Homebrew Theoretical DSi software installation without DSi Shop

ScottBeebiWan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I just thought of a way to install Flipnote for CFW on a S T O C K (no DSiShop account, wiped system memory) DSi.
I thought of this primarily because i'm a stupid idiot who is smart but also a retard and I want CFW on my brand new DSi (i've had Flipnote, but on a DSi that broke and I threw away) even though I have a Luma'd O3DS.
Is it possible to do the following:

1. Install a Flipnote Studio CIA with FBI to a CFW'd 3DS,
  2. Copy the DSi .bin to the (micro)SD Card with System Settings/Data Management/DSiWare,
  3. Copy from 3DS (micro)SD Card,
  4. Decrypt to .nds,
  5. Get the DSi's encryption key via built-in software, a software flaw, or manage to get it through NDS Homebrew on a flashcart,
  6. Re-encrypt it to .bin using said encryption key,
  7. Copy to DSi SD, and
  8. Copy to System Memory via System Settings/Data Management on the DSi?
Anyone who says wether it's possible or not should be assuming there is NO DSiWare stored on the DSi, and there isn't any way to get DSiWare on other than this theoretical, etc.

Reactions: Deleted User

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Not modified DSiWare, in this case I mean real, actual, DSiWare, from ninnteo incorporatompanization:tm:
If you're talking about just throwing a TAD into the sd card and importing it, you're damn sure talking about modified.
Wouldn't even begin to work anyway as you don't have a ticket for the software.

It's obvious you're trolling given the silly intentional misspellings, so whatever.

ScottBeebiWan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're talking about just throwing a TAD into the sd card and importing it, you're damn sure talking about modified.
Wouldn't even begin to work anyway as you don't have a ticket for the software.

It's obvious you're trolling given the silly intentional misspellings, so whatever.
I'm not trolling, but that is silly and intentional of a misspelling.
Wym a "TAD"?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
TAD is like what WAD is for wii and wiiU. Something along the lines of TWL application
Correct!

However, unlike its relatives and successors:
- the DSi doesn't have a real operating system (WiiU/3DS),not even a kernel (Wii),
- unlike those 3 consoles it doesn't have an installed title database that must be filled in (as proven by the viability of "just copy contents, tmd, and ticket in the right format in the right folders")
- unlike 3DS, the scene didn't start with the ability to run a dev to retail port of the official Nintendo package installer

These facts imply there's little advantage to stick with the official format, so the scene rolled their own TIA format, which is an open standard and arguably simpler to develop tools (packager, installer, ...) for*

And to add to the confusion, gbatek calls "Tad" the encrypted content.bin exported via system settings (see step 2 of the OP)

* but what the audience will be, if there's no free 5 clicks or less free piracy for free and free autobooting free cfw on every console, and TIA may end up as a minority format anyway? ¬

¬ This is actually one thing I find amazing about the DSi scene - granted, the above stated goal hasn't been reached yet, but it still feels like it has more steam than the WiiU one

Deleted member 424658

Annoying Weaboo Girl
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
¬ This is actually one thing I find amazing about the DSi scene - granted, the above stated goal hasn't been reached yet, but it still feels like it has more steam than the WiiU one
How? The DSi scene is pretty much just people complaining over no RocketLauncher or Ugopwn EUR support.

Reactions: siamese

Deleted member 424658

Annoying Weaboo Girl
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
You compare end users to developpers.
That's not how it should be :)
As far as stuff developers made that is accessible: DS games from SD Card with broken sound, a port of nesDS, NAND modification from console that no one seems to do anything with, and a "region-locked" exploit.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How? The DSi scene is pretty much just people complaining over no RocketLauncher or Ugopwn EUR support.
Draw a graph showing " arbitrary units representing progress/appreciation, of the combination of available to the public: piracy of physical games, of digital games, arbitrary code execution, stuff installed on the home screen, number of supported and released CFWs with meaningful patches, number of usable exploits, coldboot exploit, and stuff" over "time since launch"

DSi doesn't win at all on the basis of "total number of hacking" but it beats probably 3DS, certainly WiiU/DS/PSP in the rate of climb [Switch may win if that modchip delivers?], no thanks to the abandonment of the iEvolution...

Sure, WiiU had good developments too - viable hardmod restores and enhanced Vwii conversions, and 3DS had a lot more in 2016, but you get the idea: most people [out of a conveniently picked 300] got from zero DSiware to 30% [mass guessed number representing releases of their region] in less than a year

Sure, Apache could have released rocketlauncher as is (with instructions on how to manually install it...) and left others to write a polished guide and automation, but who am I to dictate on others?

I believe Wii U uses WUD.
WUD = WiiU "ISO" = full bluray image (ISO would have been a wrong name, despite this confusion being common, since the filesystem is not ISO9660 or one of its extensions, and it might be not a single data track)

WUX = trimmed WUD

WUMAD = official bluray image format (not sure if there are any differences with one of the above)

Applications are installed, with both official and unofficial tools, from a multi-.app file format (unofficially called the NUS format since they're also used for eShop) plus ticket/tmd/.h3 hashes

Deleted member 424658

Annoying Weaboo Girl
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
Draw a graph showing " arbitrary units representing progress/appreciation, of the combination of available to the public: piracy of physical games, of digital games, arbitrary code execution, stuff installed on the home screen, number of supported and released CFWs with meaningful patches, number of usable exploits, coldboot exploit, and stuff" over "time since launch"

DSi doesn't win at all on the basis of "total number of hacking" but it beats probably 3DS, certainly WiiU/DS/PSP in the rate of climb [Switch may win if that modchip delivers?], no thanks to the abandonment of the iEvolution...

Sure, WiiU had good developments too - viable hardmod restores and enhanced Vwii conversions, and 3DS had a lot more in 2016, but you get the idea: most people [out of a conveniently picked 300] got from zero DSiware to 30% [mass guessed number representing releases of their region] in less than a year

Sure, Apache could have released rocketlauncher as is (with instructions on how to manually install it...) and left others to write a polished guide and automation, but who am I to dictate on others?
1. I'm probably not skilled enough to find the data for graphs like that.
2. I'm really not understanding what you mean by "rate of climb." If you mean CFW installs then you're surely wrong as there's no CFW. If you mean advancements in the DSi scene over the time the console released, then it's still nowhere near close to being more than 3DS. I'm sure even Wii U beats it in advancements.
3. 3DS has had plenty of work over the years. Found a hacking history timeline https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-hacking-scene-history.443396/#post-6713845
4. Something about not wanting people to brick, which is honestly ridiculous as if you're hacking a console you should expect the possibility of a brick, and not wanting to test the released tools that (potentially) minimalizes brick rates because he doesn't have a hardmod.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

WUD = WiiU "ISO" = full bluray image (ISO would have been a wrong name, despite this confusion being common, since the filesystem is not ISO9660 or one of its extensions, and it might be not a single data track)

WUX = trimmed WUD

WUMAD = official bluray image format (not sure if there are any differences with one of the above)

Applications are installed, with both official and unofficial tools, from a multi-.app file format (unofficially called the NUS format since they're also used for eShop) plus ticket/tmd/.h3 hashes
Multi-.app, huh? Sounds a lot like the 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I hate these DIY furniture kits so bad