Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
EDIT: Upon further digging, it turns out most of the $50,000 were legitimate donations that were never disputed or cancelled; the guy did cancel a few donations and some of those claims were refused by PayPal, but most of his donations were undisputed and he really is in the habit of giving people money. Turns out all the sources I listed were just a circle jerk quoting each other and not doing any research, me included. So it looks like the real asshole in this case was me all along. [IRONY!]

Anyway, thread closed while the parties involved are done with the he-said-she-said and the truth comes out.

:blank: Donation trolling is the time-honored bait and switch prank usually performed by assholes. It's simple: dangle the shiny bait in front of someone, watch them dance for it, and then yank it away at the last moment, while yanking your dong with the other hand for maximum pleasure. Fun when you do it to cats, dick move when you do it to human beings.

:blank: The dick in question this time was a Twitch viewer usernamed iNexus_Ninja, the shiny toy was a total of 50,000 dollars in donations to various Twitch streamers (largest individual donation being $11,000), and the toy would be yanked away by means of PayPal's buyer protection and cancellation at the last minute.

:blank: So iNexus_Ninja donated the money, recorded the live reactions of the respective streamers to laugh at later on, and then attempted to cancel the payments... which PayPal promptly refused, citing that buyer's protection covers only payments made in good faith, and that donating with the intent of cancelling later on is not covered. Apparently there was enough evidence that the kid (The kid, yes. iNexus_Ninja is 18-year-old Anthony Archer from Australia.) had no intention of paying for PayPal to tell him to fuck off, deny the refund claim and charge him the full amount.

:blank: Now, PayPal isn't doing this out of the goodness of their own heart, or a particular moral high ground, because they can be scum at times, and by "at times" I mean "by default"; they are doing this because their transaction fee is larger than a cancellation fee. Still, it's something.

:blank: Little Anthony has since tweeted that he used his parents' credit card for the transaction, so there's no telling how and where this will end. If he had permission to use the card for his expenses, PayPal's claim can't be disputed. If he used it without permission, the bank can and should sue him for credit card fraud. And that's just the start; I will delve no deeper because legalese gets fractal real fast and it's too easy to get caught in the strings and the loopholes. It remains to be seen whether the Twitch streamers will get the donations in the end (most likely not, or at least not to the full amount), but one way or another it's unlikely the little ass tick will get away scot-free. Meanwhile I'm gonna sit back, watch how this unfolds, and yank :creep:

Sources:
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2016/06/paypal-denies-50k-twitch-troll/
http://gamerant.com/twitch-troll-denied-refund-116/
http://thenextweb.com/insider/2016/06/09/paypal-wont-refund-twitch-trolls-50000-in-donations/
http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/twitch-troll-donates-50000-to-streamers-paypal-refuses-refund

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understood everything from the article except the first part. Could you explain in detail or possibly give an example of this heinous act of donation trolling. I'm imagining in my mind what it possibly is but it's probably not what I think.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"If he used it without permission, the bank can and should sue him for credit card fraud."
I do not know what it is like in Aus but when it happens in the US they tend to first try to get the parents to sue their kid, if not then they tend to want to call the transaction legit (far more likely to end with the bank getting their cut rather than having to pay lawyers rates for going into court).

Anyway I have seen things like this used to far better effect in bigger boy finance (some of the best in dodging immigration requirements and other times fabricating liquidity). Anyway good to see paypal's cuntiness has some benefits to the world occasionally, even if it means I now have to watch for them borrowing more concepts from insurance world (in this case we fight for our best advantage).

