Tutorial:How to fix The Legend Of Zelda Skyward Sword

zelda-skyward-sword-boxart-updated.png

I created this topic because a lot of people had some problems with the game.
So here is how i fixed zelda.

1.From the place you downloaded the game had a package of WAD (IOS 2XX) files which i won't provide
2.Download Wad manager 1.7 Link: [ft]http://filetrip.net/f11391-WAD-Manager-1-7.html[/ft]
3.Transfer the was file to a USB or a SD card so you can install them.
4.Go to Homebrew Channel and start Wad manager 1.7
5.Select IOS 249 and install all the wad files (2XX)
6.Download the latest USB Loader GX (It's in WAD so i can't provide)
7.Go to settings and Enable autoreload IOS (Not Auto)
8.Play the game!

To play the game it requires a WM+
The newest controllers have this one.

Hope this will help you! :D

MewtwoEx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
7.Go to settings and Enable autoreload IOS (Not Auto)

Question here, that will be ON to Block IOS Reload yes?

if so.. it still doesnt work, I get prompt back to the Wii Menu

unopepito06

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks man, you're a lifesaver. Worked perfectly!

For others, the game was booting me back to the Wii menu. I just installed all the IOS wads, booted it with Neogamma with alt dol, and it ran fine. Tested booting it with Loader GX after that and that worked fine too, and I didn't even change the autoreload.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You don't even need the new cIOS (which are leaked from alpha version, and not released officially yet).

Like for every games using the Motion+:
Just watch the player.dol video to explain the Wii motion+ if you never watched it before, and that's all.
All future WiiMotion+ games will work without the need to watch the video again.

Reactions: Slimmmmmm

NayibPastrana

Trophies
XP
Okay, quick question...

What exactly does the fix do? I found it, and am currently downloading it, but I'm not sure what it does. Is it really necessary?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
like I told just above, no it's not needed at all.

The "fix" is just the latest version of the cIOS, in a pack of "5 wad files" which will install 5 different revisions of d2x v7 alpha5 (for developers only). You will have a cIOS installed in slot 247/248/249/250/251 ! You really don't need that!

You have two scenarios to play the game :
  1. You already watched the Wii motion+ video:
    You don't need the "fix" pack at all. just play Zelda like any other games.
  2. You never watched the Wii Motion+ video:
    • solution 1 (dirty, but quick): Go to your loader setting, select Alternative dol method, and pick the "player.dol". Launch the game, it will show you the Wii motion+ video and reboot the system. Go back to your game setting in the loader, and disable alternative dol. Launch the game and Enjoy :D
    • Solution 2 (clean): Install D2x v6 if you don't have it yet. install in slot 249 the base 56. Go to your USBloader setting (or game setting) and enable the option "Block IOS reload". Launch the game, it will show you the video only the first time you launch it. and instead of rebooting the system it will launch the game. Enjoy :D
      (PS: you can disable "block IOS reload" once you watched the video M+, it won't try to load it again ever)

The "fix" is only provided so the users install the latest D2x in order to enable "block IOS reload" option.
But it's not required at all, you can play the game without this option, you ONLY NEED to watch the video Motion+ once (maybe you already did with Wii Sport Resort? then it's fine, you won't ever have to watch it again).

Zelda has no protection at all, it's just a "common" Wii motion+ game : you need to watch the video.

The "tutorial" in the first post of this topic is wrong.
It told the user to do unnecessary steps (without checking their current config first), and says that USBloaderGX is only available as WAD file so he can't give it (which is wrong, a dol exists, and the wad is legal).
The tutorial rely on pirated content that the user has to find, instead of providing legal installers. It's not very helpful for a tutorial if it cover only 1 released torrent file which included the said "fixed wad" and not being a global tutorial (for example for people buying the original but not wanting to update their wii and play only on USB loaders).

Elza, If you can, please update the tutorial to be legal and cover all possible user's situation.

Reactions: zeaz and Krove

y0wni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I asume this topic is about a certain bug which won't let you past the introduction video?
I used 4.2e with the recommended modmii repack, which included ios56 249 222 251 I believe and it started just fine with usbloader gx.

However I got the blackscreen 2 times now while playing, is the alternative dol loading recommended for me or should I just install d2x v6 which I believe I already have.

Also what if I update to 4.3e?, will I just be able to redo hackmii and be able to run games on a stable 4.3e?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Alternative dol = The video instead of the game.
It has nothing to do with the black screens, and won't help you play the game ... it will only show you the video...again.

You can update to 4.3E and can re-hack the Wii.
Just know that Wii system menu version has NOTHING to do with playing a game (I'm on 3.2E and all games are working).
There's no "stable" system menu for games.

Games runs with IOS not system menu.
What you need (if you need something stable) is a Stable cIOS + Stable USBloader.

Latest USBloader GX (beta) has problem with black screen, use v2.3 if you are using a beta and have black screen when launching a game.

If you have black screen while playing Zelda (loading another map), then it's another problem that a lot of users have with all USBloaders and different settings, and we don't know the cause yet.
It could be a bad dump.
It could be caused by any patches (Ocarina? Block IOS reload? something else? use all default settings.)

IndustrialJazz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't even need the new cIOS (which are leaked from alpha version, and not released officially yet).

