Tutorial  Updated

Updating from rxTools to Luma3DS

Follow https://3ds.guide to install Boot9strap, the latest and best setup you can have. It's super easy to setup, highly recommended to make the switch. Stop using EmuNAND and menuhax!!
Also, there's a step in the guide that has you move EmuNAND to sysNAND. So you won't lose any of your stuff in the end.

If you want personal one on one help with the process, send me a PM or let me know in a reply. It's also much quicker with my help than doing it on your own.

Last edited by MattKimura,

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there,
I want to update my NN3DS, it is currently running cakesfw...
My EmuNAND is on fw 10.6.0 and my SysNAND is running 9.2.0.
Tbh, I'm completely out and I'm not even sure what I need to do and what I'm running. (Havent done anything for like 2 years on my 3ds....)
I tried to follow the guide on .3dsguide (to upgrade from arm9) but my 3DS just skips Section 2 and wants to configure Luma.
Do I need to start from the very beginning?
There was no Luma on the 3DS before and I'm a little confused...
Your 3DS is not hacked whatsoever, it's just exploited to boot into emuNAND which is just a copy of your sysnand with CFW enabled over it. You would need to hack your 3Ds from the beginning, so that you can install boot9strap to it. You'd then have to move emunand to sysnand and delete emunand from the SD. It's a very simple process, the longest part is moving emunand though.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Your 3DS is not hacked whatsoever, it's just exploited to boot into emuNAND which is just a copy of your sysnand with CFW enabled over it. You would need to hack your 3Ds from the beginning, so that you can install boot9strap to it. You'd then have to move emunand to sysnand and delete emunand from the SD. It's a very simple process, the longest part is moving emunand though.
I'll argue that it IS hacked. As much as it uses a userland exploit and then escalates the permissions with a kernel exploit, I guess? It's still a hack. It doesn't become any less of a hack just because we have a bootROM exploit.

Reactions: wormdood

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll argue that it IS hacked. As much as it uses a userland exploit and then escalates the permissions with a kernel exploit, I guess? It's still a hack. It doesn't become any less of a hack just because we have a bootROM exploit.
Yeah you're right, I just tend to go into less detail when I explain it to someone who hasn't touched their 3DS in forever. But either way, he'll be starting from step 1 like any user who has a stock 3DS. From soundhax, to installing B9S, to moving emunand to sysnand, to finalizing.

Moph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you for your fast replies guys.
Actually I managed to upgrade from A9LH to B9S now, but I think I'm a little dumb, because I have to hold (L) now to start the 3ds, otherwise I get an error, maybe because I did the moving wrong?
In the End I can install cia's and I'm on the newest FW, so it would just be interesting to know why.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your fast replies guys.
Actually I managed to upgrade from A9LH to B9S now, but I think I'm a little dumb, because I have to hold (L) now to start the 3ds, otherwise I get an error, maybe because I did the moving wrong?
In the End I can install cia's and I'm on the newest FW, so it would just be interesting to know why.
Sounds like not holding anything just loads up sysnand, in which you had menuhax installed previously. Deleting the home menu extdata on the SD would prob fix that. But if you just move emunand to sysnand, your 3DS should boot fine without buttons held.

https://3ds.guide/move-emunand

Reactions: Moph

Moph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you very much, this worked now.
Now I have another problem.... ( Jeez I should've just made it stock again and start all over... )
If I install JPN cias it tells me to update the game everytime... After updating it, it's just the same over and over again
Can I somehow get rid of this? Or do you have any idea what causes this problem?

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much, this worked now.
Now I have another problem.... ( Jeez I should've just made it stock again and start all over... )
If I install JPN cias it tells me to update the game everytime... After updating it, it's just the same over and over again
Can I somehow get rid of this? Or do you have any idea what causes this problem?
I really have no clue what that's about, since I don't have any jap games. Actually I did have a translated game once and it would ask for an update. But then updating that would break the translation.

Can you confirm that you have the luma setting that says "User string in system settings" (Something like that) enabled?
And can you confirm that when you go to system settings, it says "Sys 11.6.0"
And can you confirm that you're running Luma 8.1.1 by holding select and hitting power to turn it on?

Just to make sure you're truly on the right page here.

Reactions: Moph

Moph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I really have no clue what that's about, since I don't have any jap games. Actually I did have a translated game once and it would ask for an update. But then updating that would break the translation.

Can you confirm that you have the luma setting that says "User string in system settings" (Something like that) enabled?
And can you confirm that when you go to system settings, it says "Sys 11.6.0"
And can you confirm that you're running Luma 8.1.1 by holding select and hitting power to turn it on?

Just to make sure you're truly on the right page here.

Hehe alright, in the end it doesnt matter since I mostly play regional games.

You mean the "Show NAND in System Settings", yea it's activated.
And yea I got Sys 11.6.0
And it is Luma 8.1.1

Everything works just fine now, got some little Problems with some games, but thats not the topic of this thread...
But do you by any chance know how to fix the End User Agreement issue? I've already tried Eula setter, but it didn't work...
Even if you can't help me thanks for the responses! You helped me alot actually

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hehe alright, in the end it doesnt matter since I mostly play regional games.

You mean the "Show NAND in System Settings", yea it's activated.
And yea I got Sys 11.6.0
And it is Luma 8.1.1

Everything works just fine now, got some little Problems with some games, but thats not the topic of this thread...
But do you by any chance know how to fix the End User Agreement issue? I've already tried Eula setter, but it didn't work...
Even if you can't help me thanks for the responses! You helped me alot actually
Hmm thats excellent, you've fully setup your 3DS with the latest advances now. should be proud of yourself for being able to follow the instructions on the guide, people usually can't read it properly and get hiccups here and there.

EULA, I've never had to mess with that since a millenium ago. I heard there was a tool for it and I think you just mentioned it. I dont know how out of region EULA works honestly. Your own region's EULA would be in system settings.

Moph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hmm thats excellent, you've fully setup your 3DS with the latest advances now. should be proud of yourself for being able to follow the instructions on the guide, people usually can't read it properly and get hiccups here and there.
Haha, well I've overread some parts too, maybe I'm getting a little impatient regarding these things, like most people do

EULA, I've never had to mess with that since a millenium ago. I heard there was a tool for it and I think you just mentioned it. I dont know how out of region EULA works honestly. Your own region's EULA would be in system settings.
I actually found a fix, maybe this will help people who have the same Problem.
To fix it get the cthulhu.cia, there's a built-in eula setter which works with 8.1.1 Luma.

Reactions: MattKimura

liezryou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys is this new method as safe as emuNAND rxtools of old? I'm still on 9.2 but i don't wanna update and try to install CFW if there is a possibility of bricking my 3ds. Or alternatively, is there still a way to use an emuNAND solution?

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Hey guys is this new method as safe as emuNAND rxtools of old? I'm still on 9.2 but i don't wanna update and try to install CFW if there is a possibility of bricking my 3ds. Or alternatively, is there still a way to use an emuNAND solution?
EmuNAND is pointless for most users as of now. Read the instructions available at https://3ds.guide . After getting Boot9Strap and Luma3DS as per the guide, follow the instructions on the same website to transfer your EmuNAND over to SysNAND. You *can* use the EmuNAND if you so wish, but there's no point for you to do so if you don' t have extremely specific needs.

liezryou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EmuNAND is pointless for most users as of now. Read the instructions available at https://3ds.guide . After getting Boot9Strap and Luma3DS as per the guide, follow the instructions on the same website to transfer your EmuNAND over to SysNAND. You *can* use the EmuNAND if you so wish, but there's no point for you to do so if you don' t have extremely specific needs.
Well the reason i was asking is because i only did CFW in the first place b/c using emuNAND made it so there was no risk in bricking my 3DS, can you say the same about luma3ds? I don't really care about my emuNAND stuff, so that's not a huge deal.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the reason i was asking is because i only did CFW in the first place b/c using emuNAND made it so there was no risk in bricking my 3DS, can you say the same about luma3ds? I don't really care about my emuNAND stuff, so that's not a huge deal.
its not luma but b9s that will allow you to unbrick your 3ds in the event that you brick as b9s boots before your fw (bricked or not) would & ntrboot can unbrick any software related 3ds brick . . . in short unless you have broken/cracked your motherboard you can fix it

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
It's safe. And even if you brick, if you have a flashcart with NTRBoot flashed to it you will be able to restore a NAND backup to SysNAND either way. Not to mention that, if your brick isn't, well, a complete NAND brick (aka you didn't screw Boot9Strap itself) you should be able to restore without the need for NTRBoot at all.

liezryou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright cool thanks for the help guys, looks like i will be updating soon. One last question though, will i lose the ability to generate pokemon through QR codes if i update?

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Alright cool thanks for the help guys, looks like i will be updating soon. One last question though, will i lose the ability to generate pokemon through QR codes if i update?
genning through QR codes hasn't been a thing for a while iirc, most people just edit their saves with PKHeX these days. If you wanted to bother downgrading after you get Boot9Strap+Luma3DS, you *could* use it, but eh, I don't think that's really worth it.

Hood-Boy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have currently rxTools with 11.2 on my emuNAND and 9.2 on sysNAND. I falsely already did "Section 1 - Prep work" from updating A9LH to B9S (because I did this with my 3ds which had A9LH [shoud've checked the 2DS too before]).

with the boot.3dsx of the upgrading guide, I get to the HB Launcher.
With my backup boot.3dsx it loads rxTools emuNAND (without SD-Card or by pressing R it loads sysNAND)

it had autoboot installed too.

Any advise what I can do save my stuff and update to B9S?

Last edited by Hood-Boy,

taodragon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you want personal one on one help with the process, send me a PM or let me know in a reply. It's also much quicker with my help than doing it on your own.

Hey Matt I'm currently on ReiNand and I think menuhax. I haven't touched my 3DS since 2016 and wanted to update my 3DS to Luma. I looked at the guide but it's really confusing me as I already have a homebrew launcher. If you could give me some help it would be greatly appreciated. I really don't wanna mess my 3DS up. I would PM you but can't seem to find the function.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"