• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Trump's latest speech about Antifa taking down/vandalizing statues

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 10,162
  • Replies 176
  • Likes 3
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
I try to steer clear from politics on GBATemp but I would just like to say this.

Trump's speech to me was far too perfect, too obvious, too fitting and scripted so with that, it's necessary to take with a grain of salt.

The Left hates Trump for saying it, the Right loves for saying it. In the end, he is a politician and everyone needs to remember that (politicians can backpedal at any moment). I'll admit that I liked what I heard Trump saying but you can't fall for it.

Take this however you will.

tetrabrik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
agreed on the "too perfect", it seems he intentionally want to inflame the Left, in order to "mobilize" his base, while at the same time telling them "I got your back". it seems calculated and 100% political move, basically saying two things at once to two different audiences. he knows the far right put him in office, so he's got to keep a good relationship. in the long run it might be too politically costly since mainstream republicans are relatively moderate on the political correctness. Or, he might get away with it, just like he's been doing so far. My bet is on the second option.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, someone has to call them out, I am happy both groups are being called out.
OJLQjCX.png

Last edited by Viri,

tetrabrik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What bait was being taken?...

I think Trump was being purposefully inflammatory towards the left in order to generate outcry. That outcry in turn turns into fuel for his base. CNN being this outraged is exactly what he wanted, IMO. No Trump supporter will read that headline and support Trump less - they will instead trust CNN less.

obv this is all conjecture on my part but he does seem to be playing both sides against each other.

(I'm no Trump nor Dem supporter btw, but I do like some political banter)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Trump was being purposefully inflammatory towards the left in order to generate outcry. That outcry in turn turns into fuel for his base. CNN being this outraged is exactly what he wanted, IMO. no Trump supported will read that and support Trump less - they will instead trust CNN less.

obv this is all conjecture on my part but he does seem to be playing both sides against each other.

CNN is not a source of news people should be focusing on, the same goes for any of the mainstream media, it's all about numbers, polls, what's popular, who has the loudest voice, and so on. CNN is just...so bleh. Mainstream just freaking sucks balls no matter what side of the spectrum they are.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Trump was being purposefully inflammatory towards the left in order to generate outcry. That outcry in turn turns into fuel for his base. CNN being this outraged is exactly what he wanted, IMO. No Trump supporter will read that headline and support Trump less - they will instead trust CNN less.

Fair enough, that's actually a pretty good analysis. That wouldn't put it up with the Onion, though

Along those lines, though, I'm irritated that we have a President that's essentially trolling over half the population just to keep a firm grip on his target supporters

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
America, the only country in the world that says one thing and does the exact opposite.

Sometimes, it's times like these that make me want to end up defecting to Japan and live with friends over there for a while. Or foxes, I'll live with the foxes in the Fox Village.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sometimes, it's times like these that make me want to end up defecting to Japan and live with friends over there for a while. Or foxes, I'll live with the foxes in the Fox Village.

I wouldn't go to Japan.
Xenophobic arseholes.

But yeh, it's understandable, I meself also wouldn't want to live in such a country.

tetrabrik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CNN is not a source of news people should be focusing on, the same goes for any of the mainstream media, it's all about numbers, polls, what's popular, who has the loudest voice, and so on. CNN is just...so bleh. Mainstream just freaking sucks balls no matter what side of the spectrum they are.

100% agreed, and this latest headlines confirm that it's not a news site I'd be willing to trust for fact-reporting, they're just as biased as fox news.

on that note, it's interesting to note that their outcry is a reflection of their audience's outcry, and that probably translates into more clicks.

so yeah we have a Troll-in-chief and a clickbait-driven MSM. welcome to the 21st century lol

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't go to Japan.
Xenophobic arseholes.

But yeh, it's understandable, I meself also wouldn't want to live in such a country.

I actually lived there for a while back in 2007, some of my best friends live there; it's mostly the WWII generation/old farts who are bitter :P

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I try to steer clear from politics on GBATemp but I would just like to say this.

Trump's speech to me was far too perfect, too obvious, too fitting and scripted so with that, it's necessary to take with a grain of salt.

The Left hates Trump for saying it, the Right loves for saying it. In the end, he is a politician and everyone needs to remember that (politicians can backpedal at any moment). I'll admit that I liked what I heard Trump saying but you can't fall for it.

Take this however you will.
too perfect?, you think that sounded scripted?, that press conference went off the rails pretty fast.

Last edited by lordkaos,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?