Like for every games using the Motion+:
Just watch the player.dol video to explain the Wii motion+ if you never watched it before, and that's all.
All future WiiMotion+ games will work without the need to watch the video again.

For the past 6 months, I have looked at almost every forum thread ever posted about issues dealing with loading Skyward Sword from a USB device via USB Loader GX, Wii Flow, and NeoGamma. I am absolutely sure the wbfs file is in tact because it runs on Dolphin Emulator on my PC, but I cannot get it to start up for the life of me using any USB loader, preferably GX. I have USB Loader GX 3.0 installed and I have CIOS dev v10 52 with a 56 base on IOS slot 249. I have tried resetting to default game settings, turned of nand emulation, and tried to boot to alt.dol (player.dol) but it won't even boot to the Wii Motion+ plus video following boot. I have game IOS set to 249 and have been toiling to depression at one point 5 hours straight. Cyan, you seem to have been an amazing help to others, and anyone who may have a clue about this, any advice or suggestions would be well appreciated.

I posted this as a new thread but accidentally in the Nintendo DS section. If there's anything you could do, that would be awesome

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you are replying to a very old thread (2011) talking about a very old unreleased version (v7 was unreleased in 2011), while today v10 is available.
just install v8 or v10. do not follow old tutorials, old guides or try to find help using old threads. there are newer guides and tools.

edit:
sorry, didn't read your second quote, I thought you quoted someone else but just noticed it's your own question from the other thread.
if you are already using v10 r52, and disabled emuNAND, then it's not easy to suggest anything else.

if you are on Wii, try v8 instead of v10
try a different video mode (if you are from china, what is your console region? which game region are you trying to play? did you try different video mode?)
if you are on "USBLoaderGX 3.0" that's not enough information. you need to update from "r1180" to "r1262" if you want the latest revision.
Emulators on PC (and in general) have less constraints and more back door on errors. they can manage to correct them by using different methods (different way to achieve the same things, different CPU, GPU, etc.), while original hardware are more strict. Maybe your ISO is really bad, but you don't know it. check it with Wii Backup Manager.

if you boot to alt.dol, do not select player.dol (that's actually the video, but if you already seen it, it's skipped).
if you never watched it, and can still not load it, then there's an issue with the game. Try a different wiimote+ game to watch that video.

Last edited by Cyan,

IndustrialJazz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you are replying to a very old thread (2011) talking about a very old unreleased version (v7 was unreleased in 2011), while today v10 is available.
just install v8 or v10. do not follow old tutorials, old guides or try to find help using old threads. there are newer guides and tools.

edit:
sorry, didn't read your second quote, I thought you quoted someone else but just noticed it's your own question from the other thread.
if you are already using v10 r52, and disabled emuNAND, then it's not easy to suggest anything else.

if you are on Wii, try v8 instead of v10
try a different video mode (if you are from china, what is your console region? which game region are you trying to play? did you try different video mode?)
if you are on "USBLoaderGX 3.0" that's not enough information. you need to update from "r1180" to "r1262" if you want the latest revision.
Emulators on PC (and in general) have less constraints and more back door on errors. they can manage to correct them by using different methods (different way to achieve the same things, different CPU, GPU, etc.), while original hardware are more strict. Maybe your ISO is really bad, but you don't know it. check it with Wii Backup Manager.

if you boot to alt.dol, do not select player.dol (that's actually the video, but if you already seen it, it's skipped).
if you never watched it, and can still not load it, then there's an issue with the game. Try a different wiimote+ game to watch that video.

Yeah sorry for the confusion. I actually talked to one of my friends and he enlightened me. The only thing I hadn't considered was what version my Wii itself was on. It is only on Ver 4.1, but I keep having connection problems in the process of system updating. I'm looking for a USB/Lan adapter cord to directly hook my router to the Wii. Thanks a bunch for your help anyways. Will need to rehack it after I update too. Well at least I know the problem now. Blessings!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah sorry for the confusion. I actually talked to one of my friends and he enlightened me. The only thing I hadn't considered was what version my Wii itself was on. It is only on Ver 4.1, but I keep having connection problems in the process of system updating. I'm looking for a USB/Lan adapter cord to directly hook my router to the Wii. Thanks a bunch for your help anyways. Will need to rehack it after I update too. Well at least I know the problem now. Blessings!
my Wii is on v3.2 and that game worked fine, I completed it without any issues. I only had to update the cIOS (I used v7 when I played it in 2011, but now I have v8) and update the loader.

if you have issues updating your console, maybe it has a system file error? is Zelda the only game with this launch issue?
do you have issues accessing all your console's settings?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What revision of USB Loader GX is it? Does it say "3.0" or "3.0c"? The only thing Skyward Sword should need is a fairly recent cIOS and NO emuNAND save emulation. It needs to save to the real NAND.

IndustrialJazz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my Wii is on v3.2 and that game worked fine, I completed it without any issues. I only had to update the cIOS (I used v7 when I played it in 2011, but now I have v8) and update the loader.

if you have issues updating your console, maybe it has a system file error? is Zelda the only game with this launch issue?
do you have issues accessing all your console's settings?

All other Wii games that I have work. I just can't get Skyward Sword to work and I'm almost positive it is because of my System Menu version. I'm trying to update offline using DOP Mii because it keeps erring with my wifi. Does anyone know what IOS slot is the System Menu's???? This is very confusing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Nope. Not into gaming.