Brazil

geishroy

Suspended
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never had problems myself, as i already said, there were times when the games loaded faster on the USB then the DVD itself

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Modchips, Like matrix for example
i find it extremely hard to believe you have experienced no cut scene lag in games. USB 1.1 is just not fast enough to handle this in some games.

banzai200

That dude who does things
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i find it extremely hard to believe you have experienced no cut scene lag in games. USB 1.1 is just not fast enough to handle this in some games.
I know, it's kinda hard to believe anyway, on Megaman X Collection for an example, Megaman X4 cutscenes got a little laggy sometimes, yes
God of War, i played more on Samba, so it did run smoothly on ps2, even cutscenes
In other games, i didn't cared much/skipped the cutscene to realize the lag, so i must have experienced some, but on gameplay, on all games i tried, just perfect

banzai200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, people, i was going to add Samba game loading and some other observations on the post, but i just realized that opl has screwed up the samba configurations, especially with windows 10
I'm gonna try to solve that bastard of a problem, and then i will complete the tutorial
I'm truly sorry for now

banzai200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, i know it seems like i abandoned this tutorial, which is still incomplete, but no, i just left my ps2 catching dust for quite sometime, it has something to do with college and such
I took it out of the shelf last week to play kingdom hearts and i FINALLY made smb work with shitdows 10, so that's a relief
I'll be updating the tutorial by the weekend or later, i gotta fire up my capture card again, but, in the meantime, i'm back baby

Reactions: Jojse

Shuffleblade

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
And finally updated, now my job here's done
Banzai, I am incredibly grateful for this, your guide saved my bacon. It was really important for me to get Tales of the abyss undub to run on my old PS2 but no matter what I did I couldn't get it to work(burning the iso). Scouring the web for hope I found this and went through your guide, the USB method was too slow to work with this game but after a lot of effort I got the network method to work. I know there's no guarantee it will work flawlessly but besides one freeze during loading its worked great for 1.5 hours so far. I would never have figured this stuff out without you, super thank you!

banzai200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Banzai, I am incredibly grateful for this, your guide saved my bacon. It was really important for me to get Tales of the abyss undub to run on my old PS2 but no matter what I did I couldn't get it to work(burning the iso). Scouring the web for hope I found this and went through your guide, the USB method was too slow to work with this game but after a lot of effort I got the network method to work. I know there's no guarantee it will work flawlessly but besides one freeze during loading its worked great for 1.5 hours so far. I would never have figured this stuff out without you, super thank you!
hey dude, don't sweat it, it's for things like this that i made the post, but you're welcome anyway, good game my dude

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Do I need a mod chip for SMB loading, or will my FREE MC BOOT work?
Any way to run OPL will work, this means a chip (with USB boot support, or an OPL/WLaunchElf disc) on most 900XXs, but if your console supports it FreeMcBoot/FreeHdBoot are perfectly fine options

asdronin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hi! First of all thanks for making this tutorial, it seems quite useful, well I cant progress from a certain step but let me tell my scenario so that you can tell me if it can work at any point. I made a Memory card with FreeMCBoot on a chiped PS2, it comes with OPL and other tools, just different version from your but I think it should be fine. Now with this card inserted in a FAT not-chipped PS2 it loads FreeMCBoot fine, I can open browser and launch OPL without a trouble (it has less options than your version but has the options you mentioned and I set them up), but the issue is even though I followed all the steps you describbed from there... the USB HD seems to be empty in the OPL, I have USBAdvance too and it says there is a disk but it has no games. I ensured the disk is FAT32 formatted and defragmented it after copying the games in the DVD folder, I tried patching the ISO files with ESR patcher (I dont know I heard somewhere it was needed) but nothing works. Im using a Toshiba 2TB standard external hard disk, can you advise me something here? I hope it can be fixed somehow, thanks a lot beforehand =).

Edit: I installed the newest OPL version and worked, Im sorry for the trouble, as said great tutorial, keep up the awesome work =)

Last edited by asdronin,

banzai200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi! First of all thanks for making this tutorial, it seems quite useful, well I cant progress from a certain step but let me tell my scenario so that you can tell me if it can work at any point. I made a Memory card with FreeMCBoot on a chiped PS2, it comes with OPL and other tools, just different version from your but I think it should be fine. Now with this card inserted in a FAT not-chipped PS2 it loads FreeMCBoot fine, I can open browser and launch OPL without a trouble (it has less options than your version but has the options you mentioned and I set them up), but the issue is even though I followed all the steps you describbed from there... the USB HD seems to be empty in the OPL, I have USBAdvance too and it says there is a disk but it has no games. I ensured the disk is FAT32 formatted and defragmented it after copying the games in the DVD folder, I tried patching the ISO files with ESR patcher (I dont know I heard somewhere it was needed) but nothing works. Im using a Toshiba 2TB standard external hard disk, can you advise me something here? I hope it can be fixed somehow, thanks a lot beforehand =).

Edit: I installed the newest OPL version and worked, Im sorry for the trouble, as said great tutorial, keep up the awesome work =)
On the tutorial i used the newest version of opl, so it made everything straight forward, however, older versions of opl requires the id of the game on the iso name, for example "SLUS_213.70.Mega Man X Collection.iso"

Reactions: asdronin

asdronin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
On the tutorial i used the newest version of opl, so it made everything straight forward, however, older versions of opl requires the id of the game on the iso name, for example "SLUS_213.70.Mega Man X Collection.iso"
Thanks for clarifying, I had no idea it was like that, knowing it will help others with older versions, however nothing beat havng latest version, as you said its a lot easier with it, thanks a lot again for the info =)

Robeloto

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Best tutorial out there! Very well done.

I have trouble though starting the PS2loader and I've tried burning several copies with UltraIso(4x speed). I have a PS2 slim with matrix mod chip and I have no trouble whatsoever to start other burnt games etc. But nothing happens when I try starting the ISO with the PS2loader. Any ideas?

Robeloto

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Best tutorial out there! Very well done.

I have trouble though starting the PS2loader and I've tried burning several copies with UltraIso(4x speed). I have a PS2 slim with matrix mod chip and I have no trouble whatsoever to start other burnt games etc. But nothing happens when I try starting the ISO with the PS2loader. Any ideas?

So I replaced the laser with a new one. Did not work at all. Not even CDs. So I installed the old one again and now my PS2 will not spin anymore. Same thing happened with my old PS2 slim with matrix mod chip. Changing the laser brakes my PS2 slim. I am so unlucky. Do not know what to do. I just want to have a working PS2 with matrix....

steliosem06

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Let's talk of this console that has been forgotten on time
Well, after trying to show a way to do this for a friend on his ps2, i stumbled in a lot of misleading tutorials for the Usb game loading on Ps2, seeing even some people who still thinks that those usb connectors are useless
So, seeing that, and using this since Ps3 and Xbox 360 wasn't even a thing yet, i decided to write a tutorial on how to take that ps2 and play your games without even needing a dvd (mostly)

This needs a mod-chip, and will be Matrix mod-chip only, since i don't own any Ps2 that has another mod-chip

• Starters:

First, you'll need to launch homebrew (UlaunchELF and OpenPs2Loader) on the ps2
I've made a ISO with UlaunchELF and OPL already packed and ready to load on a ps2
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5YjFHrEIseIV2NQR2tJMGZkbnM
Burn the iso on a cd with speed 4x on any program (i recommend Ultraiso) and load in the ps2
XOzrsgR.jpg

This screen will appear, so here, you'll press circle to enter the file browser
n0ZWvEs.jpg

Here, you'll go to cdfs:/
W04lExM.jpg

This screen will appear (ignore the path, my ps2 doesn't have a DVD reader)
If you go into apps, there will be a ELF file
1eUdNod.jpg

From here, you can already open OPL, and play your games from usb (explained better as the tutorial goes on) if you wanna to have the CD ready when playing, but i'll teach how to copy the programs to the memory card, and have it as a second boot alternative

• Boot from Memory Card:
On cdfs:/ you'll need to press R1 on the BOOT.ELF file, and select copy
mVTV1qJ.jpg

When you press circle to select copy, a little green square will appear on the upper right corner signaling that you copied the ELF
pW458NN.jpg

Press triangle to go back to the file manager hub, and select Mc0:/
cZxCfeh.jpg

Here, you have your memory card, all those folders represent a game save
Now press R1 and select New dir
eDn91nU.jpg

Here, as seen on the image, name the folder BOOT, on capitals, and select ok
Go into the folder, press R1 again, and paste the BOOT.ELF file
mOvz4IT.jpg

And it's done, from now on, when you turn the ps2 on holding the R1 button, uLE will launch

I Highly recommend to copy OPL elf as well, since that will make the CD totally unnecessary
  • Loading games from USB
Now, what everyone was expecting, loading games from USB on Ps2!

First, you'll need your Ps2 ISO(s) (Google is your friend), you can put more than one, as much that your Drive can handle, for the tutorial, I'll be using Megaman X Collection
mVRo3Xv.png

Create a DVD folder on your Usb drive(formatted in FAT32) and paste your ISO(s) into the folder
ymEkIQe.png

(My Pc is in Portuguese, if that is a problem, I'm really sorry)
Name the ISO(s) whatever you like and place here (As the FAT32 won't support games bigger than 4gb, later in the tutorial, I'll explain how to solve this problem with bigger games)
And, while still on the PC, defragment your usb drive, as OPL won't read a fragmented game
With that out of the way, insert your Usb drive on the ps2 and open OPL
On the first loading of OPL, some things have to be configured, so this screens will appear:
fttP22B.jpg

DLhg90S.jpg

Press Cross to select Settings, And go to Usb device start mode, and change it to Auto
b72IfzB.jpg

And, on Default menu, change it to USB Games and select OK and on the menu, Select Save Changes
tOD0jv5.jpg

And, with that out of the way, press Circle twice and your game(s) should appear
RJrleuB.jpg

Select your game and Have Fun! (Some colors will flash, but that's completely normal, and can be deactivated in Disable Debug Colors in the Settings menu)
wAhiuDu.jpg

• Games bigger than 4 GB
Fat32 has a restriction on it's file system that doesn't allow files bigger than 4 GB to be copied, and, as some bigger games (Gta San Andreas for a Example) pass the 4 GB mark, those games have to be cut in parts to work using USB, so i'll show how to do it

First, Download USB Util from here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5YjFHrEIseIeEt4OUNXVUV6RzA

Extract all files and Open Usb Util
9Q4tB8G.png

When open, go into file menu and click on Create Game from ISO (you can do it by copying a DVD too, just click the other option)
Select the directory of the game in the left box, and the destination on the right one (recommended the usb drive), choose the iso on the inferior left box, and rename it to your heart's content on the text box

bp8wCp3.png

Done that, click in create and wait for it to load

exuJTX1.png

When completed, (if you didn't pointed the conversion directly to the USB Drive) Just copy the "ul." files to the ROOT of the USB Drive and the game should appear on the game menu on the ps2 when you plug the USB Drive

• OPL Features
OPL has a lot of neat features other than loading games from usb, and i shall explain some of it now

Starting with IGR (In-game Reset), this feature allows you to just exit OPL without even pressing a button on the console

Pressing L1 + R1 + L2 + R2 + Start + Select in-game will exit to the PS2 Browser (The screen that appears when you turn on PS2 without a DVD), It can be changed by going into "Settings > IGR Path" and typing the path to OPL or uLE or any other elf anyway (to make it easier, you can plug a keyboard to the other USB port on the PS2)

Pressing L1 + R1 + L2 + R2 + L3 + R3 (the analog buttons) in-game will turn off the console

Another cool feature included on OPL is the Video Mode Selector, which let's you choose the video mode on your games (Example, PAL games in NTSC and vice versa)
To activate it, just go in Display settings on the main menu, and choose your video mode on the video mode option
(DO NOT TRY THE HDTV OPTIONS WITHOUT A COMPONENT CABLE, OR OPL TURNS INTO A BLACK SCREEN AND YOU WOULD HAVE TO RESET ALL THE SETTINGS)

pmWzP2s.jpg

• Cover Arts
Well, now let's begin making the Game List more beautiful and organized shall we?
First, Let's put covers on our games
And to do that, we'll have to pick the cover for our game.
I recommend to keep it small, around 140 x 200, because bigger images cause this effect:
FcyASRl.jpg

You can make your own covers too, just be creative!

With your image at hand, rename it to Codeofthegame_COV (You can find the Code of the game with a Google Search, Opening the game's ISO and looking at the SLUS/SLES file on it or looking at the inferior right corner on OPL), The image can be either .Png or .Jpg

Example: Megaman X Collection's code is SLUS_213.70, so i renamed my image to SLUS_213.70.PNG

With that done, put the image on the folder ART on your USB Drive
srCxiB1.png

Plug your Drive on the PS2, open OPL, and voilá

vFTeJ3I.jpg

(way better, isn't it?)

To add backgrounds, it's mostly the same drill, pick a image on 640 x 480, rename it to Codeofthegame_BG and put it on the ART folder on the USB Drive

rRjnIlj.jpg

• Themes
Still with me after all this? Good! Let's continue

So, now let's make the OPL look nicer, I've packed some themes on here, so download it and just copy the THM folder on the USB Drive
And on OPL, just go on the display settings and select your theme on the menu and select OK.
Done. (Please note that not all themes are compatible with backgrounds)

ujqDuiq.jpg

yuv9m5p.jpg

• The Return of the lazy OP...

Wow, one year and something to update this, that's some laziness... however, i had waaaay more time in my hands last year, and now that i should be studying for the college finals, i'll finish this so there's no loose ends

OKAY, LET'S DO THIS

• SMB Loading
Ever looked at the Ethernet plug at the back of your ps2 slim anytime after 2006 and thought: "That's a useless thing"?

Think again, here's OPL with it's helpful features to make it usable again

It's been already said in this thread, but this tutorial is way more useful for the Slim variations of the ps2, since you could just insert a hdd on ps2 phat and do the same with faster loading and reading

With that said, this is the best method (other than dvd) to play games in the ps2 slim with fmvs or atrocious loading and the advantage of no fat32 iso size restriction, you can put any game with any size, but enough rambling and lets go to the tutorial

So, reading the tutorial until here, it's the same things you needed to do for the usb

View attachment 106520

This is my shared folder for Smb on the moment, with my DVD folder looking like this:

View attachment 106521

And my OPL on the ps2 looking like this:

View attachment 106528

Now, to Setup that, first we need to make a Shared Folder

With the prepared OPL folder with the games inside, Right Click on your folder and open Properties:

View attachment 106529

(again, Portuguese language pc, but stick with me here...)

Go to Sharing Tab and Click Share:

View attachment 106530

View attachment 106531

In this Window, you would want to check "Everyone" to Read/Write and Click Share

Disclaimer: DO NOT DO THIS IN PUBLIC NETWORKS, IT'S UNSAFE, DO IT ONLY ON YOUR HOME OR TRUSTED ROUTERS

Sidenote: My Share name is different than my Folder name because i did the advance sharing tweaking to my settings, if you want a simpler name for your share, Rename the Folder.

Now, with that done, let's setup the ps2

Connect an Ethernet Cable on your router and ps2 and open OPL

Press Start to Enter Settings and go to Network Config:

View attachment 106532

On that Screen, a lot of information appears, but skip to the "SMB Server" part

View attachment 106533

If you understand this, it's pretty straightforward, put your pc ip there, name of the share(the folder in the Pc), user and password (of your pc) and click ok, save settings on the previous screen and go to the "start mode" part

Now, if you don't know your pc ip address, go on the pc and press the windows button + R, type cmd in the text box and press enter
View attachment 106534

on this screen, type: ipconfig

View attachment 106535

Now, in the wall of text that appears, look for the connection you use, either ethernet or wireless

My case being Wireless

View attachment 106536

Now, Write down the IPv4, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway fields on the ps2 settings, put the share name (the folder's name) and user/password on your computer and select ok

With all of that done, go to Settings this time
View attachment 106537

Set ETH device start mode to "Auto": View attachment 106538

Click OK, Save settings and Press Circle

View attachment 106539

Voilá, now you can play games directly on your Shared Network

The advantages of this method over the Usb one is the faster loading times, and you are enable to play fmv cutcene games with less stuttering overall (just don't expect to stop entirely on some games, Kingdom Hearts 1 for example, it's intro and ending movie played smoothly, but experienced some stuttering, but the rest of the game and it's cutscenes played like a charm)

And that wraps up this tutorial, and i'm truly sorry for the delay on updating it, college burns me out like a candle and i didn't had too much time to update this, but i'm ending it here

For the OPL features, i truly recommend that you experiment with it for yourselfs, it's an awesome tool and a great console reviver
I also recommend the PS2-HOME foruns, they have been keeping OPL alive and updating it's features like crazy the last few years, i even heard that they made a way for the opl to run ps1 games in usb/smb, so go there and say hi

and that's it, good gaming people, have fun
Will this work with a Modbo Chipped Ps2 fat?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water