Tutorial  Updated

The REAL guide to buying DS, DSi, and 3DS flashcarts (flowchart)

I saw someone made a different guide. His/hers was bad. Here's my attempt!

DS Flowchart.png

Red is endpoints
DS Flowchart.png

Last edited by Mikemk,

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
A little. Same with every other cartridge, even official ones.

Same as 1)

Same

Yes

I've done some testing on my own, and found:
Playing a 3DS game, the r4i lasts 4 hours, DS2 4 hours, and nothing about 4 ½ hours
Playing a NDS game, the r4i lasts 8 hours, DS2 about 14, and I haven't tested an official cart

In any case, my DS2 is, um, stuck in the cartridge slot and can't be pulled out. So I can't really do further testing.

So basically just being in the slot not doing anything the R4i and DSTwo are basically the same.

Does the DSTwo get hot in your experience like it does for the previous poster?

Getting stuck in the slot is pretty bad, though! That's not happened with mine, but I never use mine in my 3DS. It stays in my DSi XL, which can't play GBA otherwise.

I'm shocked that you get 14 hours of play time with an NDS game. That's almost like sleep mode. And the R4i is half that?

Mikemk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um, I don't do that. Don't know, sorry.

I assume it would be similar proportions, but the difference should in theory be less.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do not need Sudoku to use a CycloDS iEvolution.

Also, there are arrows from the a9lh section that point back to the other sections. This is bad. It leads the chart to tell you that if you have a9lh, after following several arrows, you can get an EZ Flash for GBA games (in fact you can't even put it into a 3DS), or that you need a r4i or Supercard for DS roms (no, because the custom firmware unblocks older flashcards).

Furthermore, the system firmware 11.0 requiring a second 3DS is partly obsolete because of slowhax, and the chart doesn't mention the other requirements (such as having a DSiware game and a homebrew entry point).

Also, consider the Everdrive GBA, although it is expensive.

Mikemk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do not need Sudoku to use a CycloDS iEvolution.
Will fix soon

Also, there are arrows from the a9lh section that point back to the other sections. This is bad. It leads the chart to tell you that if you have a9lh, after following several arrows, you can get an EZ Flash for GBA games (in fact you can't even put it into a 3DS), or that you need a r4i or Supercard for DS roms (no, because the custom firmware unblocks older flashcards).
I agree regarding the EZ Flash, will fix soon. Regarding the arrow going back, the only arrow going back is after the Sky3DS, for people who can't use CFW.

Furthermore, the system firmware 11.0 requiring a second 3DS is partly obsolete because of slowhax, and the chart doesn't mention the other requirements (such as having a DSiware game and a homebrew entry point).
It does address slowhax (Separate 11.0/11.2 checks). I may or may not note the DSiWare game and entrypoint, since this guide focuses on flashcarts, and the 3ds.guide link will cover other requirements.

Also, consider the Everdrive GBA, although it is expensive.
I did consider it. I decided that adding it would mean I'd have to add a GBA section, and decided against it to prevent feature creep. I may still add it depending on TempGBA compatibility.

D

Deleted User

image.jpg
I ended up buying this one from amazon.It should work fine,I just need a micro sd card for it unless I can run the backups from the 3ds's sd card using twl loader

Mikemk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do all this work making a chart, and people still buy those. Those are r4i Gold 3DS clones with expiration dates.

HomebrewJay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw someone made a different guide. His/hers was bad. Here's my attempt!

View attachment 72055
Red is endpoints
Wow, thanks for this!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Re: DSTWO Battery Life:

The DSTWO gets noticibly warm when the system is in the 3DS or DSi menu or playing 3DS or DSiWare games, hence the low battery life and why I don't recommend it for 3DS users.
Thanks for the heads up. The DSTWO was (one of) my first options.

SSG Vegeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own a DS2 flashcard & use the gba emulator all the time it doesn't draw too much battery.Just enable power save in your 3DS' menu options.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You should include a warning regarding the ievo. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't support pokemon black/white 2, you don't need sudokuhax for it but it only works up to dsi version 1.4.3 in dsi mode and 1.4.2 in ds mode.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning