Hacking [TUTORIAL] Fiddler setup guide for blocking update server.

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
UPDATE: You need to block more than one server now, refer to this post for list of update server you need to block in addition to the one in the tutorial.

Guide to blocking http://sun.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net:443 with Fiddler.

This allows you to only block system firmware updates. Game updates, eshop and friends will all still work. You can also block other URLs as they are discovered. This gives you greater control than just using someone else's DNS and then waiting for them to update their block list in the future or even spying on you.

1) Download Fiddler.

https://www.telerik.com/docs/default-source/fiddler/fiddlersetup.exe?sfvrsn=4

2) Install Fiddler then execute the application.
NOTE: If you firewall warning pops up at anytime during this tutorial please allow Fiddler full access.

3) Open the menu "Tools/Telerik Fiddler Options".
Select the option "Allow remote computers to connect".
Remove the option "Act as system proxy on startup".
Click "OK".

image.png

4) Back on the main screen select "AutoResponder" tab.
Select the option "Enable Rules".
Select the option "Unmatched requests passthrough".

image.png

5) Click "Add Rule".
Copy and Paste this into the rule editor: EXACT:http://sun.hac.lp1.d4c.nintendo.net:443
Select "*drop" from the list in the bottom box.
Click "Save".

image.png

image.png

5) Make sure your new rule looks like this.
CLOSE and RESTART Fiddler.

image.png

6) Double check your firewall is open to Fiddler.
Search for "Windows Firewall" in your start menu or find it though control panel.
Select "Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall".
Scroll down the list and make sure Fiddler is allowed in "Private/Domain" or "Public" if you are on a public network.

fw1.png

fw2.png

7) TURN OFF AUTO-UPDATE on your Switch!
Set up a proxy on your Switch.
Server = IP Address of the computer running Fiddler
Port = 8888
Click Save.
Restart your Switch. Note: Hold power button down for 5 seconds then choose restart from power options

17504278_1887157621566409_5502554433794901673_o.jpg

17621897_1887153344900170_4091351670766775217_o.jpg

8) Now connect your Switch to your network.
You should see Fiddler blocking the update server in real time.
If you do not see the red block icon and instead see a grey padlock, then something went wrong. Double check the spelling of the URL.
If your Switch cannot even connect to the network, there may be a firewall issue with the computer running Fiddler.

blk2.png

9) Fiddler must be running from now on for your Switch to be able to access the internet. If it is not running, your Switch will not be able to access the internet.

10) Profit.

Check here for a list of URLs and their purpose.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

Mr. Wizard

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you so much is there a way to keep the program closed but run in the background?
You mean hide when minimized? Yes there is an option under the appearance settings.
If you mean run it as a "windows service" so it starts even if nobody is logged on you can follow these instructions here: http://fiddler.wikidot.com/runasservice.

bg1.png

Reactions: itsjch

Mr. Wizard

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For anyone having issues I forgot to mention you have to close and restart fiddler after setting it up for the changes to take effect. Guide updated.

hitodesu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean hide when minimized? Yes there is an option under the appearance settings.
If you mean run it as a "windows service" so it starts even if nobody is logged on you can follow these instructions here: http://fiddler.wikidot.com/runasservice.

bg1.png
That microsoft guide on how to set up a custom service kinda broke my mind, are there any good video tutorials for the same thing?

itsjch

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
That microsoft guide on how to set up a custom service kinda broke my mind, are there any good video tutorials for the same thing?
For anyone having issues I forgot to mention you have to close and restart fiddler after setting it up for the changes to take effect. Guide updated.

I found an easy way to start up the program on boot follow my instructions

1. Press Windows+R at the same time to bring up the Run dialog box.
2. Type in with out quotes "shell:startup"
3. Place a short cut of the program in the startup folder.
4. Profit.

Mr. Wizard

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Cant you also use Open DNS to block the url?
Yes you can block domains.

https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-u...ing-Specific-Domains-with-Whitelist-Blacklist

I prefer using fiddler, it's more advanced and you can sniff out the traffic.

Also I wrote this guide because someone requested it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I found an easy way to start up the program on boot follow my instructions

1. Press Windows+R at the same time to bring up the Run dialog box.
2. Type in with out quotes "shell:startup"
3. Place a short cut of the program in the startup folder.
4. Profit.

Yes, that is what I use to start it. I'm sorry I guess I misunderstood your original question, I thought you meant you wanted it to start minimized or hidden, not that you were asking how to start it when you log on.

Also, you can right click the shortcut, select properties and select run window minimized if you prefer to have the icon running on the taskbar and not the notifications bar.

itsjch

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Forgot to mention good thing about this if you have your program turned off and try to run your switch online it wont jump online so its a fail fail safe :P

Reactions: Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Forgot to mention good thing about this if you have your program turned off and try to run your switch online it wont jump online so its a fail fail safe :P
I believe I did mention that. In any case, you are absolutely correct.

9) Fiddler must be running from now on for your Switch to be able to access the internet. If it is not running, your Switch will not be able to access the internet.

hitodesu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You cannot have any spaces in a path. You must encapsulate them in quotes.

Try this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\Instsrv.exe" Fiddler "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\Srvany.exe"
Fuck yeah, got it to work, thanks! I thought it might of had something to do with the spaces but didn't try that!

hitodesu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last question, is it possible to get a service to start (automatically) only once a user logs in?

Mr. Wizard

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Last question, is it possible to get a service to start (automatically) only once a user logs in?
You can set it to manually start but the whole point of installing it as a service is so it starts at boot up, no user necessary. If you only want it to start when a user logs in why did you install it as a service? You could have just added it to your user's startup folder.

hitodesu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can set it to manually start but the whole point of installing it as a service is so it starts at boot up, no user necessary. If you only want it to start when a user logs in why did you install it as a service? You could have just added it to your user's startup folder.
Sorry for your confusion, I neglected to mention I wasn't reffering to fiddler. I was just curious if it is possible for any service, fiddler or not.

Mr. Wizard

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry for your confusion, I neglected to mention I wasn't reffering to fiddler. I was just curious if it is possible for any service, fiddler or not.
Run services.msc (elevated), edit properties of your service and set it to start manually.

image.png

Run taskschd.msc (elevated), create a new task.
Create a new Trigger and set it to "At log on".

image.png

Create a new Action and set it to start "net.exe start foo", "foo" being the name of your service.

image.png

Save your new Task.

Profit...

You will most likely have to set the task privilege to the same user you created the service with or set it to run with highest privilege from the General tab.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

Vullurian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Done it all but my Switch still refuses to connect to internet ( my firewall is turned off) I cant use eshop or any online features because it tells me to sign in to my Nintendo account and update. Is there any way around this or do I have to update?

Mr. Wizard

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Done it all but my Switch still refuses to connect to internet ( my firewall is turned off) I cant use eshop or any online features because it tells me to sign in to my Nintendo account and update. Is there any way around this or do I have to update?
Did you hold power button and restart your console? What version are you on? Do you have any screenshots of your configuration?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: test what?