• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The state of American journalism

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I have the strangest feeling that you're going to be on your death bed and still screeching to your family about Trump's dementia or something irrelevant like that. You don't seem all that concerned about the numerous times Obama or any other president stuttered a fuck ton without their teleprompter. This sounds like the definition of a reach.
You think he'd be screaming "shithole countries" in front of Democrats who can verify it if he wasn't starting to slip? Then there was that whole "clean DACA bill" thing that he almost accepted just because it had the word "clean" in front. It was the same bill.

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/ne4qq7/trump-randomly-agrees-to-a-clean-daca-bill

Now, Trump hasn't been the brightest guy from the start of his campaign, but you have to admit the gaffes are getting more frequent if nothing else. This is way worse than GWB, let alone Obama.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
"hey bro would you be agreeable to a clean version of this bill?"
"yeah sure"
"GUYS TRUMP IS CONFIRMED DEMENTIA IT'S HAPPENING GUYS I SEE IT"
lmao holy fuck
Yeah just childishly paraphrase and ignore my other comments because you have no valid counter-argument. Cute. Isn't it nap time yet?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're over simplifying it. A forklift driver from 30 year ago couldn't function a modern lift. Modern cranes have computers in them. It's still labeled as the same job, but it is not done the same way. You could not hop online in 1985 and find 20 guys on GBAtemp to argue with you, and 20 more to think you're a genius. Times change, people change, industries change. You cannot compare the past to the present equally and expect direct comparisons. How much info on any given news story can you find from your phone right now? 10 years ago? 20?
But a forklift and writing a journalism piece are incomparable. After all, they're two different jobs. That's what you've said in your own words. No one is saying there are "direct comparisons" here and you're the only person who's been arguing against them. What I'm saying is that standards and journalistic integrity have clearly begun to fall.

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But a forklift and writing a journalism piece are incomparable. After all, they're two different jobs. That's what you've said in your own words. No one is saying there are "direct comparisons" here and you're the only person who's been arguing against them. What I'm saying is that standards and journalistic integrity have clearly begun to fall.

And I am saying only because it's a different job where people are held to different standards than in the past. Integrity is easy to maintain when people respect, your words, and your job, and see you on TV for 5 minutes a day. It's a lot harder with a thankless job that anyone at all can fact check and argue with you on, and can now know what you're doing 24/7 thanks to the internet. I wasn't comparing Construction to journalism. I was comparing any job, and its abilities to perform, or "integrity" that goes with it. Those things are in constant flux. "Kids these days have no respect." "Young people have no integrity" "Ah, the good ol days!" These statements are all a matter of seeing the past for more than it was, and it is said in every generation.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I am saying only because it's a different job where people are held to different standards than in the past. Integrity is easy to maintain when people respect, your words, and your job, and see you on TV for 5 minutes a day. It's a lot harder with a thankless job that anyone at all can fact check and argue with you on, and can now know what you're doing 24/7 thanks to the internet. I wasn't comparing Construction to journalism. I was comparing any job, and its abilities to perform, or "integrity" that goes with it. Those things are in constant flux. "Kids these days have no respect." "Young people have no integrity" "Ah, the good ol days!" These statements are all a matter of seeing the past for more than it was, and it is said in every generation.
If a journalism site publishes some shit that wouldn't even be allowed on a tabloid, and you look and find that didn't happen as often in the past as it does now, congrats, that's a comparison to be made. You're being as obtuse as possible to shield journalism from criticism and it isn't working.

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a journalism site publishes some shit that wouldn't even be allowed on a tabloid, and you look and find that didn't happen as often in the past as it does now, congrats, that's a comparison to be made. You're being as obtuse as possible to shield journalism from criticism and it isn't working.

As opposed to those who had on the front page of the Newspaper that Truman had lost the presidency? It's not obtuse to see a finite market that was difficult to do, turn into something that is over-saturated and any desk jockey with a $20 phone can fake. Journalistic integrity being crap, and fake news being reported are not new. They are just easier to find, and there is a much larger sample size. The "decline" in morals and standards is all just a matter of having a lot more information thrown at us that happens to conflict.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
no he does have a point, journalism is awash with 2 bit hacks, and unfortunately idiots buy into stories from random nobodies because they got an unpaid internship at a once reputable newspaper

journalist used to be a skilled profession, now its a monkey with a typewriter job because they only care about quantity over quality....as is the way of the internet

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As opposed to those who had on the front page of the Newspaper that Truman had lost the presidency? It's not obtuse to see a finite market that was difficult to do, turn into something that is over-saturated and any desk jockey with a $20 phone can fake. Journalistic integrity being crap, and fake news being reported are not new. They are just easier to find, and there is a much larger sample size. The "decline" in morals and standards is all just a matter of having a lot more information thrown at us that happens to conflict.
So if you admit they are easier to find, and that there are more examples of it being low quality, how exactly is that incomparable? It sounds like you don't understand what you're arguing because every argument you make keeps going against your point.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
So if you admit they are easier to find, and that there are more examples of it being low quality, how exactly is that incomparable? It sounds like you don't understand what you're arguing because every argument you make keeps going against your point.
your arguing the same point from a different angle, you say journalism is worse, his argument is that it was always bad, it just used to be that the idiots wouldn't get any exposure.....both statements are kinda true, its just the semantics of it

Reactions: GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

LoL, No, it makes my argument for me. Sorry you don't see it, but I am pretty sure that arguing with you is not going to accomplish a thing. You are stuck with what you believe, and don't seem open to anyone's opinion but your own. That is fine. Everyone has an opinion and a right to be as stubborn about maintaining it as they like. I have no issues with you, or your mindset. I just happen to disagree with you.

