definitely not worth $300, and they go for a lot more than that online. I returned the 480 and I'll be waiting for something with substantially more power, and not for $900USD. Here's to hoping that maybe the Vega 2 or Titan 2 can actually be an upgrade, but that's if the prices actually start getting back to the msrp.

optikalsaint

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bitcoin just crashed, so miners are trying to mine the shit out of it to gain bitcoin while it's cheap, hoping it'll peak again soon

No one mines Bitcoin with GPUs anymore and that hasn't been a thing since ASIC miners were created many years ago.

Why can't they buy the miner cards? I mean leave the consumer gpus for the ones who actually use them for gaming/hd/4k not mining fucking cypto money

There are no miner specific GPU's currently on the market outside of announcements of yet to be released products from AMD. Regardless, more GPU's get purchased in bulk by companies like Amazon, Google, and Microsoft for their hosting/cloud based machine learning platforms. Those purchases far outweigh the amount of GPU supply going towards the cryptocurrency world due to GPUs being much better suited for a lot of machine learning over regular CPUs

Because all of those have been cleaned out already

Can't clean them out if they do not exist yet. The closest ones to come into existence were just prototypes announced that were just regular consumer GPUs with higher quality fans that won't burn out as quickly from running at 80%-100% fan speeds 24/7

SegWit2x was supposed to fix this, wasn't it?

SegWit2x was a Bitcoin hard fork and as stated above, Bitcoin doesn't use GPUs to mine. SegWit2x was also never released due to the fact that the community did not want it since Segregated Witness was already released and it would have been a centralized effort by a few companies to try and take over the decentralized Bitcoin network in a hostile fashion. Lack of support for the movement left it dead in the water.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I used to hate the Lighning network idea because it sounded like fraud, but if it's put into place it will repair Bitcoin's liquidity and deincentivize mining by eliminating transaction fees. Seems to be coming out soon, finally.

Lightning Network is already released on the mainnet in testing form and had between 75-80 active nodes when I last checked yesterday. On Wednesday there were only 17 active nodes on mainnet. I would expect if no drastic bugs are discovered in the protocol and all different implementations of of the layer 2 network continue to work together, we should start seeing wide spread use of the network toward the end of the year. Keep in mind that Segregated Witness launched on mainnet on August 1st, 2017 and still only about 10% of Bitcoin traffic is processed with segwit on a daily basis due to most users still relying on insecure third party custodians to manager their private keys, so adoption can be slow even if it is deployed. Those custodians have no business intensive to move to segwit since most of their systems were written years ago and would require massive overhauls. The amount of developer rot in Coinbase's infrastructure alone is enough to make a senior developer throw their hands in the air, douse everything in gasoline, light it on fire, and start over from scratch.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one mines Bitcoin with GPUs anymore and that hasn't been a thing since ASIC miners were created many years ago.
Correct, but a lot of mainstream mining pools allow users to convert to Bitcoin for payouts
Can't clean them out if they do not exist yet. The closest ones to come into existence were just prototypes announced that were just regular consumer GPUs with higher quality fans that won't burn out as quickly from running at 80%-100% fan speeds 24/7
Not true, I recall XFX came out with a special custom card with no video outputs specifically for miners. Pretty sure it was based on an RX 480 8GB

SegWit2x was a Bitcoin hard fork and as stated above, Bitcoin doesn't use GPUs to mine. SegWit2x was also never released due to the fact that the community did not want it since Segregated Witness was already released and it would have been a centralized effort by a few companies to try and take over the decentralized Bitcoin network in a hostile fashion. Lack of support for the movement left it dead in the water.
Unfortunate(tm)

Reactions: CuriousTommy

optikalsaint

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not true, I recall XFX came out with a special custom card with no video outputs specifically for miners. Pretty sure it was based on an RX 480 8GB

Several cards based on the AMD RX architecture were announced but never made their way to the public. Those cards had the unfortunate side effect of being excellent for machine learning as well as mining so a lot of them were bought up wholesale last summer before they could ever make their way to the consumer markets

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can that Apple for that one. They bought up most of the chips that are used on ram for their stupid ass iPhone 8 and iPhone x. Newegg is selling some 32GB ddr4 2800 packs for $300 right now on ebay tho.

Yeah, well Apple can suck it for screwing it over for the rest of us.

Reactions: nero99

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)