The Nintendo Wii U turns 5 years old

IMG_5642.JPG

November 18, 2012 was a big day; Nintendo had just released its latest console onto the market. The Wii U was ready for the spotlight, armed with its tablet controller and exclusives like Nintendoland and New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo was ready to move into the "HD" era. Offering two variations, a white 8GB console that retailed for $299.99, and a 32GB black version, for $349.99. Bundled with it came the infamous Wii U tablet controller, Nintendoland, and the system itself. Those who purchased the console on launch also had access to third party ports and titles like Assassin's Creed III, Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition, and Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed. It was a modest lineup, and many people balked at the mildly outdated technology and few games offered. Nintendo had high hopes for its console, projecting sales of 90 million units.

The Wii U would go on to get mild third party support, with ports of games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate, and Mass Effect 3. Ubisoft had planned to really back the Wii U, but when sales weren't up to expectations, the publisher began to turn its back on the console, to the point of taking the then to-be Wii U exclusive Rayman Legends, and making it multiplatform. Competition from stronger consoles like the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 further hurt the Wii U, as customers weren't swayed to buy a weaker console with few exclusives. Nintendo looked to be in a bind--their 2013 lineup would be crucial if they wanted to turn around their low sales.

The following year brought a good chunk of games to the table. There was a mainline Mario game in the co-op focused platformer, Super Mario 3D World. A classic Zelda game from the GameCube era got a fresh coat of high def paint with Wind Waker HD. Pikmin 3 hit store shelves to moderate praise, and SEGA signed a contract with Nintendo to create three Sonic games for the Wii U, one of which being Sonic Lost World. However, it wasn't enough. Sales foundered, and the Wii U continued being ridiculed by many.

2014 was certainly a turnaround year for the system. Nintendo came out of the gate strong; their highly anticipated Super Smash Bros. title was released after years of teasing. SEGA had given an unlikely sequel in the form of Bayonetta 2. In-house studio Retro put out what was considered one of the best platformers in years: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Nintendo fans cheered as a new Mario Kart game finally revved into full gear. An even more unlikely alliance occurred when Koei Tecmo and Nintendo partnered to create Hyrule Warriors. Nintendo Nindies was established to give indie devs incentive to put their games on the console, which resulted in beloved games like Shovel Knight, Freedom Planet, and Shantae. Things were looking much brighter for the Wii U.

2015 kept up the pace with a sequel to a well established Wii RPG, Xenoblade Chronicles X, had an overnight success with the creative online shooter Splatoon, and had even more success with Mario Maker. In the end, though, all these games were not enough to save the Wii U from selling abysmally. With the aforementioned library, it has a solid amount of cult classics, well enough to be remembered for years after. Nintendo however, would halt production on the Wii U before the system could have a 5th birthday. Today, the Wii U turns five years old. Though the Switch now overshadows it, the Wii U still made an impact.

What are your fondest memories of the Wii U? Were you a fan? Did you dislike it? Are you yet to purchase one at all, or were you a loyal early adopter? Be sure you share your comments below!

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought it late into its life cycle, like summer of 2016, so my experience with it was great since it already had a lot of really great first oarty titles like 3d world, bayo 2, pikmig 3, dk tropical freeze, w101, smash wii u, and splatoon, I dont regret my purchase at all. Plus I skipped out on the wii bc I didnt have enough money back then so I also got the chance to play the entire wii library so thats great too, and even now I still use my wii u every now and then to play ds games on loadiine. The gamepad was super comfortable for me and I do miss having two screens for things like splatoon. So yeah I liked the wii u a lot

Last edited by Eddypikachu,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: WhiteMaze

RowanDDR

SNES Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
i love wii u because also can play wii games.

With Nintendon't via the vWii you can play GC games too. So let's hand it to the Wii U, it's good bang for buck that this console can play GC, Wii, and Wii U games... plus tons of other older systems via Retroarch of course.

Last edited by RowanDDR,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, yeah... I always appear late to the party compared to the rest of the world, but at least I'm not in Alaska or Hawaii. They're both dead-last.
Alaska is probly the best states in usa.
But its just the point of view of a quebecois

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
While I agree that the Wii U couldn't compete with MS and Sony, I honestly enjoyed it a whole lot more than the Wii.

I mean, what killer titles did the Wii have? Two 3D Mario games, one 2D Mario game, Metroid Prime 3, Smash, Mario Kart, Xenoblade, Donkey Kong Country and one of the least appreciated Zelda games since Zelda II. To me the Wii was more of a party console with outdated technology (not even HDMI...) which I rarely used for "core gaming". It even made me buy my first non-Nintendo console, an Xbox 360.

The Wii U also had entries of all the series above except for Metroid (well, there's Axiom Verge, though) and most of them were superior (Okay I'm not talking about Galaxy, of course).

All in all the Wii U re-introduced me to Nintendo gaming and my stack of cool games in blue cases is far bigger than the white one. The amount of high quality "Nindies" is a plus too!

So yeah, while I own a Switch, my Wii U still keeps me busy and my Wii keeps collecting dust.

Last edited by bjaxx87,

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Still playing Wii and Wii U regularly. And I have no interest in the Switch so far. I'm also very disappointed that they let the Wiimote pointer go. Pointing on the switch is problematic without a sensor bar (see World of Goo).

nashismo

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The WiiU was great! Specially modded. But it depends on the person.

Even though it is the most amazing retro gaming console (Gamecube, DS, Wii, WiiU, VC games, etc) it just not worth it for some people. Why? Because for example, in my case, I can emulate ALL those game on my PC already! So, it becomes redundant!

If you don't have a good PC, (you have a shitty laptop, etc) I think is an amazing console if not the BEST emulato/retro gaming console out there.

Personally I sold it off, and bought myself an i7 6700 :) with the money I got from it! hehehe. Cemu runs great now! Hahahah

wafflestick

(insert title here)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bought it, played Bayonetta 2, sold it the next month and That's pretty much it. Kinda want one again for smash, Xenoblade x, and some Mario though

Jarmenti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bought my wii U Mario Kart bundle back when that launched (2014 i think). After playing the hell out of MK it sat for a while, then the mod scene started getting good w/ Loadiine etc... as it is today I can't say I regret my purchase, especially how the mod scene is now, with Gamecube injects retroarch, and all that good stuff! I still laugh when people come by and ask what the hell system that is.... talk about a marketing failure. Most people think its pretty darn cool after playing it!

Last edited by Jarmenti,

Nalaflow3rs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I skipped the Wii U entirely. I only played it with my brother to play Mario Kart and Sm4sh. Super Mario 3D World I played on CEMU. It was and still is Nintendo's worst console to date. Not even subjectively. It tanked, and for good reason. The infamous tablet was a BAD attempt at bringing Dual Screen to the home console. Believe it or not, I believe the Switch is what the Wii U should have been.. Minus the lack of the extra screen.

Totally agree, Wii U could of been a great console but it was just wasted potential =3= Did have some great games and ports tho I might add! o:

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I liked the wii u. Shame the third partied never actually tried. When gamestop starts selling Wii U games for 50% off and d 70% off like they did for gamecube games im going to try to collect as many as i can. I was able to get a Wii U kiosk and a Amiibo kiosk from the wii u gen. Anything wii U will be rare in 10 years. Do you find any turbo graphics cd games in thrift stores? Nope it will be like that, where its online and expensive. I need to get a White Wii u for my Kiosk or a Kiosk Wii U....

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Shame the third partied never actually tried.

Is it the responsibility (or good business sense) of the third parties to try or does Nintendo have to incentivise such things to happen? They seemed somewhat light on the latter, almost like it was the 8 and 16 bit days and it was still a privilege to work with them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyBmc3-J5AM