EDIT:
@gamesquest1 More that saying the modern way of things makes it hard or even impossible to compare the number of good to bad to what used to be. But close enough. :) Yes there have always been crap journalists. No I don't know if that percentage is notably higher or lower now than in the past. No one does for sure, thus my points.

Last edited by GreatCrippler,
Reactions: gamesquest1

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Regardless of your view of the current US President, I have to ask, what is going on with this country's news/journalism?

RuZgwto.png

We're reaching some sort of journalistic critical mass of stupidity. Walter Cronkite is probably rolling over in his grave in shame. Let's be real, though--Fox News has always been slanted, and there's always been clickbait headlines since the dawn of newspapers. I'm not saying journalism used to be perfect, but there is a clear and definite decline in the quality of the industry. Newsrooms are disregarding stories that might actually matter to the American public, in favor of debating if Trump said a swear word during a meeting. "My source said he did!" "My source said he didn't!!", and apparently this oh so important piece of news is dominating every other article and headline for the week. If you thought Trump was racist to begin with, and did indeed say it, or if you think Trump isn't racist and didn't say it, your opinion won't be swayed. Because all these stories boil down to "he said she said" hearsay, and not actual facts.

What's the number 2 story of the day? Oprah rumors of becoming president. Oh yes, you heard it right, the second biggest hit of the day is yet another celebrity potentially running for office. I didn't think 2016's election could be outclassed further in ridiculousity of candidates, but we're setting ourselves up for further madness.

If you stop looking at American news sites like CNN/Fox/NY Times/WaPost/etc, and go on over to BBC, you see the same news story, reported on one singular article. They discuss the context of what Trump's words are, if true, the comments of the people involved, the reaction of other countries, and how news sites reacted to the story. It didn't have anything sensationalist, nor did it really boast a title that stood out compared to the other sites. It mostly relied on...surprise; just reporting the story as it happened. Their front page also has much more variety than the previously mentioned websites. I'm not someone who's read much BBC in the past, so perhaps this is just an outlier, but from just researching their content for the sake of this thread, it's leagues above everything else I've read so far, and actually, shockingly, feels like what journalism should be. Why aren't more sites like this?

This thread was just the ramblings off the top of my head, and really doesn't have a point, and I apologize if my words are disjointed--I just felt like discussing the absolute, blithering, pandering news outlets, and how there's been a huge flip on how Americans process their news. Are we more focused on news as a whole? Yeah, we can't go 2 minutes without hearing about Trump--but what of the quality? Just because we're paying attention to news more doesn't mean the actual news we consume is quality content. Also, I just wanted to find a reason to make a thread in this new section ;O;

I'm shocked and appalled that you listed FOX as a news site :)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's all take like five steps back and breathe, this is getting ridiculous

Besides, I hate giving Trump the benefit of the doubt of dementia because that gives him an excuse. The problem isn't dementia as far as I can tell, it's just that he has no idea what the hell he's doing and he's WAY too easily influenced by the morning news cycle

Reactions: HaloEliteLegend

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Besides, I hate giving Trump the benefit of the doubt of dementia because that gives him an excuse. The problem isn't dementia as far as I can tell, it's just that he has no idea what the hell he's doing and he's WAY too easily influenced by the morning news cycle
It's both. Here's Trump wandering away from his limo, which is parked 5-10 feet from the edge of the plane's staircase (footage courtesy of Fox affiliate):

Last edited by Xzi,

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not surprised that the left has brought up the presidency of Donald Trump. Your opinion of the current president is irrelevant to the matter at hand. Both American media outlets on the left and right have issues that need to be resolved.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Not surprised that the left has brought up the presidency of Donald Trump. Your opinion of the current president is irrelevant to the matter at hand. Both American media outlets on the left and right have issues that need to be resolved.
The left addresses their criticisms and attempts to adapt, the right denies all issues with their people altogether. Courtesy of MaverickWellington we know that celebrities shouldn't be president, because they lack the necessary legislative/governing experience. You'll keep denying anything bad about Trump and blaming his failures on Democrats who control nothing right now. It doesn't matter, because the mid-terms are coming, and we'll see how the people respond to a party with no sense of of self-responsibility.

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The left addresses their criticisms and attempts to adapt, the right denies all issues with their people altogether. Courtesy of MaverickWellington we know that celebrities shouldn't be president, because they lack the necessary legislative/governing experience. You'll keep denying anything bad about Trump and blaming his failures on Democrats who control nothing right now. It doesn't matter, because the mid-terms are coming, and we'll see how the people respond to a party with no sense of of self-responsibility.
Who said I supported Trump? Just because I don't like liberals, it doesn't make me a conservative.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who said I supported Trump? Just because I don't like liberals, it doesn't make me a conservative.
Notice that he name dropped me, he's convinced I'm some alt-right neo nazi because I said I don't support the modern media and it's nonsense. You're really better off ignoring X(na)zi since 95% of his posts are him irrelevantly whining about Trump and then just doing dumb "us vs them" shit towards Republicans.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

Mate, you just described a huge chunk of the voting age.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning