Hacking UPDATE 4.0.0 RELEASED

boscocraftXD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay... here's a thought that super early modders may remember: with final fantasy online, you could redirect the servers to play backup GC games on GAMECUBE... could we do something similar here?

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that hacks will never come to 3.0.1 or 3.0.2, I'm just saying that if they do, it won't be in a timeframe to satisfy these people. And it's likely that those two firmwares will be like the in between FW on 3DS that you have to update to a higher version to hack. There's going to be literally nobody on 3.0.2 why would anyone be working on it? A hack maybe discovered later that can be ported back to it, but its pretty unlikely that 3.0.1 is gonna be the next big thing.

I am predicting a Vita-like situation with Switch more so after reading this Reddit post by u/SciresM so people may wanna take a look at the history of hacking the Vita to decide whether or not they wanna wait on a low FW. Myself once I read that post I decided I'm going to buy a new Mario Odyssey bundle to play, and put this one (3.0.0) on my work desk to experiment with. And those people who are waiting SOLELY for piracy, you should probably read the reddit post. All in all, smells like the Vita to me.

The preceding is my opinion based on lots of reading and experience with other hacking scenes. Take it for what it is

I tend to agree with you about the 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 firmwares, although if there are people currently on those firmwares who are truly interested in hacking/homebrew, I would still caution them about updating to 4.0.0 at this time, at least until Switch hackers have had more time to look into this update (if any do look into it). While I doubt it, there could be a possibility that a potentially useful bug on 3.0.1/3.0.2 has been patched with this update. Also, while I am not familiar with the 3DS or Vita hacking scenes, I tend to believe that if an exploit is found on a higher firmware, there will be a good possibility that it will work on a lower firmware as well. Personally, I agree with the stance of SciresM in this Reddit post (although I'm sure he is mainly referring to 3.0.0 and lower)...

As always, if you want homebrew, do not update. Lower is always better.

From looking at different lists of Switch games, and the firmware updates that are on them, it seems to be likely, but perhaps not a given, that a game will come out at some point that has the 4.0.0 update on it. FIFA 18 has 3.0.1 on it, and Super Mario Odyssey will have at least 3.0.1 on it, although it doesn't appear that any games currently have 3.0.2 on them. I mainly say this because it will likely be possible to update to an exploitable firmware at any time, assuming that you can get access to a cartridge that would have the (hypothetical) exploitable firmware on it. Downgrading, on the other hand, isn't possible at the moment, and from what I've read from various Switch hackers, doesn't seem to be too likely to happen at all. In other words, you should be able to update at any time, but once you do update, you can't go back.

Mainly, I think this comes down to personal preference, what each Switch owner hopes to get out of their Switch console, and whether they truly care about newer features that have been added in newer firmwares. Only the individual owner can answer this question. If you bought a Switch for hopes of hacking/homebrew, it is likely in your best interest to not update, if possible (at least until more information is known about Switch hacking). If you bought a Switch to play Switch games, then you will likely have to update to play them at some point, at least at this time. If you want both hacking/homebrew, and access to newer titles, then it appears that your best bet is to buy a second Switch console, with one being used for any potential hacking, and the other being used to play newer Switch games.

Of course, all of this is just my opinion.

Last edited by g4jek8j54,

boscocraftXD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, that was a long time ago, technology and security have evolved.
I'm not talking about running it for games... I'm talking about a network based exploit. Redirect the servers for save transfer, then run a modified game save. Twilight hack meets Wii u browser exploit.

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hackers on all platforms are losing heart. iOS, Android, Nintendo, Sony, XBox, Windows, macOS. It's a worldwide plague as people realize hacking is not worth it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm not talking about running it for games... I'm talking about a network based exploit. Redirect the servers for save transfer, then run a modified game save. Twilight hack meets Wii u browser exploit.
1. http://gbatemp.net/threads/possible-homebrew-with-smash-controller.484695/
2. http://gbatemp.net/threads/hacking-...itch-online-and-parental-controls-app.480693/
3. http://gbatemp.net/threads/why-hasnt-anyone-thought-of-running-homebrew-through-wii-u-chat.480338/

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fun-facts: https://twitter.com/qlutoo/status/921048470017933312

4.0.0 is the 5th retail burn, of 32 (until a revision may reset the clock at some point for some (possibly large) segment of hardware). The Switch launched in March 03, 2017.

Since then:
  1. 2.0.0 was distributed on the first day. - 2nd Fuse Burned (Bit_5 is burned for all retail units so we start at 1.)
  2. 3.0.0 was released on 6/19/2017. This had a critical flaw and was patched again shortly after. - 3rd Fuse Burned.
  3. 3.0.1 was released 7/31/2017, almost immediately to fix the flaw in 3.0.0. - 4th Fuse Burned.
  4. 4.0.0 was release yesterday, 10/18/2017. - 5th Fuse Burned.
With the quick burns from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1 due to a critical flaw, the timetable to running out of all Bits (0-31), we'd currently need ~3.7 or ~4 years more to run out. But as it is unlikely that we will burn another fuse this year and that it is also unlikely we will see many repeated quick-snipes like 3.0.0-3.0.1 again (or at least with similar frequency) a counter-biased analysis would suggest a burn every ~3-4 months. Aside from the bad-burn on 3.0.0 to 3.0.1 they seem to have an average of roughly 3 months. This gives us a window of (from here on):

...6-7 years more (long after the console has been replaced).

