Tutorial  Updated

Access Youtube via Charles Proxy on Switch (with working video playback)

Note: this only works below 3.0.0

10/18/2017 - AS OF FIRMWARE 3.0.0 and above, video playback is disabled on most sites, including YouTube. I am looking into the NicoNico video app since it can play videos from their site using the web applet from inside the app. So far, attempts to redirect the page have failed BUT It is possible to play individual locally stored videos via mapping the page to the video.

5/24/2017 - added update and phone home blocks to the browse anywhere method. I will not be updating the CharlesSwitchYoutube or YouTubeSwitchFiddler
files and recommend everyone to use the Browse Anywhere method.
NOTE: This will fix the update prompt for the eShop (when the conntest rule is off) and the update prompt when doing the connection test.

IF you still get the update message, reboot the console and it should work.

Newest: Added altenative FARX (Autoresponder Rules) with a link to http://xploit.ninty.ninja/ instead of google. I updated the Fiddler_BrowseAnywhere.zip with the FARX.

This site has links to google and youtube among other useful links to tutorials and the Switch hacking section here on GBATemp.

A thanks to @AecdArmy for the site and permission to add it to the tutorial

NEWER: Can now use Fidder to browse anywhere like the DNSwitch method but video playback ACTUALLY WORKS!
Charles is currently not working for this, it crashes the Switch during the connection test rather than opening google.

This method fixes YouTube logging in and allows video playback on the following sites

Dailymotion
various unlicensed streaming sites that use HTML5

NEW: ADDED FIDDLER TUTORIAL

NOTICE: While the Proxy is Set, Internet will ONLY work with Charles or Fiddler running

NOTE: Logging in does not work, that means any YouTube Red stuff is not accessible for people into that stuff.
EDIT: Logging in does work with the Browse Anywhere Method

NOTE: Videos playback is working with this method, using the captive portal DNS method will crash the Switch.

Fiddler Browse Anywhere Method (disables Internet on Switch when active [same as DNSwitch] but allows browsing anywhere WITH VIDEO SUPPORT)

What you will need:
1. Fiddler Proxy
2. A Nintendo Switch (yep, really)
3. A computer that can run Fiddler Proxy and has Internet Access
4. The FARX file inside the Fidder_BrowseAnywhere zip (Fiddler Autoresponder Rules) linked below
---------------------------------------------------
Make sure to go to the options (under Tools menu) and disable the "Act as system proxy on startup" option, i will cover how to do this below if you do not do it now
Step 1:
Go to the Tools tab and click "Telerik Fiddler Options..."
GO to the Connections tab and set it to look like this
FiddlerSettings.jpg

Step 2: Restart Fiddler in case you missed the large black text in the image above for some reason.

Step 3: Go to the Autoresponder tab and import settings, the screen should look like this when done.
NOTE: importing ADDS, not removes existing rules so importing twice will add duplicate rules
Fidder_BrowseAnywhere.jpg

Step 4:
Add the proxy server on the Switch via the Internet settings
you will want to use "Your computer IP address:8888" as the proxy server and do not set verification.

Step 5: Do this to access Google (or http://xploit.ninty.ninja/) on the Switch:
MAKE Sure the conntest.nintendowifi.net rule is CHECKED (Switch will not have eShop or other online connectivity when this is checked)

Do a "Connect to this Network", it will fail and tell you that "Registration is required to use this network."
Google.com (or http://xploit.ninty.ninja/) will now load.

use google (or http://xploit.ninty.ninja/) to browse elsewhere, YouTube works (desktop site only for some reason, and logging in works too)

Fiddler Method (Preferred, as it is free and skips the google error site step Fixed as of 3/7, Charles zip updated)

What you will need:
1. Fiddler Proxy (I used 4.6)
3. A computer that can run Fiddler Proxy and has Internet Access
4. The FARX file inside the YouTubeSwitchFiddler zip (Fiddler Autoresponder Rules) linked below
Make sure to go to the options (under Tools menu) and disable the "Act as system proxy on startup" option, i will cover how to do this below if you do not do it now
Step 1:
Go to the Tools tab and click "Telerik Fiddler Options..."
GO to the Connections tab and set it to look like this
FiddlerSettings.jpg

Step 2: Restart Fiddler in case you missed the large black text in the image above for some reason.

Step 3: Go to the Autoresponder tab and import settings, the screen should look like this when done.
NOTE: importing ADDS, not removes existing rules so importing twice will add duplicate rules
Fiddler-ImportRules.jpg

Step 4:
Add the proxy server on the Switch via the Internet settings
you will want to use "Your computer IP address:8888" as the proxy server and do not set verification.

Step 5: Do this to access YouTube on the Switch:

1. Go to your page, click the user icon in the top left of the Switch
2. scroll down to "User Settings" on the left pane
3. Click the "Posting to Social Media" option
4. Click the "Link" Button for Twitter
5. Click the "Privacy Policy" link on the right
6. Click the Nintendo logo at the center top of the screen
7. Scroll down to "Company Info" under the "About Nintendo" section" at the bottom of the page
8. YouTube will load
9 PROFIT (logging in does not work, video playback does work)

European Users: Use these steps instead of 7 and 8
6. Go to Support link at the bottom of the page
7. Scroll down to "Nintendo Global" under the "Corporate" section at the bottom of the page

Charles Method

What you will need:
1. Charles Proxy (I used 4.0.2)
3. A computer that can run Charles Proxy and has Internet access
4. The two XML files linked below (in a ZIP) for Charles
---------------------------------------------
Make sure to go to the proxy tab in Charles and disable Windows proxy
---------------------------------------------
Step 1:
Press "CTRL+ALT+M" to open up the "Map Remote" option, you should see this:
MapRemote.jpg

Click "Import" and import the "Map Remote" XML file
The list should look like mine after that, afterward click "OK"
-----------------------------
Step 2:
Press "CTRL+ALT+R" To open the "Rewrite Settings" option
RewriteSettings.jpg

Click "Import" and import the "Rewrite" XML file
The screen should look like this once imported
Click OK to save the settings
---------------------------------------
That should be it, to use Charles on the Switch, you must setup a proxy connection on the Switch via the Internet options.
---------------------------------------
To actually use this to access YouTube, do this:
1. Go to your page, click the user icon in the top left of the Switch
2. scroll down to "User Settings" on the left pane
3. Click the "Posting to Social Media" option
4. Click the "Link" Button for Twitter
5. Click the "Privacy Policy" link on the right
6. Click the Nintendo logo at the center top of the screen
7. Scroll down to "Company Info" under the "About Nintendo" section" at the bottom of the page
-----------------------------
European Users: Use these steps instead of 6 and 7
6. Go to Support link at the bottom of the page
7. Scroll down to "Nintendo Global" under the "Corporate" section at the bottom of the page
------------------------------
8. YouTube will now load the mobile page
---------------
9. PROFIT (logging in does not work, video playback does work)
NOTE: If a video fails to play, go back a page then try again. I think this is related to the random ADs that can start before a video as the Switch will not show them.

to find your computer's IP address, open cmd and type "ipconfig"
you are looking for the IPv4 Address under a device named something like Wireless LAN adapter or Local Area Connection depending on if you are on wireless or not.

most likely, if you have some sort of different setup, you know what you are doing and do not need help finding your computer's IP address.

Attachments

• YouTubeSwitchFiddler.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 3,418
  • CharlesSwitchYoutube.zip
    1 KB · Views: 2,055
  • Fiddler_BrowseAnywhere.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 3,302
Last edited by Quantumcat,

Shaggy_

Trophies
XP
Country
I tried the first set of instructions and it just connects to the internet without opening google please help?

driverdis

I am Justice
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried the first set of instructions and it just connects to the internet without opening google please help?
Make sure the conntest.nintendowifi.net rule box is checked.

unchecked means it will allow the Switch normal internet access (updates,eShop, etc) whereas checking the box makes the test fail and pops open the web browser to accept the web portal agreement (which is actually google.com) then you can browse the web using that web browser.

if that does not work, make sure the Switch iself has the proxy server info entered into it.

Shaggy_

Trophies
XP
Country
Make sure the conntest.nintendowifi.net rule box is checked.

unchecked means it will allow the Switch normal internet access (updates,eShop, etc) whereas checking the box makes the test fail and pops open the web browser to accept the web portal agreement (which is actually google.com) then you can browse the web using that web browser.

if that does not work, make sure the Switch iself has the proxy server info entered into it.
I did all of that and none of it works

driverdis

I am Justice
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated the files for the BrowseAnywhere method. I added rules to block updates and phoning home. This fixes the update message that blocks the web browser from opening. This also fixes the eShop update message and allows eShop usage on older firmwares (this requires turning the conntest.nintendowifi.net rule off so the web browser does not open up)

I am not updating the Charles rules or the YouTube Fiddler rules as the Fiddler BrowseAnywhere method is the recommended method and I will only support that method.

