Tutorial  Updated

Access Youtube via Charles Proxy on Switch (with working video playback)

Note: this only works below 3.0.0

10/18/2017 - AS OF FIRMWARE 3.0.0 and above, video playback is disabled on most sites, including YouTube. I am looking into the NicoNico video app since it can play videos from their site using the web applet from inside the app. So far, attempts to redirect the page have failed BUT It is possible to play individual locally stored videos via mapping the page to the video.

5/24/2017 - added update and phone home blocks to the browse anywhere method. I will not be updating the CharlesSwitchYoutube or YouTubeSwitchFiddler
files and recommend everyone to use the Browse Anywhere method.
NOTE: This will fix the update prompt for the eShop (when the conntest rule is off) and the update prompt when doing the connection test.

IF you still get the update message, reboot the console and it should work.

Newest: Added altenative FARX (Autoresponder Rules) with a link to http://xploit.ninty.ninja/ instead of google. I updated the Fiddler_BrowseAnywhere.zip with the FARX.

This site has links to google and youtube among other useful links to tutorials and the Switch hacking section here on GBATemp.

A thanks to @AecdArmy for the site and permission to add it to the tutorial

NEWER: Can now use Fidder to browse anywhere like the DNSwitch method but video playback ACTUALLY WORKS!
Charles is currently not working for this, it crashes the Switch during the connection test rather than opening google.

This method fixes YouTube logging in and allows video playback on the following sites

Dailymotion
various unlicensed streaming sites that use HTML5

NEW: ADDED FIDDLER TUTORIAL

NOTICE: While the Proxy is Set, Internet will ONLY work with Charles or Fiddler running

NOTE: Logging in does not work, that means any YouTube Red stuff is not accessible for people into that stuff.
EDIT: Logging in does work with the Browse Anywhere Method

NOTE: Videos playback is working with this method, using the captive portal DNS method will crash the Switch.

Fiddler Browse Anywhere Method (disables Internet on Switch when active [same as DNSwitch] but allows browsing anywhere WITH VIDEO SUPPORT)

What you will need:
1. Fiddler Proxy
2. A Nintendo Switch (yep, really)
3. A computer that can run Fiddler Proxy and has Internet Access
4. The FARX file inside the Fidder_BrowseAnywhere zip (Fiddler Autoresponder Rules) linked below
---------------------------------------------------
Make sure to go to the options (under Tools menu) and disable the "Act as system proxy on startup" option, i will cover how to do this below if you do not do it now
Step 1:
Go to the Tools tab and click "Telerik Fiddler Options..."
GO to the Connections tab and set it to look like this
FiddlerSettings.jpg

Step 2: Restart Fiddler in case you missed the large black text in the image above for some reason.

Step 3: Go to the Autoresponder tab and import settings, the screen should look like this when done.
NOTE: importing ADDS, not removes existing rules so importing twice will add duplicate rules
Fidder_BrowseAnywhere.jpg

Step 4:
Add the proxy server on the Switch via the Internet settings
you will want to use "Your computer IP address:8888" as the proxy server and do not set verification.

Step 5: Do this to access Google (or http://xploit.ninty.ninja/) on the Switch:
MAKE Sure the conntest.nintendowifi.net rule is CHECKED (Switch will not have eShop or other online connectivity when this is checked)

Do a "Connect to this Network", it will fail and tell you that "Registration is required to use this network."
Google.com (or http://xploit.ninty.ninja/) will now load.

use google (or http://xploit.ninty.ninja/) to browse elsewhere, YouTube works (desktop site only for some reason, and logging in works too)

Fiddler Method (Preferred, as it is free and skips the google error site step Fixed as of 3/7, Charles zip updated)

What you will need:
1. Fiddler Proxy (I used 4.6)
3. A computer that can run Fiddler Proxy and has Internet Access
4. The FARX file inside the YouTubeSwitchFiddler zip (Fiddler Autoresponder Rules) linked below
Make sure to go to the options (under Tools menu) and disable the "Act as system proxy on startup" option, i will cover how to do this below if you do not do it now
Step 1:
Go to the Tools tab and click "Telerik Fiddler Options..."
GO to the Connections tab and set it to look like this
FiddlerSettings.jpg

Step 2: Restart Fiddler in case you missed the large black text in the image above for some reason.

Step 3: Go to the Autoresponder tab and import settings, the screen should look like this when done.
NOTE: importing ADDS, not removes existing rules so importing twice will add duplicate rules
Fiddler-ImportRules.jpg

Step 4:
Add the proxy server on the Switch via the Internet settings
you will want to use "Your computer IP address:8888" as the proxy server and do not set verification.

Step 5: Do this to access YouTube on the Switch:

1. Go to your page, click the user icon in the top left of the Switch
2. scroll down to "User Settings" on the left pane
3. Click the "Posting to Social Media" option
4. Click the "Link" Button for Twitter
5. Click the "Privacy Policy" link on the right
6. Click the Nintendo logo at the center top of the screen
7. Scroll down to "Company Info" under the "About Nintendo" section" at the bottom of the page
8. YouTube will load
9 PROFIT (logging in does not work, video playback does work)

European Users: Use these steps instead of 7 and 8
6. Go to Support link at the bottom of the page
7. Scroll down to "Nintendo Global" under the "Corporate" section at the bottom of the page

Charles Method

What you will need:
1. Charles Proxy (I used 4.0.2)
3. A computer that can run Charles Proxy and has Internet access
4. The two XML files linked below (in a ZIP) for Charles
---------------------------------------------
Make sure to go to the proxy tab in Charles and disable Windows proxy
---------------------------------------------
Step 1:
Press "CTRL+ALT+M" to open up the "Map Remote" option, you should see this:
MapRemote.jpg

Click "Import" and import the "Map Remote" XML file
The list should look like mine after that, afterward click "OK"
-----------------------------
Step 2:
Press "CTRL+ALT+R" To open the "Rewrite Settings" option
RewriteSettings.jpg

Click "Import" and import the "Rewrite" XML file
The screen should look like this once imported
Click OK to save the settings
---------------------------------------
That should be it, to use Charles on the Switch, you must setup a proxy connection on the Switch via the Internet options.
---------------------------------------
To actually use this to access YouTube, do this:
1. Go to your page, click the user icon in the top left of the Switch
2. scroll down to "User Settings" on the left pane
3. Click the "Posting to Social Media" option
4. Click the "Link" Button for Twitter
5. Click the "Privacy Policy" link on the right
6. Click the Nintendo logo at the center top of the screen
7. Scroll down to "Company Info" under the "About Nintendo" section" at the bottom of the page
-----------------------------
European Users: Use these steps instead of 6 and 7
6. Go to Support link at the bottom of the page
7. Scroll down to "Nintendo Global" under the "Corporate" section at the bottom of the page
------------------------------
8. YouTube will now load the mobile page
---------------
9. PROFIT (logging in does not work, video playback does work)
NOTE: If a video fails to play, go back a page then try again. I think this is related to the random ADs that can start before a video as the Switch will not show them.

to find your computer's IP address, open cmd and type "ipconfig"
you are looking for the IPv4 Address under a device named something like Wireless LAN adapter or Local Area Connection depending on if you are on wireless or not.

most likely, if you have some sort of different setup, you know what you are doing and do not need help finding your computer's IP address.

Attachments

• YouTubeSwitchFiddler.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 3,418
  • CharlesSwitchYoutube.zip
    1 KB · Views: 2,055
  • Fiddler_BrowseAnywhere.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 3,302
Last edited by Quantumcat,

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried this and undid it quickly. My xbox one and my tivo stopped functioning doing this. I guess this proxy fucks with the ports they need

driverdis

I am Justice
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried this and undid it quickly. My xbox one and my tivo stopped functioning doing this. I guess this proxy fucks with the ports they need

Charles Proxy is a proxy server that runs on your computer on port 8888, it should not ever mess with anything that is not set to use it.
If you use your computer for Internet access on the Xbox One and TiVO via Internet Connection Sharing or something like that, make sure to turn off the Windows Proxy option in Charles.

patientx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I meant from youtube not from specs given by nintendo. Has any of you tried changing m.youtube.com to a local webserver like hfs ? There you can just share a folder full of video/audio files and try to play them...

driverdis

I am Justice
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant from youtube not from specs given by nintendo. Has any of you tried changing m.youtube.com to a local webserver like hfs ? There you can just share a folder full of video/audio files and try to play them...

Plex works, playing local files from a share should work as the Switch browser "grabs" the video from the link in much the same way as the Wii U browser did.

Also, if anyone is wondering why there is quite a few links and the google error page at the end, it is because the Nintendo.com/corp/ page is not https allowing it to be redirected without the switch having issues with certs not matching.
Since the Charles root cert cannot be imported on the Switch, https cannot be tampered with.

Last edited by driverdis,

pikpol

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Currently this only works on switches that go to the american nintendo site right?

EDIT: Found a way in :)
For European people: Once on the European website, scroll all the way down. Click on "Customerservice". Then again, scroll all the way down. You will see a lot of links leading to all different pages of the website. In the third row search for "Nintendo international" or something that looks like it and click on it :)
An error appears, just click the highlighted box :)

Last edited by pikpol,
Reactions: driverdis

pikpol

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Subtitles are supported xd

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The videos aren't the best quality though :(

sprong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tried replacing the youtube address in the xml file in the vain hope that id be able to do what we are all thinking >_>

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...