Reactions: migles

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I understood everything from the article except the first part. Could you explain in detail or possibly give an example of this heinous act of donation trolling. I'm imagining in my mind what it possibly is but it's probably not what I think.
he donates money, then asks for his money back from paypal. that's all there is to it. this guy was waiting til the last possible minute to do the chargebacks too. no idea how this is even be possible tbh.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
This kid's an asshole so I get the sour sentiments here, but also $50,000 is too big a punishment. That shit could haunt him for the rest of his life.
He should have thought about that before he decided to behave so appallingly. This isn't an 8-year-old child who didn't understand the ramifications of what he was doing. He was an adult - an 18-year-old man. He should take full responsibility for his actions, and I have absolutely no sympathy for the enormous debt he has incurred for himself.

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
He should have thought about that before he decided to behave so appallingly. This isn't an 8-year-old child who didn't understand the ramifications of what he was doing. He was an adult - an 18-year-old man. He should take full responsibility for his actions, and I have absolutely no sympathy for the enormous debt he has incurred for himself.
I'm not defending him in any way, what I meant to say is that while what he did is deplorable, a debt of $50,000 is worse. His victims would have been, at best, deeply disappointed if he got his way, but otherwise unharmed. I wouldn't care if it was $3,000 or so, in that case I'd say he shouldn't be able to take it back, but $50,000 is more than an Ivy League tuition fee.

Reactions: migles

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm not defending him in any way, what I meant to say is that while what he did is deplorable, a debt of $50,000 is worse. His victims would have been, at best, deeply disappointed if he got his way, but otherwise unharmed. I wouldn't care if it was $3,000 or so, in that case I'd say he shouldn't be able to take it back, but $50,000 is more than an Ivy League tuition fee.
simple fact of the matter is he donated 50.000 dollars out of his own free will. paypal has every right to not allow a chargeback. especially given the circumstances.
does it suck for him? totally. but people make stupid decisions all the time. you gotta deal with them.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Don't buy it with the credit card of your parents, please.
i am totally not going to use my parents credit card cuz i seen a random guy posting a comment in a forum telling me to not do it...

but this will give him an unvaluable lesson for life... or not, depends how is parents educated him.. maybe they will get mad and in a week later his mom is still doing his breakfast like nothing happened.. or maybe they have a big house with a big pool, dad will not blink a single eye and the next day the dude is giving a party to his stonned friends (i watched too many movies)

In my opinion it's the parents fault, the dude is an adult and shall be responsible for it. but this is a case of bad parenting...
even if he would get the money back with no problem. what does he think? that the parents would not notice the weird credit card bill with huge values getting subtracted and added again? if i looked at my credit card bill and noticed something weird i would call the next second to the bank to know what the fuck is happening..
i mean, there had been several transactions of 50k total moving around back and fourth.. i would hunt for what the fuck happened even if all money was there...

anyway... "trusting" is not an excuse to leave your stuff without protection...
any parent person that leave the credit card or other sensitive stuff to "trusting" is just asking for it...
sure, everyday i trust companies my information, (for example microsoft and google) but that's another talk..
"daddy there is this steam game very cheap, can i buy it with your credit card?" here you have it son, go ahead
*kid puts credit card on fake steam website\fake promo site*
there had been times that i refused to help someone because they trust me..
i had a friend with poor vision ask me to withdraw money from an atm in a very sunny day, cuz he couldn't see anything.. he said that he trust me and etc, there is no problem..
but i simply refused to, why? shit always happens and he will remember that time he asked me to withdraw money, and i will be a suspect...
"hey dude, you understand lots of stuff about consoles, it's all dirty inside and making loads of noise, can you open it up and clean it for me?
*opens up, cleans console, everything is good, console is working fine*
>several months later
"hey dude, my console broke, it's all your fault, since that day you cleaned it's super quiet and now it broke, you have to get me a new one"

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
he donates money, then asks for his money back from paypal. that's all there is to it. this guy was waiting til the last possible minute to do the chargebacks too. no idea how this is even be possible tbh.
I already understand that much, I just don't get the trolling part. I've seen some Twitch streams for some games that just released, whenever you donate you get to say something towards the host live for everyone to read so maybe he spammed the host with hate messages then asked for a refund afterwards. Am I right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Chrono Trigger