Hardware Thoughts on the wii u?

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Guys,

I recently picked up a refurbished wii from gamestop and I'm really enjoying it. That said I've been looking at the wii u, how do people who own it find it? is there enough fun to keep you occupied? I figured id get the splatoon for sure and from there smash bros wii u

Reactions: BORTZ

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii has a LOT of games if you dig deep into the library (people underestimate how fun the Wii can be) but the Wii-U I have trouble justifying it's purchase.... If you can get it cheap enough then you can at least also use it as a Wii...

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one and I pledge to finish at least most of the games I own before picked up a Switch. And I do love it every time I boot it up.
-SSMBrUthers
-Bayonetta 1/2 (mostly 2 because it wouldnt exist without nintendo picking it up)
-Pikmin 3
-Wonderful 101
-Xenoblade Chronicles X
-Devil's Third (yeah i know but I like it lol)
-Tokyo Mirage Sessions #Fire Emblem

And more.

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The potential to play all GC (Thanks to nintendont), Wii and Wii U games natively from one device is really great about it imo.
It is a shame that the disc drive doesn't accept GC discs so I have to use a friend's Wii to make backups of them.
Injecting games takes a lot of time though, so I haven't moved all my GC and Wii discs to Wii U channels.

And while the Wii U had not that many games, a lot of them are really good.
My list is nearly identical to the one of @BORTZ , Mario 3D World was also pretty good, especially the multiplayer and by forcing the player to collect a certain number of stars you see more of the hard work they put into the game.

Mario Kart 8 is imo the best Mario Kart since Double Dash as Mario Kart Wii was just a mess regarding the drifting and the amount of items. It is not that easy to start a new race online than to start a round of Sm4sh, so I don't play it that much anymore.

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go with the Wii U, itt has vWii which is exactly like the original Wii except for the various channels which don't exist on it (Internet, News, etc. because it already exist in Wii U Mode). If you want to boot the Wii Mode just hold B while the Wii U is turning on. Also, the Wii U has a Quick Start Menu so it's really easy to boot a game quickly. The Wii U Homebrew setup process will take no more than 1 hour.

If it's on 5.5.1 or lower, then it's really easy, all you have to do is:
Go to http://loadiine.ovh
Run Homebrew App Store Installer
Once it launches download Homebrew Launcher
Press the HOME Button
Now you have homebrew installed, no computer!

If you have 5.5.2 then it will be harder.

You can run Wii U ROMs in Loadiine GX2, GC games in Nintendont and Wii games in a VC game with Wii VC injection.

Last edited by aykay55,

WARlord1903

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U has an incredibly small but nonetheless good library, however, I'd recommend just going with the Switch at this point unless you want emulators, which a normal Wii can do just fine.

rickwj324

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've owned pretty much every game console (dating back to the 70's when I was a kid). The Wii-U is a great system. I have all of my GC, Wii, and Wii-U games on it as well as other emulators. Such a cool system when it's opened up to its full potential!! :)

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
If you like Nintendo games, then Wii U is the best console Nintendo has ever made. When it's hacked, you can play just about every game Nintendo has ever made over the past 30 years. It also plays Breath of The Wild, which is arguably the best game on the Switch right now. Wii U is the best, and most flexible Nintendo Console there is. Ditch your Wii and get the Wii U.

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DISCLAIMER: I do not mean to offend anyone religiously by this post. Please do not hate me.

Nintendo, Book of Reggie, 22:36

“Then he said to them, "But now, whoever has a money bag must take it, and likewise a pack. Whoever has none, must sell his console, and buy a Switch.”

WARlord1903

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DISCLAIMER: I do not mean to offend anyone religiously by this post. Please do not hate me.

Nintendo, Book of Reggie, 22:36

“Then he said to them, "But now, whoever has a money bag must take it, and likewise a pack. Whoever has none, must sell his console, and buy a Switch.”
T R I G E R R E D

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The wii u had potential that nintendo never did think to do. 3DS player, play 3DS games upscaled in 720P with both TV and gamepad (Should also support new 3DS games) As a game card reader on the system. That would have been great since the SD card is hardly used for the wii u system. There was always a way to play other portable games on consoles why not 3DS?

Most games don't seem to use gamepad as much as it was probably the marketing point of the system, and is used in some odd ways. Some games use either/or the gamepad or tv screen, some games just mirror images the same things. Some games you wish you could play with just one screen you need both. What the heck? :blink:

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If someone were to ask me which Nintendo console he or she should buy today, I would recommend the Wii U. It can play practically anything any of its predecessors can play, you get access to a great Wii U library of games, and the Switch's library is currently lacking, not to mention a lot of popular Switch titles (e.g. Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8) are largely Wii U ports. Combined with Wii U USB Helper, the Wii U is an awesome choice.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: rickwj324

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I didn't buy the Wii U until Christmas last year... but it was so worth it to me. If I had bought it at launch, I guarantee I'd feel the complete opposite, but buying it now with the backlog it has? It's a no-brainer, as far as I'm concerned. The system is flawed and slow in the UI and such, but it's a good console.

I highly recommend getting the separate, bigger battery pack for the gamepad though. The battery inside that thing just doesn't last long enough. A pro controller is also a good idea... if you can find an authentic one somewhere. I'm still trying to get ahold of one for a reasonable price...

ferdi-t

Trophies
Website
ferdi-t.hyves.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I recently rejuvinated mine by softmodding and installing tons of games. Have been playing it ever since with my two daughters.

Go figure: I bought the Switch this week, but the WiiU beats it in terms of hours of gameplay this holiday. It's such an amazing family-thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1