Tutorial  Updated

[Tutorial] [Virtual Boy] Turn VB on without AC Adapter set

*i've set images as spoilers because images was too big, sorry.

You have a Virtual Boy, Cool! you have one of the rarest consoles of Nintendo! that's very cool! but... you don't have AC Adapter set... one like this:

ninadaptersetus.jpg

Okay! No problem! you can still mod your controller to power on your Virtual Boy without soldering!
*It's recommended to solder Virtual Boy controller + and - if you don't want AC Adapter set.
*This mod is very easy!

Just you need a cheap SNES AC adapter! I brought this:
CAM00187.jpg
-----------------------------------
My AC info:
Input: 100-240V 50/60Hz
0.3MAX
Output: 12V - 700mA

-----------------------------------
Okay, cut it, and search + and - in your AC Adapter, like mine:
2017-03-19-18-21-50.jpg

*If you don't know how to find + and - in your AC adapter, you should open it, and in motherboard should say, or use any tool to find + and -, like leds.

Next, in your controller, put the cables in the pins, Left is Negative, Right is Positive, like this:
2017-03-19-18-41-01.jpg

Excelent! now try to turn on your Virtual Boy, if works, congrats! you don't need anymore AC Adapter Set! (unless if you don't want AC Adapter Set, you should solder the VB Controller pins)

Also, you should put something, like scotch tape, something like this:
CAM00189.jpg

Anyway, here is my cutie virtual boy working with this mod ^^/ :
CAM00139.jpg
CAM00138.jpg

And of course, my repaired console :'3
(My Pokkén controller box and other box is my new virtual boy base lmao)

CAM00077.jpg
CAM00141.jpg

And no, this can't damage you virtual boy unless you put + and - reverse, so be careful!

I hope this can be useful for anyone who have a Virtual Boy without AC adapter set ^^/

*also sorry for the shitty english i have lmao

Also, when i had more time and more money, i'll buy another Virtual Boy and im gonna search mods, like easly TV adapter mod, or painting the Virtual Boy, Convert the Virtual Boy Controller to USB, Ahhhh! too much mods i want to do with that console! cx

*but school consumes me and i don't have enough time :( SOON TM I PROMISE!

Last edited by Alex4U,

Alex4U

i like pancakes
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
Mod idea: Replace the internals of the Virtual Boy with that of a modern VR headset...
Actually, I think I might try that at some point...
I don't think that would be possible...
First, the Motherboard is too big...
Second, no focus and no IRD focus too...
Would be a nice idea, but sounds like impossible unless the VR has too much space for the Virtual Boy Motherboard.
Also, the VB needs a special lents, (No LCD) So i don't know if that would be possible, possibly maybe TM
I want to do a lot of mods with that console! Like:
VB controller to USB
VB screen to TV with easy installation
VB Rechargable Battery would not be a bad idea too...
Re-painting the Virtual Boy, i would love it to have one green with black!
And much more! But... schools sucks, and i have a lot of homework :'( also sometimes i don't havs enough time to play or draw ;w;
Anyway, soon TM

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least get a multimeter so you can determine positive and negative wires. You can pick them up very cheap. You should never play around with electrical stuff without one, even if it is low voltage. As to the power adapter, get one that has the voltage as close to what is called for but not over. But the amps have to at least be what is called for, but is safer to find one with the amps to be higher, but never lower. If the power adapter has too low of amps it will get hot then burn out, and a lot of times it will kill the device it's trying to power at the same time. If a device requires say 2 amps, but your power supply only provides .5 amps, the device will still try to pull 2 amps. The power converter can't supply that much and will burn out. I repair electronics for a living, and watching people do things like this without really knowing what they are doing scares the hell out of me. Not trying to be disrespectful, but please be careful. Just because it works for a few minutes does not mean it won't burn out an hour or days later.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The VB power adapter should be DC10V 850mA. The one you are using has too much volts, and not enough amps. Sometimes you can have lower amps if the voltage is a little higher, but with the power adapter you are using you are just shortening the life span of your VB. Do yourself a favor and find one that matches the OEM power adapter. Thrift stores sell them for a dollar.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night