Even in the fastest burn-rate right now, the Switch would running into end of life and its successor by the time we ran out of fuse protection and while also completely discounting hardware revision clock-resets. This in mind, I recommend reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_for_Godot

lol

Though if I made any mistakes in my paper-napkin math, do let me know.

Last edited by V-Temp,

Raverrevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what, I own so many consoles and so many handhelds, I've hacked out so many, and I've pirated so many games on them. In the end it definitely is personal preference, but from experience I can definitely say that it's more worth it to just enjoy the unique new titles whenever they're released. I'm sure that if any hacks were ever to be released at this stage they would be in their infancy and you won't get to the pirate scene in years if ever. I can't imagine anyone resisting updating a PS4. They have sales every single week with games being around $5-10.

If you are an adult with a savings account, a steady job, own a hacked out PS Vita/PSP/3DS, then hacks to the Switch will bring the absolute minimal. It's not like magically it'll be this powerhouse of a console when emulators do come out.

Ah sorry for the rant, everyone's free to make their own choice, people playing great games win in the end, but the better games make the choices harder.

RyleWeststar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hackers on all platforms are losing heart. iOS, Android, Nintendo, Sony, XBox, Windows, macOS. It's a worldwide plague as people realize hacking is not worth it.
Nah, it's just more profitable to use those skills elsewhere. Windows, macOS, Android and iOS are still very heavily focused on, just look at all the CVEs, research and malware targeting those platforms.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You didn't expect Nintendo to do something different? Are you new to the gaming world or what? Your points are all opinions and will be treated as such. Considering that the console is objectively portable. You only finding use on the toilet is your case specific usage. So, yeah.

Storage speed is fine. It's also no secret that flash based storage is more expensive than mechanical. Not sure where you're heading with that one. I would hope they'd be smart enough to avoid a mechanical drive in this type of system for a plethora of reasons.

It's a $300 tablet with tablet specs. As stated above, not sure what you're expecting. If you feel you wasted money, you can easily recoup that. I do agree that the joycons need reworked. There's a mockup on a subreddit for "procons". What an interesting and unironic name.

No glass on the screen? Is that really worthy of a con? 9 times out of 10 you'd buy a screen protector (glass or otherwise) for the device.

No save backups just outright sucks. Especially in this day and age of cloud services. Sold my Switch, and now I've lost 500 hours of BotW.. So that's cool.

Online services are coming, but will more than likely suck in comparison to Xbox Live and PSN.

This update FINALLY gives us a way to migrate saves to a new system. Doesn't change the fact that there's no public method of backing saves up to use on a new console or later down the road.

I'm wasn't surprised by the Switch at all. I knew I wasn't going to like the system. However, it's the only way to play Nintendo's first and second party games. I wish they'd go 3rd party but I don't see that ever happening. Not new to the gaming world at all. I'm 37. I was coming up in the heyday of the NES. Yes, they are opinions. Opinions shouldn't have to be prefaced with, "in my opinion." The reader should be able to differentiate between opinions and stated facts. If I was a student and/or rode a lot of mass transit I would probably love the Switch's portable feature (if I could tolerate using the joy-cons). Not going anywhere with the point about MicroSD card pricing. Just saying it's more expensive $ per GB wise. Cool that there is a MicroSD card slot for the portable aspect, but being able to use USB HDDs would be nice so you'd have an option for much more storage at a lower price. I didn't mean to suggest that it should have had a spinning drive in it. 0 out of 10 times I buy a screen protector. Gorilla glass doesn't scratch as easy as people seem to think. I haven't yet scratched a phone display, nor have I cracked one. It will likely happen some day but I'll use some of the money I saved from not buying cases or screen protectors to replace it.

Thank you for the reply.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just to clarify when most people buy a switch, they get it because despite all your ranting, the vast majority of the titles that are good are exclusives(which cans your rubbish theory of 90% of games on better platforms) and its hybrid.
If you wan't to convince me that PS4 and Obone are better, 99% of their games can be played at higher graphics/FPS on a good gaming PC. Find another platform that can play mario oddysey, upcoming yoshi games, smash brothers, zeldas, kirbys, donkey kongs.... at a better resolution then try and convince people the switch is shit. If you don't like the abundance of exlusive games then obviously your going to be a hater, but if you don't get why people are interested in what is going to be the most successful console probably in the next decade, the most powerful portable one currently and the first hybrid, with the largest amount of successful exclusives, its you that has a problem summing up reality.

I agree. I have no use for the XO or PS4. I have a beast PC. I buy Nintendo consoles for the exclusives. I don't like the hardware, but I need it for the software. I'd love to see Nintendo games on Steam but it ain't gonna happen.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Fun-facts: https://twitter.com/qlutoo/status/921048470017933312

4.0.0 is the 5th retail burn, of 32 (until a revision may reset the clock at some point for some (possibly large) segment of hardware). The Switch launched in March 03, 2017.

