Hacking Thinkin' about buying a PSP for Homebrew...

ToonGoomba

Sarcastic Super Star
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been a Nintendo only player for as long as I can remember, and I have a CFW'd New 3DS that I use very often, but uh...I've seen some PSP Homebrew capabilities, and now I'm thinking about getting a PSP now. What model should I get? I heard there are different models, so which one is best for Homebrew? Or should I just get a Vita? (It feels so weird thinking about this, as i'm a Nintendo only guy)

tedmg091309131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you get the psvita you can use psvita and psp homebrew on it. If you get the psp you can only use psp homebrew on it. I recommend the psvita if you can get one on 3.60 or below.

Last edited by tedmg091309131,

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend psp 1000 so that you can have a permanent hack. Further, it takes like 5 seconds to hack this thing.

You can get any model though - they are all hackable and very easily. If you get above psp 1000 you will most likely have to run an exploit every time you load, but this takes 2 seconds so it shouldn't discourage you from getting a different model very much. (not to mention you can just put it into sleep when you aren't using it - thus avoiding this inconvenience entirely)

Have fun with it and let me know if you have any other questions. You can usually get a psp from a pawn shop for $30-$40 or on ebay for about the same price.

ShroomKing

Somebody
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a psp 2000 lying around, unfortunately the screen stopped working. i really liked using it for psx games and emulators.

i also have a vita, honestly i'd say get a vita on or below firmware 3.60 and install HENkaku on it, cuz essentially you can have a cfw 6.61 psp on your vita with the vsh and everything, which you can use to play psp/psx games and homebrew. (there's also patches to allow using the right analog stick for some games)

additionally you will be able to run vita native games, homebrew and plugins.

the only downside is that you can't download stuff from the psn or play higher firmware games, but playing online and remoteplay works just fine.

apparently there's a plugin going to be released around christmas which will bring back the activation/downloading from psn.

but there are other ways to get games anyway >.>

Last edited by ShroomKing,

ToonGoomba

Sarcastic Super Star
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend psp 1000 so that you can have a permanent hack. Further, it takes like 5 seconds to hack this thing.

You can get any model though - they are all hackable and very easily. If you get above psp 1000 you will most likely have to run an exploit every time you load, but this takes 2 seconds so it shouldn't discourage you from getting a different model very much. (not to mention you can just put it into sleep when you aren't using it - thus avoiding this inconvenience entirely)

Have fun with it and let me know if you have any other questions. You can usually get a psp from a pawn shop for $30-$40 or on ebay for about the same price.
The 1000 is the bulky one, right?

Reactions: x65943

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
I recommend the 3000 model, mostly for the much better screen, but also for the lighter weight. It can only install liteCFW, which is temporary until the console is powered off, but it's no less capable than permanent firmware, and reinstallation is as easy as running an app in the "game" menu and takes just 3 seconds. After playing on the 3000's screen, it's really hard for me to go back. It's quite the difference, and with how cheap all the models are, I'd definitely say pick up the 3000.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
I'd recommend against a Vita, at least if you're looking to play PSP games specifically. I haven't actually taken measurements of it, but the Vita's emulation of PSP titles feels off to me. I think it has some sort of variable input lag, but again, I haven't actually taken the time to investigate.

That being said, I do recommend the Vita as an overall unit. I've put a lot of hours into mine, despite having very few games for it, and the hacking side of it is fairly comprehensive.

Reactions: zubz19 and x65943

ToonGoomba

Sarcastic Super Star
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd recommend against a Vita, at least if you're looking to play PSP games specifically. I haven't actually taken measurements of it, but the Vita's emulation of PSP titles feels off to me. I think it has some sort of variable input lag, but again, I haven't actually taken the time to investigate.

That being said, I do recommend the Vita as an overall unit. I've put a lot of hours into mine, despite having very few games for it, and the hacking side of it is fairly comprehensive.
I've looked into PSVita games, but they dont really pop out to me. PSP games are way more diverse, and i'm surprised some games are just like home console versions

D

Deleted User

I've looked into PSVita games, but they dont really pop out to me. PSP games are way more diverse, and i'm surprised some games are just like home console versions
The only reason I could see to get a vita is if you want to play persona 4 golden,otherwise get a psp since its cheaper.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: DarthDub

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can get PSP's with CFW already installed and ready from Ebay for the same price as a non-CFW PSP, it's what I did, saves the hassle of putting the CFW on yourself.
It literally takes 2 seconds so either way it's the same. Only exception is if they send it to you on a really old hacked fw and then you have to spend hours updating.

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
I recommend the 3000 model, mostly for the much better screen, but also for the lighter weight. It can only install liteCFW, which is temporary until the console is powered off, but it's no less capable than permanent firmware, and reinstallation is as easy as running an app in the "game" menu and takes just 3 seconds. After playing on the 3000's screen, it's really hard for me to go back. It's quite the difference, and with how cheap all the models are, I'd definitely say pick up the 3000.
Or just use sleep mode instead of turning it off completely.

tedmg091309131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot to mention that due to the touchscreen on the back of the psvita you can have more buttons. Such as more than 1 left and right shoulder button in psvita mode.

Last edited by tedmg091309131,

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
psp 1000-2000-3000-go all can have permanent CFW on 6.20 pro-c. there's literally no reason to go past that. it takes 5 minutes start to finish, and 3 of that is downloading the software

been rocking that on my 3 psp's for years now, it's super stable and everything works

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.