If you want to add the rules to Fiddler or Charles yourself, block these URLs
Code:
http://beach.hac.lp1.eshop.nintendo.net:443
http://sun.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net:443
http://receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net:443
http://receive-lp1.er.srv.nintendo.net:443

Sorry if it took so long, I have not used my Switch in a while and had no idea a forced update check was enabled for the WiFi portal page and the eShop.

Last edited by driverdis,

driverdis

I am Justice
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
using fiddler im unable to play games online, but can still get to the eshop / no update nag. error code 2618-0201 any ideas? :(

Try turning off one rule at a time and see if it fixes online play. I would start with turning off the 2 receive ones as those are the phone home addresses and should still block updates.

luicaps

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, just tried using Fiddle, and got it running well... apparently (I can see logs in Fiddle).

But whenever I hit "Company Info" I get the message "This page cannot be displayed" with a button to "Return to previous page". I'm using the "YouTubeSwitchFiddler" settings file in Fiddle, but I also imported both files (the Youtube one and "Fiddler_BrowseAnywhere") and got the same result. The interesting part is that I see Fiddle tunneling www.nintendo.com/corp to m.youtube.com.

I also tried ProxSwitch, with which I can access the Youtube page, but nothing loads (no thumbs and no video, but I can browse channels and videos).

I just realized that my switch is updated to the latest version, 2.3.0. Is this the possible cause for the Youtube page not loading properly, or may I be missing something?

driverdis

I am Justice
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, just tried using Fiddle, and got it running well... apparently (I can see logs in Fiddle).

But whenever I hit "Company Info" I get the message "This page cannot be displayed" with a button to "Return to previous page". I'm using the "YouTubeSwitchFiddler" settings file in Fiddle, but I also imported both files (the Youtube one and "Fiddler_BrowseAnywhere") and got the same result. The interesting part is that I see Fiddle tunneling www.nintendo.com/corp to m.youtube.com.

I also tried ProxSwitch, with which I can access the Youtube page, but nothing loads (no thumbs and no video, but I can browse channels and videos).

I just realized that my switch is updated to the latest version, 2.3.0. Is this the possible cause for the Youtube page not loading properly, or may I be missing something?

The browse anywhere method will prompt for a portal login when you do a connection test. That will open google or the the other site instead of a login page.

hitodesu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This worked flawlessly for about a month but now not so much. I am on 2.1.0 and I have updated the rules to the latest addition yet it still won't work. I have quad checked both of the respective settings and I see nothing wrong with either. And lastly dns browser works so I am lost.

Shaggy_

Trophies
XP
Country
I updated the files for the BrowseAnywhere method. I added rules to block updates and phoning home. This fixes the update message that blocks the web browser from opening. This also fixes the eShop update message and allows eShop usage on older firmwares (this requires turning the conntest.nintendowifi.net rule off so the web browser does not open up)

I am not updating the Charles rules or the YouTube Fiddler rules as the Fiddler BrowseAnywhere method is the recommended method and I will only support that method.

If you want to add the rules to Fiddler or Charles yourself, block these URLs
Code:
http://beach.hac.lp1.eshop.nintendo.net:443
http://sun.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net:443
http://receive-lp1.dg.srv.nintendo.net:443
http://receive-lp1.er.srv.nintendo.net:443

Sorry if it took so long, I have not used my Switch in a while and had no idea a forced update check was enabled for the WiFi portal page and the eShop.

I did this but it hasn't worked still it just says that the switch has "Successfully Connected."

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
anyone else can help me?
I've followed all the steps and yet, when I do the connection test, it just run it regularly, no authentification popup, nothing

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

anyone else can help me?
I've followed all the steps and yet, when I do the connection test, it just run it regularly, no authentification popup, nothing
btw, i do see connection in fiddler proxy

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, it does work. at least it does for me on firmware 2.0 with the config files i made and uploaded.
then can you help me please?
anyone else can help me?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

btw, i do see connection in fiddler proxy

Justin20020

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It doesn't work for me on 3.0. My connection doesn't failed if I set my IP adress and the port of the proxy correctly. Dont know what to do now

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended