Hardware The heck is going on with GPU sales?

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone is looking for a 1060 6GB that doesn't cost $500 or more, click on that ---> THIS is what I dug up on the US ebay.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah, well Apple can suck it for screwing it over for the rest of us.
It's sad that what once cost around $185-$250 now costs double and even triple those prices.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not really understanding this. Wouldn't it make less sense to mine now that the price is lower? If 1 BTC is $10,000, (and for the sake of argument, I'll use imaginary numbers) and it costs $100 on your electric bill to mine .01 Bitcoin, that means that you spend $100 to make $100. If Bitcoin were worth $20,000, spending the same money on electric would get you $200, or a 2x return on your money.
Assuming you can find enough buyers to convert the entirety of that one Bitcoin into a cash currency. Realistically, Bitcoin is just not that mainstream, so get ready to dive into the Deep Web to make your money.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone is looking for a 1060 6GB that doesn't cost $500 or more, click on that ---> THIS is what I dug up on the US ebay.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's sad that what once cost around $185-$250 now costs double and even triple those prices.

Yeah, well to them I say, F*ck Apple.

Reactions: nero99

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Several cards based on the AMD RX architecture were announced but never made their way to the public. Those cards had the unfortunate side effect of being excellent for machine learning as well as mining so a lot of them were bought up wholesale last summer before they could ever make their way to the consumer markets

Your wrong Asus makes them and you can find them on ebay for cheap

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/MINING-P106-6G/ for a 1060

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/MINING-RX470-4G/ for rx 470

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
How much money can you make with mining anyway? Obviously you would have to make an amount that covers the electricity cost and then some to make it profitable.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
How much money can you make with mining anyway? Obviously you would have to make an amount that covers the electricity cost and then some to make it profitable.
Unless your particular cryptocurrency spikes in value (seemingly for no reason), then you typically lose money on the mining process. Like the stock market it's speculative, essentially gambling. Last I heard, crypto is no longer considered legitimate currency in China, which was a huge blow to its overall value.

Reactions: WiiUBricker

LineoftheDead

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Newegg Canada has dropped nearly all 1070 Tis and only has a few of the 1070s and any 1080s, all of which are out of stock. Newegg USA still has a few, but they are now $900USD for a 1070 Ti when it used to be $700CAD in Canada...

And i thought cryptocurrencies were crashing? or is everyone planning to make money through transaction fees?
theres a store in my area flipping $200 retail for $600, its hilarious

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seeing 1060s for £350 to as much as £380 here. Pisstake, that was 1070 money a few months ago.

SSDs overpriced, ram overpriced, gpus overpriced. Feel bad for anyone who wants to build now, just no point. Carries on and pc gaming will go back to being for those with deep pockets only.

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
F330F292-7CB9-4EF0-B077-C0AD802117BF.png
this is whats happening.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Not a whole lot. It takes a while to get ROI (return of investment) after factoring in power costs (I think Linus Tech Tips said it would take them 7 months in their recent mining video, check it out if you want more info), and that's at current difficulty, which is always going up, so realistically it's going to take a lot longer than that. In the end most of your profit will probably be from the value going up, making it actually more profitable to invest in crypto rather than mining hardware. Mining is still profitable though.
Unless your particular cryptocurrency spikes in value (seemingly for no reason), then you typically lose money on the mining process. Like the stock market it's speculative, essentially gambling. Last I heard, crypto is no longer considered legitimate currency in China, which was a huge blow to its overall value.
Pretty sure that's wrong. If you mine the most profitable coin for your hardware at any given time, you'll make a profit assuming the value doesn't go down a lot, but it's not a huge one compared to the initial investment, it is basically free money though and once you have a mining rig set up all you really need to do is swap out the GPUs for new ones every now and then, and monitor the rig to make sure it's running like it should. Also you'll make back some money by selling off the old GPUs when they're no longer profitable.
View attachment 111691
this is whats happening.
They're going to have a terrible ROI time with all those 1080 Tis. They clearly have no idea what they're doing.
Seeing 1060s for £350 to as much as £380 here. Pisstake, that was 1070 money a few months ago.

SSDs overpriced, ram overpriced, gpus overpriced. Feel bad for anyone who wants to build now, just no point. Carries on and pc gaming will go back to being for those with deep pockets only.
Sucks to be me, I'm planning on building a new desktop within the next few months.
At least I'm planning on keeping my current GTX 970 for a while longer, but it's still gonna hurt my wallet

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure that's wrong. If you mine the most profitable coin for your hardware at any given time, you'll make a profit assuming the value doesn't go down a lot, but it's not a huge one compared to the initial investment, it is basically free money though and once you have a mining rig set up all you really need to do is swap out the GPUs for new ones every now and then, and monitor the rig to make sure it's running like it should. Also you'll make back some money by selling off the old GPUs when they're no longer profitable.
Very little of the expensive cryptocurrencies get released for mining any more, so you have to be extremely lucky on the timing for those.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.