Unofficial 3DS RetroArch builds

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by MrHuu, Feb 25, 2017.

1. manxbox

manxbox Member

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2011
    Chile
    can compile the tempgba for the 3ds unofficial.

2. BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247 GBAtemp Stoner

Oct 22, 2008
    United States
    I'm so high, I don't even know!
    So what version of gpSP are people using for best performance and compatibility on a N3DS. I've tried the latest stable(1.4.1 - gpSP v0.91) but it kept freezing every time I tried to load a ROM. BIOS is named accordingly and in the /cores/systems directory.

I'm having better results using the stable 1.3.3 - gpSP v0.91 but even that can be flakey when switching ROMs(freezing, crashing to the Home Menu). I'm just trying to figure out the best version to use on a N3DS. Thanks!

3. Excalibur007

Excalibur007 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Been really looking forward to updates on these, especially the wip unreleased ones. Any news?

4. matt!

matt! GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2009
  5. Akisai

Akisai Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2017
    United States
    The Handy Atari Lynx core crashes whenever you try to load a second game after one has already been loaded. First one loads fine, then attempting to load another afterwards crashes the core and the system reboots. Essentially every game in the whole Lynx catalog loads and runs at about 60 FPS however, except Ninja Gaiden which runs at 50.
    New 3DS with A9LH Luma 7.1 on 11.4

Edit - Silly me. Ninja Gaiden and a few others are in pal. They all run full speed.

Last edited by Akisai, Jun 20, 2017
  6. MrHuu
    OP

MrHuu GBAtemp Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    Netherlands
    I will be updating / cleaning this thread soon™.
    I still have some, almost finished, cores to look at before releasing. But most of these systems already have a dedicated port made for 3ds, so it's not a high priority for me.

For me, switching between games on the Handy core is working just fine. I'm only using the .cia build btw.
    I'll look into some settings that may cause this issue. Are you using default settings?

7. Akisai

Akisai Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2017
    United States
    To the best of my knowledge I am. Also using the .cia build. Core dependent resolution. I'll play around with other resolutions to see if that has any effect.

Edit - No luck with any amount of tinkering to remedy the problem. I deleted the retroarch.cfg off my sd card to make sure that I have the default settings. Here's a picture of the screen just before the crash and system reboot.

Attached Files:

Last edited by Akisai, Jun 22, 2017
  8. plug313

plug313 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2016
    is anyone else's latest PCSX ARM11 crashing on Luma 8.1?

9. matt!

matt! GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited by matt!, Jul 7, 2017
    Hopalongtom and plug313 like this.
  10. SaffronXL

SaffronXL Emulationer

Nov 17, 2016
    United States
    New Mexico
    Thanks for this thread, it helped me really step up my Retroarch game. 2600 and Game and Watch on the 3DS are a hoot.

The general consensus is only gbSP, Picodrive, and PCSX benefit from being installed as a CIA, correct?

11. ChicagoMel

ChicagoMel GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2015
    United States
    Which one is the Atari 2600 Stella core?

12. Hi-Dro

Hi-Dro GBAtemp Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    Anyone else having issues with retroarch 1.6 including random crashes and slow emulation in FB alpha?

13. Palom

Palom GBAtemp Regular

Sep 21, 2009
    United States
    Does the Stella on the 1st post work alongside stuff from 1.6.7? Or even 1.6.0?

14. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    Optimize psx to fullspeed possible?

15. SaffronXL

SaffronXL Emulationer

Nov 17, 2016
    United States
    New Mexico
    No...

16. AtlasFontaine

AtlasFontaine GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 18, 2015
    Venezuela
    Venezuela-Zulia.
    IIRC there are non-implemented things like Hardware Rendering that could improve perfomance.

Also, after being ported over, no effort/optimizations were made for that core to run better on the 3DS (since only AliaSpider was maintaining the cores).

Last edited by AtlasFontaine, Aug 20, 2017
  17. SaffronXL

SaffronXL Emulationer

Nov 17, 2016
    United States
    New Mexico
    I wouldn't hold my breath on it ever happening. Hardware rendering is not something that can just be implemented. There's not exactly a line of 3DS GPU engineers fighting to work on this.

18. AtlasFontaine

AtlasFontaine GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 18, 2015
    Venezuela
    Venezuela-Zulia.
    There are a couple of things that could make the core faster but yeah, no devs are working on it sadly.

SaffronXL likes this.
  19. Muxi

Muxi GBAtemp Regular

Jun 1, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Whitch version of retroarch is the best for 3ds at this time (exept pcsx-rearmed), and is it possible to integrate the last working version of psx-rearmed to that version (replace the existing core-file and install the cia of the working version of psx-rearmed)?

20. SaffronXL

SaffronXL Emulationer

Nov 17, 2016
    United States
    New Mexico
    The Vita's strength at PSX emulation pretty much forgoes any developer working very hard on it for 3DS. Which is too bad, because the control scheme and resolution of the n3DS would theoretically provide more accurate emulation. But there's no reason to get hopes up until someone starts working on it. Even then, a completely optimized emulator still would probably have spotty compatibility.