Gaming Unable to Reset Windows 10

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The very least I would do when selling a computer is download a linux live boot and run hdparm to run a secure erase

https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

That way they can't recover any of your personal details.

Then do a fresh install of windows. I don't ever bother with the OEM recovery partitions, they are a waste of disk space. You might have to download some drivers manually.

Kiker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The very least I would do when selling a computer is download a linux live boot and run hdparm to run a secure erase

That way they can't recover any of your personal details.

Then do a fresh install of windows. I don't ever bother with the OEM recovery partitions, they are a waste of disk space. You might have to download some drivers manually.
Don't you think it's complicated for your method ? resetting Windows is not difficult. as long as you can bypass the login screen ......

Last edited by Kiker,

Dougla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows.old is the backup of your previous Windows installation, and it could be used to roll back to your previous OS. For privacy concern, the Windows.old file should be deleted before selling the PC. But you need to take ownership of Windows.old folder before deleting it, and this can be done using the freeware called TakeOwnershipPro.

When coming to securely erase the drive, you can try to turn on BitLocker Drive Encryption and get it to encrypt entire drive sector-by-sector.

After all these are done, just format your drive and all your files are unrecoverable.

Bappay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Last edited by Bappay,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.