Tutorial  Updated

Access Youtube via Charles Proxy on Switch (with working video playback)

Note: this only works below 3.0.0

10/18/2017 - AS OF FIRMWARE 3.0.0 and above, video playback is disabled on most sites, including YouTube. I am looking into the NicoNico video app since it can play videos from their site using the web applet from inside the app. So far, attempts to redirect the page have failed BUT It is possible to play individual locally stored videos via mapping the page to the video.

5/24/2017 - added update and phone home blocks to the browse anywhere method. I will not be updating the CharlesSwitchYoutube or YouTubeSwitchFiddler
files and recommend everyone to use the Browse Anywhere method.
NOTE: This will fix the update prompt for the eShop (when the conntest rule is off) and the update prompt when doing the connection test.

IF you still get the update message, reboot the console and it should work.

Newest: Added altenative FARX (Autoresponder Rules) with a link to http://xploit.ninty.ninja/ instead of google. I updated the Fiddler_BrowseAnywhere.zip with the FARX.

This site has links to google and youtube among other useful links to tutorials and the Switch hacking section here on GBATemp.

A thanks to @AecdArmy for the site and permission to add it to the tutorial

NEWER: Can now use Fidder to browse anywhere like the DNSwitch method but video playback ACTUALLY WORKS!
Charles is currently not working for this, it crashes the Switch during the connection test rather than opening google.

This method fixes YouTube logging in and allows video playback on the following sites

Dailymotion
various unlicensed streaming sites that use HTML5

NEW: ADDED FIDDLER TUTORIAL

NOTICE: While the Proxy is Set, Internet will ONLY work with Charles or Fiddler running

NOTE: Logging in does not work, that means any YouTube Red stuff is not accessible for people into that stuff.
EDIT: Logging in does work with the Browse Anywhere Method

NOTE: Videos playback is working with this method, using the captive portal DNS method will crash the Switch.

Fiddler Browse Anywhere Method (disables Internet on Switch when active [same as DNSwitch] but allows browsing anywhere WITH VIDEO SUPPORT)

What you will need:
1. Fiddler Proxy
2. A Nintendo Switch (yep, really)
3. A computer that can run Fiddler Proxy and has Internet Access
4. The FARX file inside the Fidder_BrowseAnywhere zip (Fiddler Autoresponder Rules) linked below
---------------------------------------------------
Make sure to go to the options (under Tools menu) and disable the "Act as system proxy on startup" option, i will cover how to do this below if you do not do it now
Step 1:
Go to the Tools tab and click "Telerik Fiddler Options..."
GO to the Connections tab and set it to look like this
FiddlerSettings.jpg

Step 2: Restart Fiddler in case you missed the large black text in the image above for some reason.

Step 3: Go to the Autoresponder tab and import settings, the screen should look like this when done.
NOTE: importing ADDS, not removes existing rules so importing twice will add duplicate rules
Fidder_BrowseAnywhere.jpg

Step 4:
Add the proxy server on the Switch via the Internet settings
you will want to use "Your computer IP address:8888" as the proxy server and do not set verification.

Step 5: Do this to access Google (or http://xploit.ninty.ninja/) on the Switch:
MAKE Sure the conntest.nintendowifi.net rule is CHECKED (Switch will not have eShop or other online connectivity when this is checked)

Do a "Connect to this Network", it will fail and tell you that "Registration is required to use this network."
Google.com (or http://xploit.ninty.ninja/) will now load.

use google (or http://xploit.ninty.ninja/) to browse elsewhere, YouTube works (desktop site only for some reason, and logging in works too)

Fiddler Method (Preferred, as it is free and skips the google error site step Fixed as of 3/7, Charles zip updated)

What you will need:
1. Fiddler Proxy (I used 4.6)
3. A computer that can run Fiddler Proxy and has Internet Access
4. The FARX file inside the YouTubeSwitchFiddler zip (Fiddler Autoresponder Rules) linked below
Make sure to go to the options (under Tools menu) and disable the "Act as system proxy on startup" option, i will cover how to do this below if you do not do it now
Step 1:
Go to the Tools tab and click "Telerik Fiddler Options..."
GO to the Connections tab and set it to look like this
FiddlerSettings.jpg

Step 2: Restart Fiddler in case you missed the large black text in the image above for some reason.

Step 3: Go to the Autoresponder tab and import settings, the screen should look like this when done.
NOTE: importing ADDS, not removes existing rules so importing twice will add duplicate rules
Fiddler-ImportRules.jpg

Step 4:
you will want to use "Your computer IP address:8888" as the proxy server and do not set verification.

Step 5: Do this to access YouTube on the Switch:

1. Go to your page, click the user icon in the top left of the Switch
2. scroll down to "User Settings" on the left pane
3. Click the "Posting to Social Media" option
4. Click the "Link" Button for Twitter
5. Click the "Privacy Policy" link on the right
6. Click the Nintendo logo at the center top of the screen
7. Scroll down to "Company Info" under the "About Nintendo" section" at the bottom of the page
8. YouTube will load
9 PROFIT (logging in does not work, video playback does work)

European Users: Use these steps instead of 7 and 8
6. Go to Support link at the bottom of the page
7. Scroll down to "Nintendo Global" under the "Corporate" section at the bottom of the page

Charles Method

What you will need:
1. Charles Proxy (I used 4.0.2)
3. A computer that can run Charles Proxy and has Internet access
4. The two XML files linked below (in a ZIP) for Charles
---------------------------------------------
Make sure to go to the proxy tab in Charles and disable Windows proxy
---------------------------------------------
Step 1:
Press "CTRL+ALT+M" to open up the "Map Remote" option, you should see this:
MapRemote.jpg

Click "Import" and import the "Map Remote" XML file
The list should look like mine after that, afterward click "OK"
-----------------------------
Step 2:
Press "CTRL+ALT+R" To open the "Rewrite Settings" option
RewriteSettings.jpg

Click "Import" and import the "Rewrite" XML file
The screen should look like this once imported
Click OK to save the settings
---------------------------------------
That should be it, to use Charles on the Switch, you must setup a proxy connection on the Switch via the Internet options.
---------------------------------------
To actually use this to access YouTube, do this:
1. Go to your page, click the user icon in the top left of the Switch
2. scroll down to "User Settings" on the left pane
3. Click the "Posting to Social Media" option
4. Click the "Link" Button for Twitter
5. Click the "Privacy Policy" link on the right
6. Click the Nintendo logo at the center top of the screen
7. Scroll down to "Company Info" under the "About Nintendo" section" at the bottom of the page
-----------------------------
European Users: Use these steps instead of 6 and 7
6. Go to Support link at the bottom of the page
7. Scroll down to "Nintendo Global" under the "Corporate" section at the bottom of the page
------------------------------
8. YouTube will now load the mobile page
---------------
9. PROFIT (logging in does not work, video playback does work)
NOTE: If a video fails to play, go back a page then try again. I think this is related to the random ADs that can start before a video as the Switch will not show them.

to find your computer's IP address, open cmd and type "ipconfig"
you are looking for the IPv4 Address under a device named something like Wireless LAN adapter or Local Area Connection depending on if you are on wireless or not.

most likely, if you have some sort of different setup, you know what you are doing and do not need help finding your computer's IP address.

Attachments

• YouTubeSwitchFiddler.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 3,422
  • CharlesSwitchYoutube.zip
    1 KB · Views: 2,059
  • Fiddler_BrowseAnywhere.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 3,306
Last edited by Quantumcat,
D

Deleted User

I finally got it to work but, youtube videos, just say "This Feature is not available." I used the first method and my Switch is on update 3.0.0

AecdArmy

Biscuit#0001
Trophies
Website
mariebot.tech
XP
Country
Australia
@driverdis You need to update the config for BrowseAnywhere, Nintendos New Connection Ping is http://ctest.cdn.nintendo.net/

I made a config thats updated to go to my site with everything BrowseAnywhere has.
If you would like to go to another URL you can scroll down to the bottom of the page input a url without http:// and https://. Just click submit when you have the site you want in there.
Example:
https://uploads.ninty.ninja/i/vbysc.png

Attachments

• AecdArmy-BrowseAnywhere-Updated.zip
    699 bytes · Views: 264
Reactions: driverdis

driverdis

I am Justice
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@driverdis You need to update the config for BrowseAnywhere, Nintendos New Connection Ping is http://ctest.cdn.nintendo.net/

I made a config thats updated to go to my site with everything BrowseAnywhere has.
If you would like to go to another URL you can scroll down to the bottom of the page input a url without http:// and https://. Just click submit when you have the site you want in there.
Example:
https://uploads.ninty.ninja/i/vbysc.png

I will do that soon. I have been busy IRL lately so I have not had the time to mess around with my Switch or to update this thread. I plan on sitting down and overhauling this tutorial sometime soon along with spending more time testing out what I can and cant redirect webpage wise to see if I can get video playback again. I will be moving on to 3.0.1 (already am on 3.0) so the chances of me finding some way to play videos back is slim.

Rimvydas220

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Can anyone explain how to do this?I don't understand.Step 4:
you will want to use "Your computer IP address:8888" as the proxy server and do not set verification.What am I supposed to do? I don't really know do I open a port?It was very vague.

unit220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone explain how to do this?I don't understand.Step 4:
you will want to use "Your computer IP address:8888" as the proxy server and do not set verification.What am I supposed to do? I don't really know do I open a port?It was very vague.

You just need go into the switch's internet settings, select the network you want use, and then add your PC as a proxy. Simply, change where it says "Your computer IP address" with your machine's IP and place it in the address box and then put the 8888 port in where the switch asks for the port (below the address in Proxy settings). There is a myriad of ways to find your machine's IP depending on your OS, driverdis explains a method for windows earlier in this thread.

Also on another unrelated note, it does seem 3.0 has disabled youtube playback. Anyone got ideas how to get around this?

driverdis

I am Justice
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also on another unrelated note, it does seem 3.0 has disabled youtube playback. Anyone got ideas how to get around this?
I have found no ways to play videos yet as it seems the video playback function was disabled on the browser and the first redirect method posted about no longer works. I am trying out a few ideas I have and will report back when I can achieve playback.

Rimvydas220

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Okay I have the IP address and Proxy port done but it doesn't let me save these settings. wait do I have to make a hotspot from my computer? because I'm just connecting to my modem instead of a computer.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so, I tried to do the proxy thing. What am I supposed to do?
What I am trying is Proxy Settings > Server (My PC IP and port), but the Switch keeps telling me the information you entered is incorrect.
Do you need to input it somewhere else?

What to do? The information is very vague indeed.

BandanaManJunior

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
'Looks at page' "Mmmhmm, ok that's pretty damn easy." Looks at how to connect to his switch. "THE FUCK IS MY SSID!?!" But seriously guys please someone help me with this.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

plz help me! what is my ssid!

PotatisKnug

Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
'Looks at page' "Mmmhmm, ok that's pretty damn easy." Looks at how to connect to his switch. "THE FUCK IS MY SSID!?!" But seriously guys please someone help me with this.

plz help me! what is my ssid!
SSID? That's the network name.
Ex: Larry's Router

MrMeanmoustache

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So quick question, I have set my Fiddlr to this
upload_2017-10-15_21-27-45.png

and my settings are this

upload_2017-10-15_21-28-16.png

so it all seems right, but now i have seriously no clue what i have to change in my internet settings on the switch, i have tried multiple things but i really can't figure it out. i assume on server your need your PC's IP adress and on Port the 8888, but my switch just connects like there is nothing going on, do i need to change anything in the IP adreess settings or DNS settings or do i keep that to automatic? i hope someone can help me because i cant figure it out. oh yeah they are both connected to the same wifi network because i wanted to see if that was required maybe, but is it possible to just use my Lan COnnection or does my switch then also need to be connected to LAN?

PotatisKnug

Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
guys i'm on 3.0 can i watch youtube on my switch????
Nope. H.264 is turned off.

So quick question, I have set my Fiddlr to this View attachment 102837

and my settings are this

View attachment 102838

so it all seems right, but now i have seriously no clue what i have to change in my internet settings on the switch, i have tried multiple things but i really can't figure it out. i assume on server your need your PC's IP adress and on Port the 8888, but my switch just connects like there is nothing going on, do i need to change anything in the IP adreess settings or DNS settings or do i keep that to automatic? i hope someone can help me because i cant figure it out. oh yeah they are both connected to the same wifi network because i wanted to see if that was required maybe, but is it possible to just use my Lan COnnection or does my switch then also need to be connected to LAN?
Go into cmd, type ipconfig and get your "Ipv4 address" In my case 10.0.0.4, go to the switch and edit your internet settings, turn PROXY settings to manual, input your ipv4 and port 8888 and try it out.

enhasa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get "unable to connect to the network" when I add the proxy address on the switch.
I have everything exactly like the guide.
Do certain windows services or protocols have to be enabled for this to work? I have file/printer sharing off as well as some other stuff I don't use.

driverdis

I am Justice
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this no longer works

Yes Unfortunately. This method still works via using the new Nintendo test page instead of the older one but it lacks all video playback support. The browser can still play videos back in some app web "browser" applets like the NicoNico app but only videos from the whitelisted pages work and I have not been able to successfully redirect the web page without the browser noticing.

I did find that you could replace the NicoNico help link directly with a MP4 video and the video will open and play., however that is very limited since there is no way to open a web page to select videos from since the browser seems to know when I tamper with the webpage.

Last edited by driverdis,

tunip3

[debugger active]
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes Unfortunately. This method still works via using the new Nintendo test page instead of the older one but it lacks all video playback support. The browser can still play videos back in some app web "browser" applets like the NicoNico app but only videos from the whitelisted pages work and I have not been able to successfully redirect the web page without the browser noticing.

I did find that you could replace the NicoNico help link directly with a MP4 video and the video will open and play., however that is very limited since there is no way to open a web page to select videos from since the browser seems to know when I tamper with the webpage.
No I cannot get the captive portal to work

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    halllo
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: hello