OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Tomee vs Retrolink SNES USB Controller Review

It's a boring Saturday afternoon. You laze about, thinking of days past. Back to the time of Donkey Kong Country, Starfox and Super Mario All Stars. If only you still had your SNES... But wait! You remember that there are emulators for those games. After downloading the proper files, you set to relieve the glory days of 2d gaming. Yet something feels odd. I mean sure, it's on a PC and you are using a LCD screen. So it won't be the perfect setup, but it's not that. It's the controls. That old trusty mouse and keyboard just won't cut it this time. What about that Xbox 360 controller? Yea, lets try that out. Oh wait, it has that horrid d-pad. This will not do at all. It does have a analog stick on it, but that just won't be the same.

Hark! What's this you're reading? It's a review on SNES USB controllers. Could this be the answer to your problems? Is now the time of glorious jubilee? Read through and it just might be what you've been needing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Getting it

Oh boy! Today is the day that you've received your SNES USB controllers. Not knowing which was better, you ordered the Tomee and Retrolink ones. Actually you had a fair idea of which one was better. Although a certain ebay seller (gameznetwork) decided to give you the old switcharoo. The joke is on him seeing as how you got a refund and they never asked for the product back.

Slowly you open the boxes. The contents? Just a controller and some twisty-ties to bundle the cords together. Hardly worth video taping. Your unboxing video shall never be. Even though you know that will disappoint your online friends, you must persevere!

IMG_4620.JPG

- Retrolink USB SNES Controller (Price: $15-$21)

You've made a choice on which one to try out first. It's the Retrolink! With it's 8 ft long cord and noticeably larger than Tomee's buttons, it's well endowed. Like dad always said: "It's 3am in the god damned morning. Get back to bed!". Dad gets cranky sometimes. Now where was I? Oh yea, the Retrolink.

The lust for retro gaming takes over your body. You start grabbing and groping the controller. Feeling it up, pressing it's every button. Just like a fart from your partner during sex that makes you flaccid in mere moments, you hear a slight squeak while pressing the B and X button. The night is still young, so you figure you can move on to the other parts. Yet something doesn't feel right. It's shoulder buttons go a slightly below the casing when pressing them. The d-pad isn't bad or great, just decent. Then you notice the sticker around the A-B-X-Y buttons. It's not quite flush. Desperate to find something redeeming on the controller, you go for the Start/Select buttons. Ah, feels good! They are rubber and they feel nice!

It's morning time now. You leave a note saying you have to go to work early. While the controller isn't the worst thing in the world, it's definitely not something you want to have a long term relationship with.

IMG_4616.JPG

IMG_4637.JPG

- Tomee USB SNES Controller (Price:$17-$25)

Retrolink almost made you give up hope on finding "the one". Yet here is something this one... The smooth, tactile A-B-X-Y buttons. A-B convex, and X-Y concave. It's perfect shoulder buttons. The way the d-pad goes up, down, left then right. It's Start/Select buttons are plastic, but the overall feel is nice. It's that girl with a nice attitude, a cute smile and a small rack. After 5 minutes has gone by, you know it's the one!

IMG_4633.JPG

IMG_4635.JPG

- Verdict:

If you really love SNES gaming, pay the extra money for the Tomee. You decide that Mr. Sniggels (your lovely cat) can have it's new cat toy some other time (although if you leave that cord laying around, it might mistake it for one.) That cat isn't the boss of me! I'm my own man!

(Not now Mr. Sniggels! You can have a back-rub after I finish this review...)

Reactions: Haloman800

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SonicSlasher molests cats. That is all.

Also, which snes usb controller should I get?

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Banger said:

QUOTE(Sonicslasher @ Feb 28 2010, 07:38 PM) If you really love SNES gaming, pay the extra money for the Tomee.

I would get one as well, but I rarely play SNES on PC. :\

D

Deleted User

I should get one for them 2D games. Can't limit yourself to SNES games.

Sonicslasher

In Law we trust.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Twiffles said:
Banger said:

QUOTE(Sonicslasher @ Feb 28 2010, 07:38 PM) If you really love SNES gaming, pay the extra money for the Tomee.

I would get one as well, but I rarely play SNES on PC. :\

You could also use it for things like NES, Genesis or other systems that use a d-pad. Tomee does sell a NES USB controller also. I don't really see the point for one if you have the SNES one though. Although I'd probably still buy it if I had the extra cash on me.
tongue.gif

Goge

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This forum shows up on the top of a Google search for USB SNES and Tomee SNES so I thought I would post this here.

There are two unused buttons on the Tomee USB SNES controller PCB. If you notice, the controller in windows is listed as 2 axis 11 buttons but the SNES only has 8 buttons. There are two open solder pads for buttons 7 and 8. I did a quick mod to add two extra buttons to my Tomee USB SNES controller.

I use the two extra buttons in emulators as save state and load state :)

There is also a TURBO solder pad! I was able to enable turbo for buttons but couldn't find out how to disable it without unplugging the controller so I left the turbo mode alone.

I didn't take photos of the wiring but it's super easy and took maybe 20 minutes. Filling the holes for the buttons was the longest part.

buttons.jpg
keyboard.jpg

Reactions: sj33 and Celice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool