Hacking UPDATE 4.0.0 RELEASED

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay... somebody help me understand this: if we are able to dump and write files in 3.0.0, then why haven't we tried modifying a game save to run arbitrary code?

I could be wrong, but I think it's because they are encrypted and that hasn't been broken yet? The ability to dump them and back them up is there but they can likely only be used on the console they came from. Somebody pop in here and fill us in if I am off track please.

_______

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I could be wrong, but I think it's because they are encrypted and that hasn't been broken yet? The ability to dump them and back them up is there but they can likely only be used on the console they came from. Somebody pop in here and fill us in if I am off track please.

They were encrypted for sure just like the 3DS and PS4 for many reasons, but that doesn't mean we can't modify them (even w/o broken the encryption). Since we have access to many of the system APIs, we can access those APIs to read/write the saves directly just like a normal application (aka games). But dump the "encrypted" saves and mod them on a PC would require the encryption key/algorithm for sure. (But again, after we get access to the needed system feature, we could just dump the un-encrypted save, edit them and put them back and use the device to do the encryption.) Many devs have shown game/save mod on Twitter.

And as I'm aware, we were able to run NROs via sm already? So that means we can actually run stuff on Switch if I was correct. Modified the save won't be needed then as the game process might just have the same privileges as the browser, which we already have in control?

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Selim873,

boscocraftXD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The whole reason I brought the Modified game save idea up is because I remembered the PS2. Homebrew required you to own a specific game (007: agent under fire) and swap glitch it with a modified version of the game. Then, It would load the exploit, and save to the memory card... like a game save....

D

Deleted User

The whole reason I brought the Modified game save idea up is because I remembered the PS2. Homebrew required you to own a specific game (007: agent under fire) and swap glitch it with a modified version of the game. Then, It would load the exploit, and save to the memory card... like a game save....
You are comparing a modified save, to a modified game. 2 totally different things.

Further more, the ps2 trick was replace a file in the iso with a hacked file. Once the game tried to load it went and ran it because at that time there was no security checks being run.

Systems are much more complex than that now. So no, if we could modify the game, it wouldn't work because we 1) Don't have code execution & 2) we can't hotswap in media on the fly.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: the_randomizer

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh..IDK then.
Yeah, the lack of a ZL button and a Select button are a little more glaring in modern games that use them. ZL isn't an issue in Zelda, though, and I don't know of MANY games that actively use select as a button other than an alternate start as "Pause"

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the lack of a ZL button and a Select button are a little more glaring in modern games that use them. ZL isn't an issue in Zelda, though, and I don't know of MANY games that actively use select as a button other than an alternate start as "Pause"

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe should work pretty well with this I'd think.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

alexj9626

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
Reactions: DayVeeBoi

boscocraftXD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are comparing a modified save, to a modified game. 2 totally different things.

Further more, the ps2 trick was replace a file in the iso with a hacked file. Once the game tried to load it went and ran it because at that time there was no security checks being run.

Systems are much more complex than that now. So no, if we could modify the game, it wouldn't work because we 1) Don't have code execution & 2) we can't hotswap in media on the fly.

I know. Sadly, hotswap glitches are no more. But if you think about it, it kinda paved the way for save editing... which if we could do it would be early modding. I was able to mod by borderlands 2 save on Xbox 360using Horizon.... but I guess we are a long ways away form that....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM