Homebrew Unofficial 3DS RetroArch builds

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm kind of curious. What kind of programming would I want to learn if I wanted to help out with that? I'm already at college for a Computer Science degree. If it's something I can swing a couple classes into my schedule for, I could look into it.

Reactions: SaffronXL

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Added 1.4.1 and 1.6.9 builds:

FBAlpha2012_NEGEO - SNK NEOGEO

These builds will place the *.fs files next to your roms, not on your sd's root.

1.6.9:
-Use a playlist to load your games
-Use 'RGUI' as 'Menu Driver'

1.4.1:
I'm still having issues loading large archives, so also here:
-Use a playlist to load your games
-Use 'XMB' as 'Menu Driver'

Last edited by MrHuu, , Reason: Fixed link
Reactions: SaffronXL

SaffronXL

The Grand Galactic Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And JUST when I was getting used to my root directory being totally trashed guess it's time to upgrade to 1.6.9

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome that you did this Huu! However, the audio has taken a hit. Not sure if that's caused by sticking with rgui or loading the files directly (my biggest one was able to load just fine), or if something else went wrong.

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Awesome that you did this Huu! However, the audio has taken a hit. Not sure if that's caused by sticking with rgui or loading the files directly (my biggest one was able to load just fine), or if something else went wrong.

I hear what you mean, not sure what causes it.
If it's the core i might be able to update just the core for 1.4.1

btw, XMB is optional, not required.

Edit:
Too bad, it's the libretro audio driver itself which was updated in later releases.

Last edited by MrHuu,

Jayzdabeast

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Thank you for all the great work you have done for us:) Really appreciated! But I got a little trouble in getting the CPS3 roms start working. I placed both sfiii3.zip and sfiii3.chd files into my rom directory and tried to load sfiii3.zip with the CPS3 emulator but a window popped out saying "failed to load the file". How could I get it to work? Thank you in advance!

trecko1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for all the great work you have done for us:) Really appreciated! But I got a little trouble in getting the CPS3 roms start working. I placed both sfiii3.zip and sfiii3.chd files into my rom directory and tried to load sfiii3.zip with the CPS3 emulator but a window popped out saying "failed to load the file". How could I get it to work? Thank you in advance!
Do you have any understanding of how MAME ROMs work with parent files and merged/split sets?
I suggest reading up on it if you don't because that's the problem 95% of the time why ROMs won't load. Use clrmamepro to verify your romsets with the correct final burn alpha version (the .dat files are on the libretro GitHub wiki, you can find them with Google)

Jayzdabeast

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Do you have any understanding of how MAME ROMs work with parent files and merged/split sets?
I suggest reading up on it if you don't because that's the problem 95% of the time why ROMs won't load. Use clrmamepro to verify your romsets with the correct final burn alpha version (the .dat files are on the libretro GitHub wiki, you can find them with Google)
Thanks for the reply:) I did some research on parent and orphan files and redownloaded a European version of the ROM with two .chd files, then I created a new folder named sfiii and place the two .chd files with correct names cap-33s-1 and cap-33s-2 and the game ROM named sfiii3 in the main directory. But still no luck for me...

trecko1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply:) I did some research on parent and orphan files and redownloaded a European version of the ROM with two .chd files, then I created a new folder named sfiii and place the two .chd files with correct names cap-33s-1 and cap-33s-2 and the game ROM named sfiii3 in the main directory. But still no luck for me...
That file you downloaded might not be correct for the romset that final burn alpha uses, though. Final Burn Alpha uses a different structure and naming system than MAME does. You still need to verify that the rom you got is the correct version with clrmamepro, and clrmamepro will rebuild the roms to the correct structure for you.

http://mame.3feetunder.com/clrmamepro-quick-start-guide/

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/FinalBurn-Alpha

Get the .dat file for clrmamepro from there ☝️

Also I don't want to burst your bubble, but I've tried 3rd Strike already and it is less than playable for fighting game standards... even with sound turned off and everything possible to get it to run as fast as it can.
I have to use my phone and a bluetooth controller to play my favorite fighting game on the go :(

Last edited by trecko1234,
Reactions: MrHuu

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

The MAME and FBA romsets are not the same, use the FB Alpha 0.2.97.40 romset or higher. The Internet Archive is a great source of information.

The CPS3 roms included in the FBA romset are combined in single .zip files, FBA doesn't use .chd's.
You'll need these .zip files on your 3ds, and load the .zip with retroarch.

Using a playlist i'm able to load most CPS3 roms from this set.

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Your work is great! Why aren't they added to the official builds because they are great, mostly stable and absolutely working!? Will you update to latest 1.7.0 also?

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Your work is great! Why aren't they added to the official builds because they are great, mostly stable and absolutely working!? Will you update to latest 1.7.0 also?

I've submitted some changes to the libretro git, and i'm working on getting some cores included by the build bot.
I won't be updating to 1.7.0 for now. There are some 3ds specific changes in the upcoming builds. I'll probably update to 1.7.1 when it's released.

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Those emulators can work with oficial release?
Yes, they do work with the official release. I'm using them with my 1.7.0 installation.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've submitted some changes to the libretro git, and i'm working on getting some cores included by the build bot.
I won't be updating to 1.7.0 for now. There are some 3ds specific changes in the upcoming builds. I'll probably update to 1.7.1 when it's released.
That's cool! Thanks for all your efforts! ;)

Reactions: LeoIeiri

trecko1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stella and Prosystem are taken care of by the buildbot as of now.
They are available in the latest nightly build.
Awesome! Any plans for a Colecovision libretro port, like blueMSX? It's one system that is missing an emulator on the 3DS, you can use ColecoDS on a flashcard but it would be nice to have one for the 3DS.

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Awesome! Any plans for a Colecovision libretro port, like blueMSX? It's one system that is missing an emulator on the 3DS, you can use ColecoDS on a flashcard but it would be nice to have one for the 3DS.

I'll look into each core, one at a time. Can't promise anyting tho.

I did make some changes to the Game&Watch core. Should be fixed in the upcoming nightly builds.
It's also worth mentioning, with the latest builds XMB seems to be stable again in my experience.

trecko1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's also worth mentioning, with the latest builds XMB seems to be stable again in my experience.

Thanks for this info! The rgui menu was driving me crazy because I couldn't use playlists with it, it wouldn't alphabetize the playlists and put it all out of order.

Just spent some time editing my playlists and imported all my games into them, this tool was a huge help.

Now I can look at readable titles instead of MAME rom filenames :bow:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water