Since then:
  1. 2.0.0 was distributed on the first day. - 2nd Fuse Burned (Bit_5 is burned for all retail units so we start at 1.)
  2. 3.0.0 was released on 6/19/2017. This had a critical flaw and was patched again shortly after. - 3rd Fuse Burned.
  3. 3.0.1 was released 7/31/2017, almost immediately to fix the flaw in 3.0.0. - 4th Fuse Burned.
  4. 4.0.0 was release yesterday, 10/18/2017. - 5th Fuse Burned.
With the quick burns from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1 due to a critical flaw, the timetable to running out of all Bits (0-31), we'd currently need ~3.7 or ~4 years more to run out. But as it is unlikely that we will burn another fuse this year and that it is also unlikely we will see many repeated quick-snipes like 3.0.0-3.0.1 again (or at least with similar frequency) a counter-biased analysis would suggest a burn every ~3-4 months. Aside from the bad-burn on 3.0.0 to 3.0.1 they seem to have an average of roughly 3 months. This gives us a window of (from here on):

...6-7 years more (long after the console has been replaced).

Even in the fastest burn-rate right now, the Switch would running into end of life and its successor by the time we ran out of fuse protection and while also completely discounting hardware revision clock-resets. This in mind, I recommend reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_for_Godot

lol

Though if I made any mistakes in my paper-napkin math, do let me know.
What would happen if (theoretically) Nintendo ends up burning all the fuses with updates before the console's end of life?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think at this point, only Metroid Prime 4 could cause me to update past 3.0.0, and that's only if it looks as good as the other three titles. I suspect a lot of progress will be made on the homebrew front long before that.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I think at this point, only Metroid Prime 4 could cause me to update past 3.0.0, and that's only if it looks as good as the other three titles. I suspect a lot of progress will be made on the homebrew front long before that.
Same here.
Metroid Prime 4 is without a doubt the one and only real exclusive title I'm looking for the Switch.
I mean, I have Odyssey, RE Revelations 2 and Doom on my tracks as well, but Odyssey I might get to play with a friend, and the other two are on other consoles, so no loss there.

Only Metroid Prime 4 will tell if I update that shit or not xD

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same here.
Metroid Prime 4 is without a doubt the one and only real exclusive title I'm looking for the Switch.
I mean, I have Odyssey, RE Revelations 2 and Doom on my tracks as well, but Odyssey I might get to play with a friend, and the other two are on other consoles, so no loss there.

Only Metroid Prime 4 will tell if I update that shit or not xD
That's how I feel about Odyssey. It's tempting to update for it, but it's not a must-have, and I'm sure one or two of my friends will pick it up.

Other than MP4, Pokémon, and Odyssey, nothing tempts me.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That's how I feel about Odyssey. It's tempting to update for it, but it's not a must-have, and I'm sure one or two of my friends will pick it up.
Yeah without a doubt.
It seems it will be quite nice, but not a must-have at release date for me.
Besides, it's not like I will get spoilers out of the game when it's released or something.
What is there to spoil? Mario & Cappy will rescue Peach & Crowny, nothing special there lol.

The merit of the game is on its gameplay alone, and I can experience that by myself when I want to and get to it.
Metroid Prime 4 is a WHOLE different beast compared to Odyssey, which is why it will be the real deal breaker here.

Reactions: Lacius

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm already on 3.0.1, so what's the point in me waiting for an exploit that will never happen. I may as well go all the way. I sure as hell aren't willing to spend money on a used/refurbished or even new Switch just to have it collect dust.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm already on 3.0.1, so what's the point in me waiting for an exploit that will never happen. I may as well go all the way. I sure as hell aren't willing to spend money on a used/refurbished or even new Switch just to have it collect dust.
There's probably no reason not to update to 4.0.0 if you're already on 3.0.1 or 3.0.2, but unless there was a really good reason to update, I'd just stay on 3.0.1.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Unless you really want that 30 seconds recording feature, sure, go ahead.
In the meanwhile, I suggest you disconnect the Switch from Wifi asap, and if you have to update, let it be through game updates instead of internet, that should give you sometime without sacrificing games to play.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's probably no reason not to update to 4.0.0 if you're already on 3.0.1 or 3.0.2, but unless there was a really good reason to update, I'd just stay on 3.0.1.

I'm not gonna hold my breath or get my hopes up, it'll likely just end up in disappointment like so many great things in life. That said, I need to update my games anyways. I just hope that people don't single me out for deciding not to stay on 3.0.1.

Unless you really want that 30 seconds recording feature, sure, go ahead.
In the meanwhile, I suggest you disconnect the Switch from Wifi asap, and if you have to update, let it be through game updates instead of internet, that should give you sometime without sacrificing games to play.

I'm not wanting to hack this thing, I already have all the homebrew I want on my Wii U, 3DS XL, Snes Classic, Wii, etc. Plus I want to update Mario Kart to the latest game version and Sonic Mania for the bug fixes. I don't want to wait around, I hope people can respect my decision to do so. I have my reasons, and I can play all the emulators and ROMs on other devices.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM